Plinius SA-100 Mk III Amplifiers

4.9/5 (30 Reviews)

Submitted by ryder a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
It has been a while. I've bought this absolutely magnificent amp more than 5 years ago and many things have changed, except that the Plinius SA-100MkIII is still sitting right between the speakers.

Very tube-like and yet dynamic and detailed with great bass and soundstage. Great match with Dynaudio Confidence C1's and C2's, Totem Hawks and Forests and a few others.

Don't skimp on the source and preamp and I bet you'll be in for a great treat.

Highly Recommended.

Purchased At:   Audiogon (Used)

Submitted by rangeroo22 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is one INCREDIBLE SS AMP! A friend of mine who has the Plinius SA250 MKIV insisted that I try this amp because he was aware of the amp "merry go round" I've been on for a LONG time. I've tried various ss amps,as well as various "hybrids",and tube amps too,searching for audio nirvana.Many of the amps I'd tried previously cost 3-4 times as much as this Plinius. I'd finally decided to give Plinius a try and boy am I glad I did. This amp maintains the desired virtues of both tube and ss amps that I've owned such as tremendous ,harmonically correct mids,along with THUNDEROUS bass (well controlled) as well as no more rolled off highs. I've never encountered ANY amp that's as musical,yet powerful like the Plinius SA 100MKIII. I did alot of research before buying this to be sure which SA 100 to get. I'd read of various minor flaws with the MKi and MKII (transformer noise etc.) and decided the MKIII with the dual power trannys was the one for me. This amp defies it's power ratings mightily. I've got another audiophile friend who has ASL Hurricanes and my system is not far off the sound of his from the standpoint of the richness and musicality of the big Hurricanes. The Plinius still has better and "tighter" bass than the Hurricanes. I understand there are lots of factors involved in the total sound of a given system,my point is this: These Plinius amps are a GREAT,MUST HEAR,point to start building a truly "high end" sounding system.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Bae_junseok a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
cdp: cary 303/100
inter: frutech FA220
speaker: Snell C/V
speaker cable: Frutech mu-s1(mid and base) / NBS monitor 0(high)
Pre: Goldentube Audio SEP Signature / VAC Auricle / Bryston BP-12

SA100mk3 has silky high, warm mid like expensive tube amp, and excellent tight low base like good solid amp.
when i change the krell 100s and cf2000 with it, i was surprised at every fact.
it plays concert group at every seat and depth, instruments are there and not shake, and plays female vocal(jashinta) like she sings in my room.
the transparent and silky high is very impresive.
i convince there're many "A-Class" amp, but not every those plays excellent like this.
i think plinius can play source better then it is.
plinius has some coloring in high and mids.. and every aspect, it makes better.
the base is not "very-thght" but "euphony" and the edge of base is not sharp as mark 23.5, but not more sharpness is required i think.

the best amp is not the electronics but the musical instrument i think..
this plinius can plays every music much more then you can think about..

Purchased At:   from stupid friend(h

Submitted by ryder a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
Guess I'm a little late posting a review here. I have just upgraded my ARC D130 to this absolutely magnificent amp. (You can tell that I like this amp very much!)

Previously I was using the ARC D130 to drive my Sonus Faber Grand Piano Concertos, and found that the sound lacked sparkle and sounded lifeless. I was assuming that the ARC didn't have the sufficient power to drive the speakers well. Just then one of my mates recommended the PLinius SA-100MkIII to pair with my GP's. I was quite skeptical at first since the 130W ARC D130 didn't have the power and whatmore the 100W Plinius? Boy I was wrong!

Although the Plinius is only rated at 100W into 8 ohms, it is by far much more powerful and dynamic than the ARC! The dynamics and transient response are excellent. There was much more detail at the top end and the bass was awesome. I've never thought I will get such substantial results with the upgrade, and I am very happy with the Plinius. And about the switchable Class A/B and Class A, the Class A certainly sounds noticeably better than in Class A/B. The best that I can put it is that when in Class A, you feel that you are listening to a very powerful tube amp. The soundstage is huge and creamy, and the vocals are silky smooth. Only one minor caveat -the amp runs very hot and you will have to pay considerably more for your electricity bills.

Highly recommended. The best that I've ever touched.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by timwas1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
first and foremost let me state ive heard many high-end brands tube and solid state, living north of chicago helps. now i dont claim to be any expert in products like this but let me tell ya there is something so "right" about the pliniuses sound. the first time i read stereophiles review on this amp i loved the way it looked, the handles and heat sinks and the brushed silver, beautiful product.however the price point takes some getting used to, you really have to get over this and except it. once you get past that and find a dealer,be prepared. i cant resist this product once you hear it, it sounds so "non transister" compared to the others ,{live}. i find myself listening to whole cds, and i was always a person who listened only to favorite tracks. since aquiring this amp ill go to change tracks and with the first note i just freeze/ and listen. the best compliment i can give this product is its allowing me to enjoy more types of music,with no fatigue. my musical tastes are growing, im sold on plinius , there will be no changing my plinius gear. in about one year as a matter of fact ill be buying 2 sa 102 monoblocks {for sure} and take a serious look at any new pre-amps with home th. bypass.if they do that ill buy that to. also vince galbo in new york is wonderful and gladly takes time to answer questions,to him i say thanks. and to celestial sound, ill see you in about one year to fill my hometheatre with plinius electronics adding to my current gear, mirage om6s-om10s{rear} and bps 400 sub, kora hermes dac, lexicon mc1 ect... if anyone is curious about this product ill repeat what others have said this is as close to a live jazz performance in my living room as im about to get, buy it and dont look back. one last note the mirage ,kora hermes and pliniusus dynamical synergy just seems perfect imho. this is a system!!!!!! regards

Purchased At:   used