ROTEL RB-1080 Amplifiers

4.31/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $999.00

200 watts x 2 into 8 ohms, balanced and unbalanced inputs, 12V trigger input, removeable power cord

Submitted by Doug a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2016

Bottom Line:
I picked this amp up cheap off EBay as an experiment to drive 2 subwoofers in my HT system. At first I tried it as a front 2 channel amp matched with a Theta Casablanca and some Snell B Minors. This amp has a very harsh, shrill sounding upper register typical of a mid-fi product, however the bass weight and definition are actually pretty good for an amp in this price range. As a subwoofer amp driving 2 Kinergetics SW-800 towers it works pretty good. Having a damping factor of >1000 gives it pretty good control over the five10" woofers in each tower. Surprising the Rotel was able to handle the low impedance (3.2 ohms) but started to get pretty warm after about 30 mins at a Dolby reference volume.

My curiosity got the best of me so I moved one of my Krell KMA 160 monos from the my dedicated 2 channel listening room ( not recommended moving these around very often) and plug it in. Now the Krell is nearly 5 times the cost and a true class A amp so I expected a noticeable improvement, but given the Rotel's lofty specs on paper, I didn't expect the Krell to totally crush it. The sound quality was night and day difference even though the Rotel is rated at 40wpc higher than the Krell.

For a mid-fi amp it's ok as a subwoofer amp, but for 2 channel stereo it's pretty bad in the top registers. I think the Parasounds are much better amps for the money in this price range. This amp is no where near audiophile quality, but I suppose for home theater soundtracks it might be ok. For 2 channel stereo, forget it..

Submitted by josephjohn a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
I am sorry, but I have to give only two stars. Simply it is not good enough!
It was for a first week, but later I have developed bloody ears. Too much harsh treble.
The amp has a lot of power, but I could not deal with a treble. Maybe I should have tried so many different cables or other hifi equipment, but it was more simple to sell it to the guys who need power.
Bass is good, midds ok, but trebble is too cold for my taste.
And unit looks ugly with all those fins and blue light....what is next in hi fi? Purple light?
Whats wrong with red or green?

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by tilepronc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
Bought this to power my Martin Logans, Did a great job, MLs are very power hungry and if I would have had this amp hooked up to a more efficient speaker it would have sounded even better.I traded up to the RB 1090. Good amp and well built. Never had a problem

Product model year:   2007

Purchased At:   local shop

Submitted by kingston786 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2008

Bottom Line:
I have used this unit for about 3 months and all I can say is that it's brilliant. It was initially used to drive the kef fronts but I'm now usiing it to drive a passive quad coil sub. Impedance per channel is 2ohm(not recommended but no signs of breakdown or distortion), this amp is well built. However it does heat up abit but considering the loading, one would expect it to. I have not used the balanced inputs yet.
I am very happy with this amp considering the price I paid.
I am definitely going to buy a RB-1070 to power my fronts.
Later on utilise my 1080 and 1070 to power up the fronts in biamping and get a monoblock to power the sub.

My amp is currently controlled from a Rotel dvd reciever rsdx02 , that will also be upgraded to an AudioLab AVP8000.

Purchased At:   Unilet, Surrey

Submitted by Ajani a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Rotel RC 1070 Pre Amp and the RB 1080 Power Amp to replace my NAD C352 Integrated Amp. Nothing was majorly wrong with the NAD, but I was looking for more spice and a more open and engaging sound. To put it simply, the Rotel was all that was needed to really take my system to another level of performance. The highs were clearer, the mids more detailed, the soundstage was improved and I finally got complaints from my neighbours about the bass on my system (for the 1st time in 2 years!!!).... Not that my aim was to disturb my neighbours, but I was impressed with the amount of bass the Rotel combo was able to squeeze out ot my Mission Volare 63 speakers...

For anyone looking a good pre amplifier, but not interesting in spending mega bucks, I suggest giving the Rotel an audition. The same goes for the Power Amp.

Excellent value for money!!!!

Purchased At:   Bracks Electronics