Proceed AMP 5 Amplifiers

4.5/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $4995.00

5 Channel Solid State Amplifier - 125 Watts

Submitted by Deyorew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
I got a really good deal on this amp (just over $1000) so i decided to upgrade from my trusty Rotel 1075 which has similar power ratings.

Wow! what a difference! I don't have many amps to compare this too, but I have eyed this one since its release in the late 90s and i am not diappointed.

I am using it along with a McIntosh C45 multichannel analog preamp, Mirage HDT speaker system, and denon dvd, panaonic bluray.

Getting this beast has caused me to want to spend time with all my cds and movies, especially the audiohpile cds such as sacds and mfsl/dcc gold cds. It really brings a new dimension to the music.

Purchased At:   used on Audiogon auc

Submitted by saocosaoco a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
I am currently auditioning an ProceedAMP 5 with a Wadia 21 disk player and Magnepan 1.5 speakers. So far I feel this amp is giving me more of a smooth presentation of the music I listen to. Which ranges from Deep Purple's gold disk of Made in Japan to Sarah McLaughlin's latest. I have used an older Mark Levinson ML-9 for my amp. Does anyone feel this is a good move upward? I am getting this amp for much less than the price it retails for at $5000. I don't consider myself an Audiophilist but borderline towards one. If you are into home theater then this is a real gem. Five channels very conservative rated at 125 wpc @ 8 ohms it will rock your world.

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by kevin5brown a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
What can I say? A 125W/channel amp that weighs 110 lbs. That's more than almost every other *200W* per channel amplifier available. Fully balanced design up to the output transistors. Extremely smooth soundstage, always enough power. I really like the larger dedicated transformer for the center channel. Most ampmakers don't allocate any more power towards the center channel, which can carry up to 70% of the information in a movie soundtrack. Actual tests confirm it delivers up to 150W/channel, in the same league as the Bryston 9B-S(S)T amp. And no one complains about that amp not having enough juice for low end definition and punch. :-) Built like a tank, but performs as gracefully as a ballerina or butterfly when necessary. One of the best 5 channel amps ever manufactured IMO. Great deals can be had now that Proceed has been discontinued as a product name by Mark Levinson.

Purchased At:   ebay auth dealer

Submitted by Shon John a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
The Amp-5 has truthfully surpassed the test of innovation. This amp is simply sonic liberation. With a moderate power rating of 125 watts into five channels this amp more than meets the needs of true audophiles. Watt's simply aren't the key though, I must add. What set's this amp apart from others is it's high current and individual power supplies per channel. It doesn't compromise sonic quality for music to spike the face for home theater junkies (Me included). This Amp has been superb for jazz musicians such as John Coltrane, Miles Davis and contemporary jazz artist as well. I must admit I was skeptical stepping into unknown territory, but the journey has been very Pleasent! Kudo's hat's off to Proceed! (Audio Detective) My system consist of Integra's DTR-9.1 (God's Gift to man) Pioneers DV-47a NHT ST4's and rears Monster's HTS-5000 and Integra's CD 3.1 and Sony XBR 40's 800 series truthfully a force to be reckon with. Can't you tell I'm in love?! Visit Innovative Systems in Charlotte North Carolina. Although they aren't proceed dealers anylonger you couldn't fathom getting better equipment any where else. My God! Life's to short live it! It won't kill you promise. This system compliments Innovatives commitment to Sonic heaven... Kudo's

Don Miller!

Purchased At:   Innovative Systems

Submitted by Gregory a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Proceed AMP 5 is a great amplifier. It's five-channel design leaves nothing to be desired. It has good looks and clean, simple lines; it has outstanding build quality and reliability; it's powerful and dynamic; and it has great sonics.

The AMP 5 delivers a musical performance that is at least 95% as good as the more costly two-channel Mark Levinson 335. I listened to both amps, side by side, for eight hours on three occasions using several loud speakers (Linn AV 5140, Aerial Acoustics 8, Thiel CS6, and B & W 802 Nautilus). I also used a Mark Levinson 380S preamp, a Mark Levinson 390S CD player, and Transparent Audio interconnects and speaker cables. But it wasn't until I brought the Proceed AMP 5 home did I really appreciate what this audio component was capable of.

After viewing 150 DVD movies and listening to hundreds of CDs over the past three years, I can say, unequivocally, that the Proceed AMP 5 is the last amplifier I will ever buy. It's that good. Over the last 25 years I have listen to many amplifiers, including models from Krell, Mark Levinson, Audio Research, Classe Audio, and Conrad Johnson at various dealerships. Until recently, I was only satisfied with the sound produced by the all-tube design of Conrad Johnson or Krell. But Mark Levinson and Proceed changed all of that. Madrigal (the manufacturer of both Mark Levinson and Proceed) have managed to produce some of the most transparent and neutral sounding solid state equipment that can handle the sonic problems inherent in digital playback systems. I still like Krell and Conrad Johnson, not to mention Classe Audio, but when it came time to buy an "audiophile" quality amplifier for my home theater system, I purchased Proceed's AMP 5.

The bass is solid and well formed; it's tight and fast. It does not quite have the same extension and authority of the more expensive Krell and Mark Levinson models, but the bass has never disappointed me, and it does not, in anyway, cause me to miss the absolute extension available with the Mark Levinson and Krell amps.

The midrange matches the more expensive Mark Levinson amp and is a little more up front and lively than the Krell, which I find a little laid back. Of the Classe Audio amps I have heard over the years, I would say that the AMP 5 is comparable, but the Classe amps tend to be a little sweeter, or more mellow, which can be interpreted as being slightly colored. This coloration may work to an advantage with some speakers like Martin Logan. Conrad Johnson, by far, has the best midrange of the group, but imparts a little more coloration than the AMP 5. Not only that, Conrad Johnson amps do not have the same deep, tight bass and they lack the dynamics of the AMP 5.

The highs are excellent and easily match the sonic quality of the other amplifiers I have mentioned, but do not compare with the long obsolete Audio Research D250 Servo. This all tube amplifier has a very airy top end that is truly holographic in its presentation. No amplifier I have ever heard can match it.

All in all, the Proceed AMP 5 is a great performer: it does everything well without being the most outstanding amplifier you are ever likely to hear. I recommend it highly and without any reservation. In most cases, the DVDs and CDs you are likely to use in your playback system will not be good enough to take advantage of what the Proceed AMP 5 can do. If you are not satisfied with the performance of the AMP 5 in your home theater system, you may have to spend up to twenty thousand dollars, or more, to obtain a five percent improvement. If you have the money, then go ahead buy the separate amps, but I think that's insane.

Also note that it took my unit about one year (that's right) to fully break in. To speed up the process, I hooked up the Proceed AMP 5 and the Proceed AVP to my television system so my wife could burn-in the electronics several hours a day. And as my equipment ages, it continues to sound better and better. Also note that you need excellent interconnects and speaker cables to get the most out of your AMP 5. I am currently using Transparent Audio Music Wave Plus and plan to upgrade in the near future.

And one last thing, before you buy the AMP 5, or any amplifier for that matter, you MUST listen to it with the speakers you intend to buy. These speakers had better be good, otherwise you would be better offer buying a receiver.

Purchased At:   Audible Difference

1 In 5 Viewers See No Difference Between HD & SD TV

Some of the guys who took this poll must be blind. [quote]Nearly one out of five viewers cannot see the difference between high-definition (HD) and standard-def (SD) TV programmes, according to an informal online poll put up this month by UK-based computer magazine PC Advisor. The PC Advisor w ... Read More »

musical fidelity a3.5 amp hum

I bought a musical fidelity a3.5 amp recently. I noticed sometimes it hums. What the problem? any solution? thanks.:confused:Read More »

what is best 5.1 hdmi 1.3 4 ohm AVR or preamp/power amp under $3000

I am setting up a media room 14ft x 18ft. Picking speakers easy--- Magnepan MG12 or MG 1.6 with surrounds. HSU SUB. Projector Panasonic PT AE-3000. Stewart firehawk Screen. However, the AVR or Pre-Amp + 5.1 Amp is driving me crazy. I cant seem to figure out the best set-up. I have been thin ... Read More »

Sub-woof wiring with a 5-channel amp?

:cryin: Alright. I’m going to ask the question. You guys can make fun of me, or even kick me out of the club if you want. The fundamental thing I want to know is, what is the common method of wiring a sub woofer to a 5-channel amplifier? The details: My pre-amp is a Rotel RSP 980. It has a ... Read More »

Power/pre amp vs Ingegrated vs Receiver for 2-channel/5-channel

I thought it was about time these setups were all compared, discussed in response to my poll "what kind of system do you have set up" etc.. It appears most of the peeps who have both, prefer the 2-channel. There's a few logical reasons for that, IF you remove the reason "I prefer to have 2 spea ... Read More »

FGH 26: