Proceed HPA 2 Amplifiers

4.7/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $3250.00

250 Watt Stereo Power Amplifier

Submitted by Darren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
HPA 2 250 Watts per channel @8 ohms. I have had this amp over a year now, still enjoying it. I have mine mated to a pair of Revel F-30 speakers and a synergistic research power cord for mega current. I love the way this amp can go to dead silence in between music material. Soundstaging and imaging is second to none. The music just flow through that amplifier so smooth.

Purchased At:   Hi Fi Buys

Submitted by DPM a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
If you are an audiophile/audio enthusiast who prefers accuracy over euphony and also requires substantial power then the Proceed HPA 2 is the amp for you.

In my case, I had been running a Proceed AMP 2 (150 watts @ 8 ohms) into a pair of Hales Revelation 3's--a speaker that falls below 3 ohms in the bass. Though, over the three years that I used it, the AMP 2 acquitted itself admirably, I sensed that the Hales required a bit more current than the AMP 2 could muster. Sure, everything sounded fine for the most part, but when I cranked the system I sensed some minor compression and a lack of dynamics in the bass. Also, I knew from prior experience that the Hales were capable of gretaer bass extension than I was getting with the AMP 2.

So, I started on my search for a big amp with good sound. I wanted something that would give me more dynamics and power without sacrificing the APM 2's excellent midrange and treble performance. It was only natural that I would gravitate toward the Proceed HPA 2.

Now, having auditioned the HPA 2 for several days, I can say that I have found MY AMP. The bass extension that I sensed was missing has been found. Now there is a solid foundation underpinning the music. The low end is at once powerful, clean, and well-controlled without being anemic. If the bass guitar purrs on the CD--then the bass guitar will purr through your speakers. Indeed, kick drums will kick and organ pipes will plunder the frequency depths. This I was expecting.

What I wasn't expecting was the improvements wrought in the midrange and treble. The added power (we ARE talking aboout 250 watts @ 8 ohms here) has freed up the midrange and treble. The soundstage breathes. There is more space and more clarity. I'm hearing things on my CD's that I've not heard before.

As I said, this I wasn't expecting. I haven't even been listening for it. Yet, it's true. The HPA 2 has exceeded the APM 2 not only in the bass and dynamics fronts, but in the mids and treble too. I'm not referring to frequency response colorization or a lack thereof. No, I'm referring to the width and breadth of the music. The soundstage presentation seems to have grown slightly front to back thus allowing previously hidden instruments to gain some of the spotlight.

So, how do I sum up my feelings about the HPA 2? In a word, WOW!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Used over the intern

Submitted by Duane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
This amp continues to amaze me every time I listen to it. Individual instruments sit precisely in space no matter how complex the passage. Timbre is true throughout the audio spectrum. The amp has remarkable detail and busy mixes allow you to pick out any instrument and listen no matter what else is being played. At 250 watts it has ample power for any conceivable home listening scenario.

In addition to its superb sound, it also is well a thought out and well built amp. Yes it weighs almost 100 pounds, but it never runs hot due to its top ventilation and huge internal heat sinks. I also like the fact that I can flip a switch and listen to balanced or RCA inputs. The levels are matched too which means you can change the inputs on any channel without adjusting the volume.

It is a little on the pricey side if you buy new. However, on the used market I have seen these for around $1800 which makes it an absolute steal.

Purchased At:   SF Stereo

Submitted by Rajiv a

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a 2-channel amp that is rated for 250 Watts @ 8 Ohms and 500 Watts @ 4 Ohms.

My setup:
I'm using the pre-outs on the Marantz SR-18 THX receiver to drive the HPA-2. The SR-18 is in analog bypass using input from the Pioneer Elite DV-F07 DVD player utilizing the Pioneer's internal DAC. The interconnects are all 1m Tributaries SCA 150 cables with glide on RCA connectors. My speakers are the Snell Type C/V that have 2-8" woofers, 2-5" mids and 2-1" tweeters. The speakers are 90 dB efficient and 250 Watts @ 8 Ohms.

Review:

The HPA-2 is very detailed and has a large soundstage. It is not bright as some people claim, rather it will reveal if your electronics or speakers are inherently bright. It does everything just right with proper bass, mid range and high frequency information. There is no coloration and music whether it is instrumental or vocal sounds like music and not electronics. What is amazing is that even at the highest volume levels the HPA-2 is dead silent in comparison to the Krell. There is no hiss whatsoever. The HPA-2 does not get very hot because of its massive heat sinks and good ventilation system, this is something you can't say about the Krell.

The bottom line is that the HPA-2 is great for everything from hard rock to classical and jazz. The next step up would be to go with actual Mark Levinson amps that costs thousands of dollars more per channel.

Submitted by Nate a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
This amp has a lot going for it. It is both detailed and sweet. It has, from what I can so far tell, limitless power, for all practical purposes. When the volume goes up, it gets louder and more dynamic; it doesn't go flat. this amp compare very favorably to Levinson 331,332 and 333 amps, but the newer Levinsons do still maintain an edge. If the price of the amp is not a problem, and this is the power range you are interested in, this amp must be heard. Works especially well with Revel speakers!