Roksan Kandy KA-1 110-Watts-per-channel Integrated Amplifier Amplifiers

4.63/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $895.00

Submitted by S Parfitt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2016

Bottom Line:
Wow. What can I say. I was after a 2 channel power amp to drive the front speakers, Kef Reference 203/1, in a surround setup (Ideally wanted Tubes but good Solid State is ok). Imaging is almost holographic and Tube like smooth. Tonally sounds balanced, yet very slightly colored, in a nice way. I have owned various Tube and SS amps including Radford STA25 and STA60/100, Leak stereo 20, Revox and others. Memory can play tricks, but I reckon this blows them away. This is definitely a keeper. Ideally might look out for another to Bi-Amp. Only issue is Roksans insistence that Led Indicator is Green for Off and Red for on. Swapped led connector and now red off, green on.

Submitted by SaabKen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
After 5 years with a Nakamichi AV-2S HT surround receiver, I decided to go pure 2-ch and get a mid-fi/entry hi-fi amp to complement a new pair of Totem Arros. A 5-star rating from What Hi-Fi ? prompted me to seek out the KA-1 for a listen. I also listended to various Creek, Arcam, Cambridge Audio, Rega, Linn (used), Rotel and NAD before deciding the Roksan was the best sounding amp around $1500 Cdn., not to mention its build quality. The clincher came when the local retailer was clearing out its floor models of Roksan gear and offered it to me for Cdn$850, a large reduction from regular retail price.

With about 300 hrs use, the amp is npw starting to reveal just about everything that's on a CD with warmth, openness and alacrity, not to mention awesome soundstaging. Especially fantastic with vocals like Diana Krall and Norah Jones, but with all types of music I put it through the KA-1 treats them with accuracy and neutrality.

A very good compromise between the laid-backness of Arcam, Creek and Rega and the disco punchiness character of NAD.

A most listenable and neutral amp for the entire segment at this MSRP.

Purchased At:   Local Roksan retaile

Submitted by IRG a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this Kandy integrated amp and the Kandy CD player all for $775 through an audiogon.com private seller. The equipment looks and runs like new.

The build quality on these products is first rate. The amp is over 30 lbs, and the cd player close to that too.

I have the Roksan geared mated to a a pair of Energy C-3 speakers on 24" stands. I use Monster Z-1 cable and PG 800 series ICs. This is a great little 2 channel music system for $1050. Hard to beat it at all, and it looks great too.

Great, clean sound, drives most speakers with ease, and my C-3s are very easy to drive. This is not a bright sounding amp, but it is revealing, so if you have a crappy recording, it will probably reveal that too. No tones controls or balance, which I thought at first I would miss, now I am glad it doesn't have it - keep it simple stupid.

Remote works fine with both gear, and I know I can resell it if I want in a year or two and get at least $500+ which makes this a real bargain. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Audiogon.com - priva

Submitted by drlutes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
The Kandy MKIII is an upgraded version of the Roksan integrated amplifier. It seems to run around $1000 in the US, but availability isn't good. After reading a number of reviews, it was on my short list of auditions--but fell off because it was impossible to locate locally for comparison. In the market for equipment in the $1000 to $1500 range, I auditioned a number of products from Arcam, Creek, Musical Fidelity, etc. If money were not a consideration it would have been the MF A3.2 integrated--very impressive in a set up similar to mine. But $1500 was at the max end of the budget and I wasn't quite ready to spring. Found the Kandy on sale as a year-end close-out demo item and decided to impulse buy. In a word, wow. I was prepared to part company quickly if the Kandy disappointed, I plan now to keep it a good while.

My listening room measures 20'x14'x8' and is if anything a little on the bright side acoustically. The Kandy drives a pair of Dynaudio Audience 70's and provides a line out to feed a Paradigm powered 12" subwoofer. CD is a Sony 7ES. Cabling is Monster with Monster MkIV interconnects.

The Kandy replaced an old Sony 5.1 8ES that was bought used because it was cheap and delivers 120wpc into a 4Ohm load--enough to easily feed the Dynaudios. Not that great a sound, but an acceptable interim solution. I've never had separate pre/power units, but have consistently found integrated stero amps to be far superior, for music, to stereo or ht recievers.

After being on and frequently in use for about a month, the Kandy treats all kinds of music very well. I mostly listen to classical, older rock, blues...big and small ensembles, and the improvements in imaging, timing, reproduction of instrumental and vocal timbre are extremely fine for an amp in this price range. The Kandy's performance has steadily improved and really started to shine after about 180-200 hours, when a slightly too aggressive high end lost its occasionaly harsh edge.

The specs are impressive, check the owner's manual on the company web-site. I am especially intrigued by its claimed bandwidth ( 100kh) and the robust 220 wpc bcd into 4Ohms. Anyway, this is the upgraded MKIII and it seems to be very nice indeed, so do give one a listen if shopping for an integrated in the $1000 range.

Purchased At:   Responseaudio.com

Submitted by Jupiler a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a new amp about 1000€ for my Dynaudio contour 1.3 mk2. Also I was listening to Nad c370,Marantz pm8000 and 8200 and Arcam a75 with Contour 1.3.It was the best amp I ever had heard for this price (950€). It even can be conpared with more expencive amps. It reminded me of the Densen B100 amp, witch was sold about 10 years ago.

Purchased At:   Klangpunkt Aken