Proton AA-2580 Amplifiers

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Proton AA-2580 Thermal Auto-Sensing Power Amp with Built-In Heat Protection Circuitry

Submitted by Stanley a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
This review is about the Legacy version of this amp. All I have to say is that this is the best amp for the money I have ever purchased!! I got it after reading the glowing review at Home Theater Magazine which refered to the proton version but from what I understand the legacy is the same and even has upgraded parts compared to the proton. Everything about it says high end from the gold plated inputs to the super high current amplification and first rate dynamics, bass and detail. My only worry about this amp was the presence of a fan but the fan noise is truly inaudible. The only time, in my countless efforts to hear the fan, that I did hear it was when I had it blasting for half an hour and then sudenly muted the volume from the pre and put my ear next to the amp. Then the fan was operatin at max speed and I could barely hear it!! Too bad these great amps are not still made.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by kouklaglikia a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2004

Bottom Line:
A fine entry level home theater amp a true step up from receivers. I use it to power my home theater setup as an addition to my marantz receiver. Despite the fact that the marantz is rated 100x5 this little amp plays louder is more controlled tighter bass and much better detail resolution. Compared to my two chanell B&K amp it definitely lacks in power but the B&K cost me $1200 and I could buy three of these five channel amps with that!! The fan noise is truly not audible in my system even with no music or anything on!! This might be because ihave the legacy vesrion of this amp which is suposed to have better components in it than the proton but I am not sure.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by Travis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
A good buy for the money I spent. I had purchased a used Rotel RB 985MKII a week before purchasing this amp and had the opportunity to compare the two amps side by side. Overall, the Rotel was slightly better, with tighter bass, but the differences were very minor without considering the Rotel retails for 4 times the price of the 2580.

There are large sonic differences between the Harman Kardon AVR 65 that I replaced with this amp. Comparison of just the amp section of the AVR 65 to the 2580 opened up the soundstage and DRAMATICALLY cleaned up the bass. Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over (DTS) used to sound boomy and distorted as the drum entered, but the 2580 tightened that up.

I have no problems with power from this amp, however, I am driving relatively efficient speakers (Energy eXL16's) and my room size is only approx. 14 x 18.

My only complaint is the fan noise. I recently bought an audio cabinet with glass doors that helps quiet the sound, but I left the back off the cabinet for easier component installation. During quiet music or movie passages, the fan can still barely be heard.

Wild West doesn't sell them anymore, but I have seen them occasionally on Ebay either under Proton or Legacy Luminance (just the Proton with an added label) for $ 250 to 275 new in box.

Purchased At:   Wild West Electronic

Submitted by Craig M a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is for the legacy luminance version of this amplifier. 5 x 80w @ 8 ohms or 5 X 120w @ 4 ohms. Apparently, Proton made this amp OEM for legacy and simply put the legacy name on it. Seems identical to the proton model. Anyway, I purchased this amp on Ebay as a new unit directly from Proton. Seems that they are selling off some overstock. Anyway, I hooked it up with their matching 5.1 preamp/processor and it sounds great. I've watched a couple of movies on it and listened to a number of cd's. I don't know if you could find a better multi-channel amp for the money. Punchy, detailed sound is what you get from this amp. As long as I don't have reliability problems, I'll be completely happy.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by saras a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a real piece of kit, good design and wery good build quality and i bought it on sale brand new..
But the most important of all is the power that this machine can deliver.. it will handle every speaker you give it with no problems...the sound is clear, deep and very punchy...For me it sound best with bright sounding speakers..
This is real power and no "rambo-watt"
5*135/206/263..8/4/2ohm...