Pass Labs X 600 Amplifiers

Mono Power Amplifier

Submitted by Rich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am definitely an audio enthusiast, not an audiophile. I listen for sheer enjoyment, not necessarily to dicern every detail or nuance. I hope someday to mature into a phile but for now I'm not.

I had been looking for new amps for over a year, listening, demoing, etc. At the time, I was living in London with access to only Euro products and Bryston. With each new amp, I would insert "Junior Wells, Everybody Wants Some", Track 8, "Use Me". For those who like Blues, and especially Junior Wells, this song is heaven. It's a Telarc recording which means it is crystal clear allowing volume levels to creep into the surreal. So, with each successive amp my hifi guy would bring me, in pops Junior and in a short time the clipping lights start a flashin'. My Dynaudio 3.3's are built pretty tough and could take every thing these amps had to offer (and then some). Chord's top of the line product, the SPM something or other, which retails for nearly $20,000 ran out of gas long before me or my Dyn's did. It was unbelievable. From Chord I moved onto Naim. Same story different product.

So I moved on to Bryston and demo'ed the 7BST's and the new 15B, both with the Bryston rep in the room. A kick drum hits in the middle of one of Junior's songs that instantly clipped the 15B and brought the Bryston rep out of his chair. He swore to me that no one had ever done that before. The 7B's clipped even before the 15B while being rated slightly higher in output. Bottom line, when put up against Junior, I found no amps in Europe that could put out the power and clarity I needed.

Thankfully I moved back to the US before buying new amps. One listen to the X600's and I knew I was sold. Junior has finally found a partner that wouldn't give up on him when he needs them most. I don't think it is humanly possible to clip these amps. I listened to Krell but liked the Pass sound better (not to say that Krell is bad). As far as I can tell, these amps are nothing short of incredible. The highs, the lows, the clarity, the kick.... everything is there. But being the enthusiast I am, I cannot comment on their "audiophile qualities", but what I can say is that I've never heard anything like this. From an aesthetic standpoint, the X600's are beauties as well. All around, my happy meter is 10 on a 10 scale.

Submitted by Vincent Quek a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I only know how to be a audiophile after I had these amps.
From top to bottom, It is better than my palladium by miles. Incredible Bass, Sweet mid-range and the high freq. comes with unbeleivable clarity.I can sit down there and listen to the music for hours without fatigue now.

Buy one and listen to yourself and you will know what I meant. Before I have decided to purchase the X-600. I was looking into Gryphon Antileon Signature, Mark levinson 336, and Krell FPB 650c. Finally, X-600 is the choosen one. I'am not saying the rest are not as good as X-600, I beleive each has their strong point and weak point, but Pass Labs just happen to suit my speaker and room enviroment.

My equipment:

CD trasport- Metronome T-1i
DAC- Sonic frontier SFD2-MK3(Upgraded to 24/96 by Sonic frontier)
Digital up Sampler: Assemblage D2D
Pre-amp: Ayre K1x
Speaker cable: XLO signature 5.1
Interconnet: XLO sigature 2.1 and Tara lab Decade.
Speaker: Home brewed: Top Drivers fro Dynaudio Driver(Esotar T-330D, Esotar M-560D, Esotec 20W75)

Purchased At:   Hi End Research - Sinagpore

Submitted by Francis Ng a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I buy the X600 to drive my Acustik Lab Stella Elegans speakers. The result: the musicians are playing live in front of me. The amps are so natural, period.

My system consists of:
Accuphase DP 80 L Cd Transport (will be replaced after the SACD vs DVDA debut settles down)
DCS Purcell
DCS Elgar +
Pass Lab X600
Acustik Lab Stella Elegans Speaker
All cabling by Gryphon (Guideline Reference Interconnect and PSC Reference Speaker Cable)

Submitted by Adam a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I use these incredible amps to drive my very impedence-unfriendly Sound Lab Auras. With these amps, my speakers become as dynamic as horns! The sound is so accurate and clean, on many recordings I hear instruments that I never noticed before. On The Absolute Sound's Hearts of Space CD, you hear EVERYTHING HP says you should as clear as day.

The build quality is unbelievable and those meters are industrial magic. For full-range electrostat speakers, you should use either the X600s or X1000s to get the right dynamics and not overload the amps; the X350 is not enough.

I use Sonic Frontiers Line 1 tube preamp, Meridian 563 DAC, Krell MD-2 CD Transport, and PAD Collossus speaker cables. Everything runs through balanced connections. These amps will only operate in balanced mode.

Purchased At:   Factory Demo

Submitted by Bernardo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I was not prepared for the incredible improvement the Pass X600's made on my system. The Threshold T400 is an excellent amp as are the Muse. But the Pass is in another league altogether. To begin with, there is a sense of ease and natural/organic feel to the sound that can only be described as " being there ". There is an enormous amount of detail without being at all fatiguing on the ear. A complete absense of electronic sound, the antithises of bright or hardness is very striking because many reviewers claim a unit has detail when in fact it is just bright. The Pass amps almost seem to have the performers plugged into them and playing in the same room. This is actually a stunning revelation because the recording seems to have come alive for the first time. To sum it all up: transformational, revolutionary, spiritual. This is no BS!

Premier Mounts: