Quad 303 Amplifiers

4.76/5 (42 Reviews) MSRP : $395.00

45 Watt Power Amplifier (1973-1977)

Submitted by Stu Amato a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2012

Bottom Line:
An awsome amp. I use it with a Meridian 208 CD and Acoustic Research AR 40 speakers. I use the Meridian as a preamp. I found this little beauty at a car boot sale for $20 and had it rebuilt by an ex Quad engineer. Total cost of rebuild and amp $400. A bargain! The engineer said it should last 20+ years if it was looked after. I will!
Sounds so good. mid range, bass. treble. Bob Dylan is in my room.
The only problem I had was that when I played a CD with bird song on it and my cat ripped the speaker panel looking to catch it.
The bass delivery leaves ripples like a tsunami in my wine glass even at low volume. The mid range vocals you can count the number of fillings in the singers teeth. and the cat is totally decieved by the treble.
Expensive speaker cables forget it! Quad themselves reccomend lamp cord in the manual. Works fine. I use a good interconnect for the Meridian made by the engineer mentioned above.
Amazing build quality. My favourite challenge is to ask friends to pick it up using one hand. Nobody has managed it yet.
Get one if you can find one, have it rebuilt and you will have an amp that will last and sound great for at least 20 years.

Submitted by Stu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2011

Bottom Line:
Have wanted one of these since I was a student in the 60s right in the middle of the swinging London scene. I heard one coupled to some ESL 57s via a Thorens turntable. I thought the Kinks were standing in the same room. Alas student finances prohibited purchase.at the time. Then marriage and mortgages arrive with the same result. Happily managed to obtain a 33 303 combo with ESL 57s much cheaper being so 2nd hand (25 years old) had them refurbished and now the Kinks (and some of those other great 60s groups) are standing in my living room again.
The amp is bullet proof and every note is clear and defined. Warm and living sound even with a digital CD player (Merdian 518)
The engineer who refurbished them said they would last another 25 years no sweat.
So ok no remotes etc or dancing coloured lights but at my age need the exercise!
I still gave yet to hear a modern amp speaker combo that sounds so good with all genres of music. even hip hop.
Highly reccomended and affordable.

Submitted by teemacs a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
Brilliant product, absolute bulletproof. When it finally died (after 26 years' continuous service) I packed it off to Net Audio for a complete makeover. It's back and off for its next 26 years.

Submitted by Chas Underhay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have had a Quad 303 with matching 33 and FM3 for well over 20 years

Judging by some of the equipment I have heard over the years, I think that when that sad day comes when the old Quad finally goes to that great studio in the sky, I will have to dig very, very deep into my pocket to replace it.

The weakest link in the chain is the 33's integral phono preamp but this can easily be by-passed.

Purchased At:   Unilet Hi Fi

Submitted by Tyrone a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
My quad 303 amp and 44 preamp Excellent quality, very smooth and detail sound like a quad II valve amp I find that these are the worlds best amps recommend quad to anyone

Purchased At:   Private

'Cary 303/300' vs 'Musical Fidelity A5.5' vs 'Shanling CD-T1500'

I'm looking forward to purchase a new CD Player. Would like to ask for some advice which one of these three is better - Cary 303/300 - Musical Fidelity A5.5 - Shanling CD-T1500Read More »

Accuphase E-303

Hi there everyone, I'm new to this very interesting site. I discovered it about a month ago when I was looking for info about speakers. I ended up buying a pair of B&W DM 303 basically based on reviews I read on this site. I am very I happy I bought them and I am very excited about beeng part of th ... Read More »

What pre-amp for Quad 303?

I have been told that the Quad 33/303 combination is let down by the pre-amp. Any suggestions for a suitable replacement. Somewone suggested a croft vitale.Read More »

Quad 303 / 33 ????

I am looking at a thrift auction (no, I'm not gonna tell) for a Quad 303 amp / 33 controller. Obviously, people know what these are worth. The price will go up, but probably end up around the $100.00 range. A good deal. Do I really need one of these? Are they THAT good to justify 1960's soli ... Read More »

BW DM-303 No Magnetic Shielding

Folks : I am about to buy BW DM-303 for my home theatre. I read many reviews and it says BW DM-303 are not magnetically shielded ! In this case, will the picture on my TV be distorted if I place these speakers next to my TV ? I would like to listen to crisp and very bright treble & clear so ... Read More »

FGH 26: