Parasound HCA-3500 Amplifiers

4.35/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $2195.00

Power Amplifier - 350W x2 Channels

Submitted by kfr01 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
An honest 350w amplifier by a respectable audio company? Under $1,500 used? First 15 watts pure Class A?

Wow. If you can find these on the used market, go for it. I did and I've been very pleased. This is a very versatile amplifier. It has double binding posts for bi-wiring, XLR and RCA inputs, and is a true dual mono design (each amplifier side has its own power cord).

Enough of the spec, you say, how does it sound?

Well, I run full range towers tuned to 30hz and was in the need of some serious bass grip. The Parasound HCA-3500 delivered in spades and beat out everything else I was considering. Rotel, Arcam, Musical Fidelity, Onkyo Integra, Hypex, you name it... The Stereophile review directed me to this amplifier as the reviewer said this amplifier delivered more bass grip than Rotel's flagship amplifier, the 1090.

Boy were they right. Deep bass, tight bass, controlled bass.

This control extends up to the highest frequencies. In fact, control might be the one word I could use to describe this amplifier. No matter what I've thrown at it, it responds flawlessly and with authority. It adds very little sonic character of its own.

Are there higher-fi offerings out there? Yes. Not at this price range.

I heartily recommend giving this amplifier a listen if you seek class a sound with loads of power to back it up, if necessary.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by Johnsen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
The first amp that managed to drive my superdifficult Infinity Kappa 9.2i without problems. (The speakers are 4ohms but dips to less than 1 ohm at the worst)
Clear super sound after 2-300 hours of break in period. Very very good control of the woofers, tight with great slam !
Never trouble even when pushing hard for many hours.

Purchased At:   hifihuset

Submitted by kenneth a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchase this amplifier more thn two years and it has got incrediable
soudn stage very detailed and open because I have revolution reference
XLR cable from preamp to the amp using lab cables for ac line on both monoblocks
that makes it alive realistic not stale. I listen to jazz,classical hard rock,country,blue
and I can not see why anybody frowns on HCA-3500 amplifier?
I hope they are not using crappy sony audio gear on it then that would explain everything!!!!
Only amp I might replace it with is a Mctinosch model 352 the amp is a little warner in sound but
it is a little better in the bass a fuller and tight bass.

Submitted by todd martin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I originally listened to this amp as part of my campagne to move up the audio food-chain. I thought at the time that at its prospective price, it represented good value based on its size and build quality.Further auditions over the course of one month left me hungry for something better. It is a massive sounding amplifier but one that is harsh and rather dry sounding. The soundstage is as flat as a pancake and most timbres are rendered thin and mechanical. I came away thinking that at best, this amp would be a good subwoofer amp but never a vehicle to transport anyone to sonic nirvana. This amp was not in the same league as the krell or creek for that matter. Even rotel could throw down the sabre and claim victory. Hence, if bass supports your need for wood than save dosh and buy the biggest,baddest subwoofer you can find. You will most likely find a support group of Parasounder's nearby.

Submitted by warnerwh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
Assuming that you are using a quality amp I believed amps had little sound of their own. Now after listening to a Carver, and owning Hafler and this Parasound in my system, my point of view has changed. The Carver was truly awful. The quality of the Parasound is smooth and refined. Bass is tighter and the sound is cleaner. This is really in reference to the Hafler XL600 I used for years. Also the 3500 has a blacker background. The soundstage has gotten bigger. These are things that are noticeable and I wouldn't have believed it someone told me. I listened for days before I'd assess any sound characteristics for sure but they were obvious early on. I am more than pleased as I didn't expect so much improvement. The build quality is excellent too.

Purchased At:   Ebay