Parasound HCA-1000 THX Amplifiers

4.5/5 (40 Reviews) MSRP : $575.00

100 Watt Power Amplifier - THX Certified

Submitted by chemchef a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have 3 of these amps in my system. They are very good performers. I use them to power M&K750's in my Home Theater setup. I have owned many power amps of different price ranges & these units perform as good as 90% of them. Including, Bryston, Cinepro, Hafler,.
Great midrange & high end. I can Not comment on bass because my monitors are crossed over @ 100HZ, but I sometime listen at BLISTERING levels and the amps WILL NOT CLIP. I have Tried.
The soundstage and imaging are very imperssive, to say the least. Paired with the right equipment. These amps can not be beat at this price range

Submitted by HenryH a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
Having owned and enjoyed a Parasound HCA-1500A for several years (I gave it to my youngest nephew for his HT system), I was happy to find its little brother on eBay at a very reasonable price. Using basically the same setup otherwise, I can compare the two amplifiers. Since both use basically the same design (by John Curl) they should sound identical when used within their limits. However they do not, to my ears at least. The 1500 is slightly sweeter and warmer in the upper mids and lower treble when copmpared to the 1000. A closer examionation of the specs for both amplifiers reveals a possible reason. Both use matched JFETs in the input stage and beta matched Bipolars in the output stages. However the 1500 uses a MOSFET driver stage while the 1000 does not.
It's not that the 1000 is overly bright or shrill. It isn't. It's just that the 1500 is a bit more lush sounding.
This shows particularly in female vocals. On Amanda McBroom's "Dreaming" CD, her lower registers are more "burnished" sounding via the 1500.
Both amps have outstanding bass performance and control, clear, clean mids and highs and excellent soundstaging and dynamics.
Associated equipment includes:
Music Hall MMF5 turntable with Goldring 1012GX cartridge.
Pioneer DV-563A SACD/CD/DVD-A player
Creek OBH8 phono stage.
Creek OBH12 passive preamp
Magnepan MMG speakers
Interconnects are StyraightWire Chorus and Rhapsody and speaker cables are Audioquest Type 4.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by HyTekCat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is overall a decent amp, especially on the used market. At low to moderate listening levels, the sound is relatively clean and dynamic. When approaching rated power levels, the sound is compressed, and very shrill sounding. Bass resolution and existance disappear! While auditioning on my KEF Model 4s, (4 ohm speakers) exhausting this amp was not very difficult. The musicallity of this amp at low to moderate listening levels is right on par or better for its retail pricepoint. Fairly even tonal balance and good soundstaging. Currently used to bi-amp my KEF 4 ohm center channel and doing well at that. I'm adding an extra star for this amp's clarity and forward projection of content on my center channel.

Purchased At:   from friend

Submitted by shrink a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
Absolutely fantastic. Picked up my B&W p5's and gave them a good shake. very powerfull and controlled. Also has a good smooth midband and sweet treble. On the whole a perfect cinema/music amp

Purchased At:   audio t (UK)

Submitted by Yves Simon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
Out of the box, it sounded harsh. I discovered that there was an annoying, constant noise produced. Get this : it is not the amp by itself, but its toroidal transformer which was inducing that noise in my active crossover (placed on top of the Parasound). The crossover must be at a distance of 6" minimum to attenuate this enerving noise !
Now, my Parasound HCA-1000A sounds good.

Purchased At:   Used