Pass Labs Aleph 3 Amplifiers

4.67/5 (45 Reviews) MSRP : $2500.00

30 Watt Stereo Power Amplifier - 2-Gain Stage

Submitted by Jake a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp used for a very good price used and have used it for about three months. I am a little short on time so all comments will be in the strengths and weaknesses. Please note that the review is for the Aleph 30.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Andres a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have a previous review on this amp 2 or 3 years ago. I have not changed my mind and I have new and renewed love for this amp. As my system have grown up from hi fi to hi end I found this is a great amp, as great as one of the biggest shining stars of the hi end can be. Now my system have an upgraded Esoteric DV-50 player, Rotel CD as tranport and Wavelenght Cosine DAC, Audible Illusions M3 and Pass Labs X2.5 preamps, VAC Aurice Stereo amp, AQ Dragon speaker cables, Alpha Core TQ2 and Kimber KAGC interconnects. Clearaudio Solution table with two Rega RB-600 arms, Krell KPE phono pre, Re Rose Rosette phono pre, Clearaudio Victory H and Benz L2 cartridges. Audio Physic Virgo III luodspeakers.
The Aleph 3 is from the lower midband to the highs pure music, transparent, very correct in all ways. I few words is a very very good amp, better than I was thinking some time ago. This amp sound as good as the other electronic associated to the system. If you use a low cost or low quality electronic, the amp may be sound terrible. But if you use good electronics the Aleph 3 sound will be only limited for the quality of these electronics. In another system I hear the aleph 3 with a Wadia 861, and custom built loudspeakers (truly amazing this loudspeakers), I heard the same performance that I mentioned above. May be the bass is not deep, but is very controlled and tight. If you want power and deep bass use the PS Audio HCA-2. I own one of this amps for two years now and this is a little amp with thunderous bass and big power.

Purchased At:   na

Submitted by safetyman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
I believe that the Aleph Range of Pass Labs amplifiers will be the stuff talked about over the campfires. :) Legends !!!

I had just taken over an Aleph 3 from a friend and have been smiling from ear to ear eversince.

I gave up a pair of 60watters for one pc of the Aleph 3. Wow !!! But no regrets, in fact all smiles. My former Brystons were not second to the Aleph 3 but there was that magical feel that each instrument floats in it's space in air, is something that I have not heard in any other system that I have come acrossed. And these systems cost many times the Aleph 3. One example is a Gryphon system.

It's a solid state amp that has the warmth of a valve amplifier but the speed and dynamics of a solid state. Produces well controlled bass, sweet highs, a rich midrange, and imaging that's unbelieveable.

I am sure not everyone will agree with me, but I am enjoying my system so much that I had to share this joy here.

You have to listen to a Pass Lab to believe it. Kuddos to Mr. Nelson Pass. :)

Purchased At:   used from a friend

Submitted by Rob P. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
Before I start this review I want to personally thank Nelson Pass and Wayne Coulburn of Pass labs, without these fine people this would have never have happened, also thanks to my father in law Bjarne (Paul) Lysholdt, electrical genious who helped as well.

I was on a quest to have a great amplifier, not just an out of the ordinary one, but one that would be able to put a smile on my face and a tear in my eye at the same time. I wanted a SET, but more power. I researched the internet over and over and it seemed my best choice that it would be an Aleph. I did not have the money to actually buy one, new or used, so I decided to enbark on a journey on building my own, and mind you it was not a short one. I didn't know + and - 25 volts (rails) I thougt it was just 25 volts not 50! Matching mosfets, what is that? But I learned a lot in a short period of time and could have never did it by myself, again thanks to all parties involved. I won't go into specifics of how I did it or what I used, just that I did get it done, the single most gratest achievement in my life.

Performance, well I don't know quite how to explain it, But what I hear really moves me, everything is accurate, beyond anything I could have imagined perhaps. Magic might be a one word description, beyond the fact that it worked from day 1 and never faultered either. Accuracy, 3D sound like I have never hear before, with a lot of life, Bass is very good and acurate, just cannot get enough of it! It has transformed my thinking on audio more than anything has or could ever. It is now a classic and will stay with me as long as I live, will not be for sale now or ever!

To conclude, nothing in my life except for getting married to my lovely wife, can compare to this experience and the willing support of a major player in the audio world, my hat is off to Pass labs for very personal service and advice they provided!

Purchased At:   Digikey, Mouser

Submitted by 89vett a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
I must say I was somewhat skeptical about
selling my Audio Research D52b amplifier
to buy the Pass Labs. I really enjoyed
the sound of my Audio Research and it
was by far the best amp I had ever owned.
But after reading the rave reviews on the
net, I decided to take the plunge! I was
plesantly surprised to find that the Aleph 3 met or exceeded all of my expectations. The detail that this amp
delivers is amazing. I am hearing things
in my CD's I never knew were there, and
the soundstage is incredible. I honestly
noticed the improvement over my Audio
Research amp, and that is saying alot! The
Aleph 3 will make poor recordings sound very poor, because it represents the music
the way it was recorded, good or bad. But
on good recordings the sound is nothing
short of miraculous. And this amp has
very good bass. I really don't see what
all the fuss is about the lack of bass.
Quite simply, this is the finest sounding
amp I have ever heard! I am using the amp
DVD A10 DVD\CD player.Monster speaker wire
and interconnects.

Purchased At:   used

Pass Labs Aleph 3 & hard to drive speakers

I was wondering if anyone had used the Pass Labs Aleph 3 amp from a few years ago with hard to drive speakers. I've seen this amp for sale used for about $800 and it seems like a good value, especially considering the reviews, but I will be using it to drive 87dB 4 ohm speakers and was wondering if ... Read More »

Wood Technology: