PrimaLuna ProLogue Six Amplifiers

• S/N Ratio: 101dB
  • Input Sensitivity: 911mV
  • Input Impedance: 100k Ohms
  • Power Consumption (per amp): 210 watts
  • Dimensions (per amp): 11 " x 7.5 " x 15.5" (WxHxD)
  • Weight (per amp): 37.5 lbs
  • Inputs: 1 each RCA
  • Outputs: 2, 4 and 8 Ohm speaker taps
  • Tube Compliment (per amp): 2 - 12AX7, 2 - 12AU7, 4 - EL34
  • $2599/pair

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by AC Audiophile a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2013

Bottom Line:
    I Bought these monoblocks a few months ago to replace a pair of Rogue M- 120 monblocks. The dealer I bought these from said they should be enough power for my B & W CDM 7NT speakers. The mid range is very nice, but there was something missing in the soundstage, the bass wasn't as full. It was ok but just not great. It wasn't making my B & W speakers sing like they normally do. I tried all different speaker terminals, break in time of 200 hours, KT88 Power tubes and changed the preamp tubes. The Kt88's did improve the bass. but it still wasn't as full as it was with the Rogue's. These amps were not on the same level as the Rogue power amps, but I have to be fair because the the Prima Luna amps are 70 watts and the Rogue amps are 120 watts, so maybe it's not a fair comparison. But I do now believe B&W speakers need more power to sound their best. I also believe the small transformers are to blame. To be fair Prima Luna amps are built like tanks and are very good quality but just make sure you match them with the right speakers. If you have somewhat efficient speakers with flat impedance curves, the Prima Luna's will be great, but if you have power hungry speakers with roll a coaster impedance curves, like B & W, there is just not enough power in these amps to make them shine . I'm going back to Rogue Power amps or a Solid State muscle amp with my Tube preamp.

Submitted by DonW a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2011

Bottom Line:
    I replaced a Counterpoint SA-220 that died on me, and I felt it was too expensive to replace after having a channel repaired a short time before. I called Kevin at Upscale Audio to inquire about another piece; he steered me toward the self-biasing, 70 watt Prima Luna 6s. He assured me that they would drive the Vandersteen 2CE Signatures quite well, and he was right. He also added a 30 day guarantee on the tubes and one year on the previously owned amps. They are matched with an Audible Illusions 3a, refurbished and purchased from Galen Carol Audio in San Antonio. Both dealers were great. I have modest Canare Quad cables, which I may upgrade but have served me well so far. These amps provide a wonderfully detailed sound with solid bass. They are easy to use and easy to own, creating a wonderful synergy with the other components. They are both plugged into the same outlet, for example, no blown fuses. This is a product that cures the upgrade bug. In addition, after taking the cages off and turning out the lights, the glow is as sweet as the sound. I have had absolutely no second thoughts about this purchase.
    In addition, my dac is the MHDT Paradesia, powercords are Shunyata Diamondbacks on the dac and the Pioneer Elite Universal DV58AV with a PS Audio 300 power conditioner. Tony's Woodshop, also great service, provided the three inch butcher block pieces on which they sit.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by runernut a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
    I bought the Prima Luna prolouge six's from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio. I had purchased the excellent prolouge five stereo amplifier at an earlier date and was so impressed I could not resist these monoblocks when they were introduced. What can say that hasn't already been written and said before, these monoblocks are the real deal! Plug and Play ease for the audio-idiot and a wonderful refined and warm sound for the audiophile at a price that belies the quality delivered! I pair mine with Wilson Sophias, the AH 4000 cd player w/amprex tubes and the excellent Prolouge three pre-amp and have had audio nirvana in my listening room day after day. The el-34's supplied with this amp deliver as promised that warm el-34 sound with a rich tight bass that surprised me. They mate wonderfully with the Wilson's and should work well with any audiophile grade speaker. Kudos to Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio for providing audiophile quality at reasonable price points!

Purchased At:   upscale audio