ROTEL RB-850 Amplifiers

4.85/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $250.00

50 Watt Stereo Power Amplifer - Bridgeable (1987-1991)

Submitted by Usubio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2013

Bottom Line:
Given the age of this amp I was a little reluctant to buy it but a friend of mine recommended Rotel being a good product. I've only ever owned Pioneer and Harman Kardon. After finding one advertised for sale locally and after reading some reviews I thought it might just fit my needs for a second room i wanted to play music in.

Im using the the Rotel RB850 to run a pair of BW 685 speakers on stands and they sound great! I was using a Pioneer VSX-1018AH to play them with and I would say the Rotel sounds just as good if not better then the Pioneer!

There is a switch on the back that puts it in bridged mode that increases the power, but not sure by how much. Im now thinking of looking for a second one so that i can have two amps and run one with each speaker. Right now the 50 watts per side sounds just fine though. Now I know why people say its better to get seperates instead of integrated amps or receivers!

it also weighs a ton and seems very solidly build.

Submitted by Darian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
I purchased two RB-850's back in 1988 and run them in bridged mono mode with an RC-850 pre-amp. It will be 2013 in a few days and the amps are still going strong after 25 years!! I use them to power Magnepan 1.7 QRs and they still sound amazing year after year. They are built like tanks ... sadly, they just don't seem to make them like this anymore.

Submitted by Tony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
IT'S A DREAM.

One of my favorite amplifiers. i've listened and owned a lot of stuff(amplifiers).

I've bought this amp several years ago from a local dealer for the fun and after reading the positive review of this amp.

I'v connected the RB 850 with a very good soundig and natural pre-amplifier Bryston BP25.

Wow, what a warm, fast, smooth, powerful and musical amplier is this. Few weeks ago I've bought as spare Rotel RB 971 MKII. sound. I was a little bit disappointed. Earlier I've had a RC/RB 980 combo. I've the same feelling with the 971, Clinical sound, a little bit on the bright side, Positive of both amplifiers (971/ 980) is a very good control of all kind of speakers.
At this moment I play the RB850 with B&W CDM 1SE, 7SE and the Monitor Audio Studio 2SE.
, in one word SUPER.

One thing is sure, I keep the 850, the 971 maybe?

Submitted by AJCalhoun a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
OK, here's the deal: I have a Sony STR-DA777ES receiver powering B&W DM600S3s L&R, and a B&W CC-3 for center. I have absolutely no way to run wiring to the rears (a pair of a/d/s L200 minis on Sanus stands) - at least no way that my wife would accept (and I don't blame her. This ain't a college dorm). For a long time I used the neat little Kenwood RFU-6100 wireless sender/receiver gizmo and it worked really well, but I knew in my heart that the rears weren't getting anywhere near what the front and center speakers were, and it was hard to balance the sound. Then I disocovered Acurrian's HomePlug system that sends and recieves as well, but utilizes the house wiring's extra bandwidth, and has a built-in 25 w/ch. amp. I started with that, and it worked better than the Kenwood device. Still, it was only 25 w/ch. to the rears, while front and center were getting 120 clean, clear watts. The Acurrian thing has an RCA pass-through if you want to go that route, but I needed an amp to make it all work - one that would fit in the tight space between the sofa arm and the wall where the Acurrian receiver was hidden. I used to own a Rotel RB980X power amp rated at 120 per side and it had been incredibly powerful and clean, so I started looking and before long had found this RB-850, rated at 50 w/ch, which has to be a bald-faced lie, because connected to the Acurrian device it delivers what sounds like power identical to the Sony's L,C &R channels! No problem balancing this! Of course the little a/d/s speakers may be more efficient than the larger B&Ws, but it just seems to not make any difference. The surround sound coming through them now is absolutely incredible. I keep forgetting it's not the Sony rear amps driving them. I already was a believer, but this is such an incredibly GOOD way to solve an irritating problem and maintain true hi-fi in surround mode. (The accurian HomePlug device is now available from Radio Shack and works like a champ, adding no audible noise or distortion to the rig). This is just another great Rotel product that seems to be grossly underrated, and no, they don't make 'em like this anymore. Never gets warm to the touch, either. Just incredible. For the price I felt I had stolen it.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Petek177 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent amp. I replaced a Kenwood Pro Logic Home Theatre receiver in part with Rotel RB 850 (power amp) and RC 850 pre-amp. I recently acquired a Yamaha DSP-E492 to complete the package. I use the Rotel for stereo and front speakers and the Yamaha to run center and rear and to feed signal to the sub.

The Kenwood was very thin sounding compared to the Rotel. The Rotel is full range, clean, detailed and amazingly powerful for 50 watts per channel. In fact, it seems to have much more real power than the 100 watt per channel Kenwood.

I also have a NAD 2150 I use to power speakers in other rooms. I recently reviewed the NHT super one speakers I use with the Rotel. In that review, I suggested the NAD was not as clean in the treble range as the Rotel. Well, maybe so, but I rewired the speaker connections in the room in question and that cleaned up the NAD. It is a good unit as well.

Back to the Rotel. It is a great value and on an absolute level, sounds very good to my ears. I think it has dual power supplies and that might contribute to its sound quality.

Purchased At:   yard sale