Rogue Audio M-120 Monoblock Amplifiers

4.5/5 (28 Reviews) MSRP : $2595.00

Mono Block Tube Power Amplifier - Ultra Linear or Triode Modes

Submitted by dbqer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have a pair of the magnum upgraded M-120's that have given me goosebumps going on ten years now. I had to switch them into triode mode the first month of owning them to protect my hearing. I have never had any problems with these amps and still using the original tubes. If you never experienced the warmth of tube audio, these will make you a believer.

These had excellent reviews from both Stereophile and Audiophile Sound magazines.

Troy

Submitted by xdac a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
I mistakenly bought these from a less than honest retailer as demoes. Not his fault, tho. I had to have them no matter what.

When I got them set up one blew a tube and resistor. Back to the shop it went. After that they blew an output tube a month for 5-6 months. Not because they were defective. I sent them from Calif to Pennsylvania and Rogue said they were fine. Turns out that the M-120 circuit runs it's output tubes HOT & HARD, making them prone to failure. Plus, not being able to bias the tubes didn't help matters any.

Rogue advises using matched quads because of the bias issue. Well, a quad of KT88s every month wasn't in my budget...When I talked to designer Mark O'Brien at Rogue he said that due to widespread unhappiness with the M-120 Rogue considered actually closing their doors! Sounds crazy but that's what he said. I'm sure he was speaking figuatively to make his point but I could tell he was weary of hearing people complain about this amp.

The good news is when I ponied up $2000 for the upgrade to M-150 status! They did a tremendous job. Stripped it down, repainted the steel case, replaced the faceplate with the nice engraved version,

They replaced EVERYTHING inside. New transformers, circuit board for M-150, new top cover with holes for M-150 tube arrangement. New brass binding posts. The Triode/Ultra switch was moved to rear of amp (it was inside on the 120}. It has a meter to bias each tube. And it runs cool, now. I've had SED 6550s in it for a year and have yet to lose one. And tubes need not be matched because of the bias scheme. Magor savings if you lose one.

So, what comes back is a NEW amp, not something they replaced some parts in.
Was it worth it? You bet. They sound great, hold their bias for months and run really cool. Mark said they should last 3 years as they aren't run nearly as hard as the 120s. Plus, you can use different power tubes as the bias can be adjusted to compensate. More power and longer tube life. Works for me.

Some people say the 120s sounded better. I wouldn't know because when I didn't turn them on because the anxiety over their unreliability was so intense that I don't remember what they sounded like. The 150s sound spectaular, in my opinion.

If any M-120 owners are on fence regarding the upgrade, don't be. Especially if you bought used at a low price. (Ever wonder why M-120s are so cheap compared to their big brothers? See comments above.) You'll get back a pair of NEW M-150s. Mark O'Brien said the upgrade would cure all my amp troubles and he was right.

Worth every cent!

Purchased At:   hi-end store

Submitted by Gord a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
I am writing this after the fact. I owned these units for a little more than a year. I found the sonics great when the amps tended to work. I wonder how many of the reviews were given prior to the problems arising with them.

Parts failures were constant. Resistors blowing. caps blowing. Causing tubes to get fried. You name it. The tech who has been in the business 35 years indicated the design was not too good. The parts were too close to some of the tubes causing them to get fried by the heat. Some of the parts were poor quality. He was not too fond of the amps. These were the MAGNUM's. NOT the standard amps.

I sold them. Was fond of the sound (and price) and found another and a Magnum 99 preamp. Had the same problems with the amps and sold them as fast as I could. I sold the 99 as well and you would have to really pay me a lot to get another Rogue product. I only hope the 150 has better parts/ design. The 120's were a disaster.

I hope these two sets of monoblocks and preamp were the exception rather than the rule. However, I have read elsewhere regarding parts quality and I second that note.

As far as sound. Very good for the money. However, the intangibles with having them being repaired constantly might make you wish spending a little more from other manufacturers and getting better parts/ designs so you can use them more.

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by Gord a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by magisterludi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 120 magnum version.Just another vote that these tube monoblocks are an audiophile bargain! Rogue does not manufacture this particular model anymore,but they are occaisionally sold used or demo in the $2000-$2500 range.Tonally smooth top to bottom,liquid and extremely musical yet with the slam and power you would expect from a ss amp.Good highs,excellent mids,and deep,tight and fast bass.Large yet realistic soundstage with satisfying amount of air and detail when paired with the equally impressive Rogue Magnum 99 preamp.Absolutely NON-Fatigueing. Notes and voices hang in the air.Many recordings have a true live in the room quality.Equally adept with sparse accoustical and vocals thru classical and rock and roll.They do run warm and are heavy but self biasing so there is no maintenence.Using Audio Metallurgy GA-0 interconnects between preamp and monoblocks has allowed my system to totally blossom,but I've also had good results with Audience and RSA cables.I've had great sucess with Sovtek KT88 and Electro-Harmonix KT90eh power tubes.I've talked with both Marks at Rogue,great guys who will answer any question.Quality people,quality audio ,bargain prices.Highly Recommended!

My System: