Parasound Halo A 23 Amplifiers

4.29/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $850.00

125W x 2 into 8 ohms, 200W x 2 into 4 ohms, 400W x 1 into 8 ohms, high bias Class A/AB amplification, MOSFET driver stage, JFET input stage, balanced XLR inputs, no capacitors or inductors in signal path, rear mounted gain controls, ground lift switch.

Submitted by leon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2014

Bottom Line:
Actually a NEW 2014 amp.
Running a PAIR of the A-23 as biamp to my panels. Bought them with the new P5 preamp and it is QUITE the match.
Plenty of 'slam', extended highs and superior imaging. As good with the audio portion of some of those 'reality / singing' shows as it is with full quality CDs or hi-rez downloads.

And YES, they DO run a little warm but the heatsinking is INTERNAL, not as some other poster indicated. Amp is high bias A-A/B so it SHOULD run a little warm. But not wacky.

Once it's on for 30 minutes, you've got a real treat.

Submitted by electronicsprof2 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
GOT THIS FROM AUDIO ADVISOR AS AN "OPEN BOX' SPECIAL FOR $760 (REG $950), AND COULD NOT SEE ANYTHING THAT WOULD WOULD INDICATE ANY USE AT ALL; SEEMS PERFECTLY NEW.

THIS AMPLIFIER SOUNDS AS GOOD, WITH BALANCED CONNECTIONS, AS ANY AMPLIFIER I HAVE HEARD AT $3000-$8000 SO FAR!

THIS THING IS SIMPLY UNBELIEVABLE AT THIS PRICE. IT IS ACCURATE, DYNAMIC, HAS HUGE BASS AND HAS TRANSFORMED MY SYSTEM; I CAN HARDLY IMAGINE BETTER SOUND AT ANY PRICE. MY OLD AMPLIFIER WAS VERY GOOD, BUT THIS IS MOST DEFINITELY BETTER.

THIS IS ESPECIALLY REMARKABLE WHEN YOU CONSIDER THAT I AM FEEDING IT WITH STATE-OF-THE-ART ELECTRONICS UP FRONT. I ALMOST FEEL EMBARRASSED TO BE USING THIS AMP WITH $12,000 WORTH OF STUFF FEEDING IT...LOL.

MY AUDIO RESEARCH LS-26 PREAMP COST $6000, AND SO DID MY AYRE C5-XE SACD PLAYER; I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY THIS PUPPY JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT, BUT NEVER THOUGHT IT WOULD SOUND THIS GOOD. I WAS REALLY THINKING I WOULD NEED TO BUY AN AUDIO RESEARCH OR AYRE OR BRYSTON AMP TO GET THE PERFECT SOUND I AM AFTER, BUT NOW I SERIOUSLY WONDER IF ANY AMPLIFIER CAN SOUND SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER THAN THIS ONE.

i HAVE A BRYSTON 3B-SST COMING IN NEXT WEEK, SO WE WILL SEE IF THAT IS BETTER...LOL. IT'S GOING TO HAVE TO REALLY BE SOMETHING TO BEAT THIS LITTLE GEM. IF THE BRYSTON IS BETTER, I GUESS THIS ONE GOES IN MY FAMILY ROOM WITH THE 60" SONY TV; I'M NOT LETTING IT GO.

THERE IS ONE THING...THIS GUY HAS NO EXTERNAL HEATSINKS, AND IT RUNS HOT ENOUGH THAT THE LEFT REAR TOP OF THE AMP GETS HOT ENOUGH THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO LEAVE YOUR HAND THERE MORE THAN A COUPLE OF SECONDS...THE OTHER AREAS STAY A BIT COOLER. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT, AND THE WARRANTY IS GOOD, SO....

IF YOU BUY ONE OF THESE AND DON'T THINK IT SOUNDS ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS, I SUGGEST THAT YOU NEED TO LOOK TO THE EQUIPMENT YOU ARE USING WITH IT; THE FAULT IS NOT WITH THIS AMP.

ONE THING THAT I THINK IS FUNNY; JOHN CURL, THE DESGNER AT PARASOUND, WAS POOR-MOUTHING THIS AMP IN A FORUM A WHILE BACK, AND SUGGESTING THAT THE A21 IS MUCH BETTER. ONE MIGHT NEED THE ADDED POWER OF THE A21 FOR CERTAIN SPEAKERS THAT ARE DIFFICULT ELECTRICALLY, BUT FOR MY BIG VANDERSTEENS, THIS A23 IS A WINNER.

(P.S.-SPEAKERS ARE VANDERSTEEN 3As...FYI)

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Rick Lee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
Voiced on the clean clear dynamic side rather than big sounding. Sort of "Krell Lite?" I used to be a Krell salesman---the amp is that clear if not as powerful in the bass as a Krell. It does sound like a healthy mid sized 125 watt amp should if that is important. Have yet to hear it compress or distort one bit. For other problems read on.

Slight hardness in upper mids vanished when I tried running the amp's volume controls 10% lower and turned up my preamp volume a bit more instead. Maybe an impedance or capacitance issue? Cable swapping might also be useful as some cables are pretty "leaky" capicitance wise and will tame a brash midrange same as a tone control Personally I don't like weak cables of any sort but as a last resort... Anyway my fix worked and as a benefit I seemed to have increased the harmonic richness of the timbre while I was at it. Good enough!!!

Amp also did not like being used as a mono block (got very dull-but louder!). I use a pair of these amps bi amping Harbeth 30s and use the rca pass throughs to feed a powered sub on each side.

My conclusion is this is one very nicely designed amp which is a fair tast of high end sonic virtues for not very much dough. Plus it has great hook up options. Sort of like a better grade midpriced NAD if not Bryston solid.

I only wish the ones I bought were built better. I seem to have had a streak of bad luck with mine as one quit within a day or two. It got immediately replaced by Audio Advisor and then a couple months later another one started dying the same way.

Now I get to find out if Parasound is as good at fixing their stuff as John Curl is at designing it. Doesn't appear everybody else is having problems. I can't say I ran the first bad one very long or very hard---it died before I even knew what it should be doing... Hmmmm.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Nathan Goss a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
For the longest time I used my receiver to handle all of my A/V needs for Home Theater. I always wondered what potential there could be by using the pre-outs and adding additional amplifers to increase performance. My world has never been the same after doing so. I added the Parasound Halo A23 to boost the potential of my PSB Image towers and I am in love all over again. First, the Parasound enables the full potential of these speakers to be reached. The detail and warmth is impressive and rich. The PSB towers are known for incredibly refined bass management and the Halo 23 takes it even further. Great Amp and the price is a steal!!!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Belgarchi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
This moderately-priced power amp has all the features I always dreamed of.
Hence the high expectations, and the disappointment: it has a good sound for its price, but is no match for more expensive power amps.
It is powerful, but the upper bass are ill-defined, the soundstage lack precision, the high are slightly harsh.
Better than Rotel RB-1070, but inferior to Bryston 2B-LP or SonoGraphe SA250.
More or less equivalent to Adcom GFA-545-II and Parasound HCA-1000A.

Purchased At:   Audiogon