Quad 606 Amplifiers

4.62/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $1495.00

130 Watt Current Dumping Power Amplifier

Submitted by jansendortmans a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
Purchased QUAD 606 to control Magneplanar loudspeakers - currently it's driving Kef Coda 8.2... Since I bought it, it has been mostly switched on has delivered ever since.

Purchased At:   Raf Hifi, Amsterdam,

Submitted by big brother a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
I¡¦ve been hearing Quad for more then 10 years. 34+306 to 44+405 to 66+606 to 77+707. I think 707 is not only the upgraded model of 606 but also the sound and the look, it¡¦s all-different from the old quad. It¡¦s a brand new sound. The new quad solves the weakness problem of pre-amp---a little byte harsh. And the weakness of power amp----a little byte slow.
707 is more honest, powerful, detail and fast. The most important thing is 707 must marry 77. And must with quadlink unless you link with other cost 600.
77+707 is wonderful for me.

Believe your ears.

***The rating is for 707

Purchased At:   HK

Submitted by bart honhoff a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great Amplifier. Gives more body to ESL-63 than the 306. You forget that you own them. They provide you with Music. And for that matter also okay for Surround Sets (Together with a 306 for the back-speakers it is a RatPack)
Maybe not as trendy as other Amplifiers, but these Amp will stand for many years to come, just like the 306 and the 303.
(I have to modify my 405 still)
Bit tricky with B&W speakers: Small and Big ones don't give the stability that KEF seems to have with a QUAD combo.
I tried several B&W speakers and none was as good sounding as most KEF speakers. (Even the old 104/2!)
With the ESL-63 great combination for Classical & Jazz. Voices cannot get better.

Purchased At:   Acoustique

Submitted by Jan van Gent a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was perfectly happy with my Power Amp (a self built amp from the Elektuur) until its temperature stability got out of control. I decided to look around for a good replacement with a solid company and service organization behind it.

I am one of those people whose dad already owned Quad equipment so I was tempted to buy one as well.

When I found my 606 for a good price I checked with the distributor for the Benelux. These people provide a superb service, they don't try to sell you the latest model but they gave me all the information I wanted and more than that. Thumbs up for Transtec in Rotterdam.

I then decided to buy it but I didn't expect the sound quality to be better than my old amp, I just though to have an similar quality amp but with less hassle.

Well was I wrong ! When I hooked it up to my Luxman pre-amp and my B&W speakers the whole set just came to life. Deep solid bass, crystal clear highs. The transparency that comes from this machine just took my whole set to a new level. Just when I thought I had to upgrade my speakers the 606 showed me that there's more in them than I knew.

Conclusion : Very good, worry-free, hi quality amplifier. Excellent distributor channel.

Submitted by Nickolas Horton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2001

Bottom Line:

Well made, good powerfull sound and matches well with quad 34 and CD 66 player. Sound is the same as Quad 306 but with more grunt. Internal quality was dust free and like new.

Purchased At:   Inherited

Which receiver for setup: Onkyo 606 or 806?

I'm setting up a home theater with Polk speakers (LSiC, LSi9, LC265i) and was wondering if the Onkyo TX-SR606 (vs the 806) would be sufficient for my setup. I'm going to be running a PS3 and Tivo HD on a 58" Samsung PN58A650. Playing mostly TV & blu-rays, and some games and music. Would there ... Read More »

$400 to spend - Onkyo TX SR 606 or Marantz SR 4002

OK, I know that the most important aspect in any purchase is how something sounds to me. However, it won't be possible for me to audition either of these so I'm relying on reviews and features. They look very comparable in terms of features, connectivity, and overall quality. Can anyone give ... Read More »

Atlantic Technology: