Parasound HCA-2200II Amplifiers

4.46/5 (24 Reviews) MSRP : $1795.00

250 watts per channel at 8 Ohm, 400 watts per channel at 4 Ohm, 800 watts bridged into 8 Ohm for monoblock - Performance: 90 amps peak current per channel - Balanced XLR inputs - Less than 0.02% THD

Submitted by HIFIVE a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2017

Bottom Line:
Don't let anyone tell you that HCA 2200 MKII is not a special amp for the pricel, it is! Like the McCormack DNA-1 amp which was described as being an iron fist in a velvet glove could easily be used to describe the Parasound HCA 2200 MKII as well. The stock DNA-1 is on par with the earlier Parasound 2200 but like Steve McCormack with revisions John curl upgraded the earlier 2200 model to the 2200 MK II and the amp become much more refined and now is on par with more expensive amps.

The power supply is massive which would account for it's great depth and its ability to drive speakers to high volumes without losing its composure. Every time I listen to a track on a high quality recording, I feel like standing up and applauding at the end. The real test comes in when I catch myself tapping my foot as the music plays on which is the case here! Did I mention this amp has extraordinary speed. Go get one and don't be afraid to experiment, your patience will have its rewards!

Currently I'm using this amp with a Marsh P2000 dual mono preamp with excellent results but it has been recommended that tube preamps like the Audible Illusions M3 or the Musical design SP-1 tube preamps takes this amp to a whole new world of sound quality, other good preamps should qualify as well. You must experiment with different preamps and interconnects to fully appreciate what this amp is capable of, you will be amazed if you do.

In conclusion I have to say that there are far more expensive amps that can't compete here, but some can. If you find one for sale and buy it, know this, this amp is worth every penny.

Submitted by Panagiotis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2017

Bottom Line:
I love this amp, Recently I made a full restoration / mod, and it sounds as good as my Parasound Halo A21, read more in the link below:

Submitted by nybto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2016

Bottom Line:
These amps are starting to get a bit old now, they need a bit of tlc, but you can easily maintain it, and then it will sound fabulous. Scale, dynamics and beautiful voices are the order of the day. I temporarily had an M6 PRX to compare it with, the weight, richness and quality of voices won out in the end for the parasound even if ultimate treble detail was not quite equal. Mine was buzzing when I got it but the key to that was the earthing, the lead to the chassis had been incorrectly placed (on the base, between the main filter caps) - absolutely silent now. Clean the connectors and the relays at the back, and maybe ensure the switch on the front is okay (it only uses one side of the switch, you can move just two spade connectors and you effectively have a new switch). I am gradually applying the John Curl mods that you might find here and there on DIY audio, its a superb listen, an education and a hobby, I definitely recommend it.

Submitted by Hump a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
This amp. is incredible at any price. Cosidering what I paid for it makes it the most incredible amp. I have ever owned.
Have had no problems with Humm orBuzzing as in other reviews. Makes my Thiel 2.2s "Sing".
If you get a chance buy one, you won't be disappointed !!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by greasemonkey a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
I picked up a HCA-2200 II from ebay a few years ago. I also had the same problem with a 60 cycle hum which came out of one channel only. I decided to explore the problem internally after trying the ungrounded plug adaptor trick which only minimized the hum slightly. What I found was that almost every screw either internally but especially externally in the case was loose. They were loose enough that you could turn them by hand. So, I checked each fastener and tightened down every loose one. That one thing eliminated the hum completely. I could only guess that the problem was from a floating ground condition. I can only surmise that the fasteners were not torqued down to a reasonable amount during assembly at the factory and over the years they continued to back out by themselves due to vibration.

Purchased At:   Ebay