ROTEL RB-1050 Amplifiers

4.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $399.00

70 watts x 2 into 8 ohms, daisy chain link out, input trim, 12V trigger input, signal sensing auto on, detachable power cord

Submitted by Crols a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
Wonderful amp for the price. Suprisingly smooth for the price; good midrange; non-harsh treble; nice powerful
bass. There is a very slight emphasis in the upper mids, but it's not to the point where it bothers me. Very little grain, and it's solidly built. So I say it's a winner.

Submitted by Rick Carra a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp after I purchased Paradigm studio 40's. The 1050 replaced a Parasound HCA 1000A. The Parsaound was to bright with the 40's for my taste and i had a rotel rb 971 that i was using and it sounded good with my new speakers so I bought the 1050 to use in a bi amp configuration with the 971 and I must say it sounds pretty good. I have always liked the rotel sound It really matches with the paradigms The highs are silky smooth and the mid range is excellent! It sounds like the instruments are right there in the room with you. You cant go wrong with this amp, For a budget system It is hard to beat!! This amp does not get hot at all.

Submitted by ryandunk12345 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
Excellent amplifier for the price! This amp drives my B&W DM602 S3's. They claim it it 70WX2 channels, I'd have to say this is a conservative estimate. This amplifier has all the power I'll ever need! And, even if I turn up the volume to deafening levels - this amp doesn't break a sweat! It is hardly even lukewarm to the touch - at very high playback levels - awesome! Very detailed, accurate, uncolored sound, a truly great bargain! You certainly will have a hard time doing any better than this for 400$ If you're on a budget like me - but still want a powerful but musical & accurate amp - you really can't go wrong with the RB-1050.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by mdunjic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
I use this amplifier together with RC 1070 preamp and pair of Monitpr Audio Radious 90 monitor speakers as my second stereo / AV system (DVD, Digital Cable receiver and TV hooked up to it) in my living room.

The sound is very nice, no listenning fatigue, movie dialogue and music are crisp at normal to loud listenning volumes which is perfectlly fine with my listenning style. At louder volumes than normal for me signs of compression may pop up.

I am very satisfied with sound quality although I agree with many that RC 1070 pre-amp is the weak link although decent in its own right. I may replace it with Dolby Digital Processor one day.

My main stareo system consists of Krell KRC-3 preamp, pair of Quad 909 power amps and Neat Motive 3 floorstanding speakers. It sounds better but it costs 3 times more!

Purchased At:   Oakville Audio

Submitted by gbod a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
I use this amplifier with the Rotel 1070 pre-amp and the 1070 line CD player. In fact I am so pleased with the performance, and the way it drives my Krix Liryx loudspeakers, I am getting a second one for bi-amping. On the unit itself, although Rotel market it as a multi-purpose amp, what you get for relatively few dollars includes strong construction, a cool running amplifier, with enough power supply stability and reserves to provide excellent dynamics, bass and an open stage. The amplifier is built around a fairly massive toroidal transformer, and is equipped with individual power circuits for each channel. The signal capacitors are WIMA (a so called audiophile brand) and the power reservoir capacitors are by BHC. The circuitry for each channel is symmetrical, with heat sinks separate for each set of transistors (like a "dual mono" set up). Interestingly, ROTEL do not adverstise the fact that the construction and components used are the same as the higher power (and more expensive) models, making this amp more of a bargain. The 70 W per channel rating is imho conservative, as it seems to peak higher than that, and provided you use efficient speakers, should be ample for rock, classical and more intimate jazz music. On the pre-amp, I think this is the weakest link, being based around mid-level op-amps, and I suspect I will get a lot more insight and detail out of the power amp if I upgrade it. Recommend you have a listen even if your budget for a pre-power combination is higher than the cost of this unit, but I would try out with other pre-amps as well. For the dollars get a lot more in componentry , construction and sound quality than any other product I've looked at, even at much higher cost.

Purchased At:   soundsmart