Outlaw Audio Model 770 Amplifiers

Power output: 200 watts RMS x 7 (all channels driven simultaneously into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 0.05% total harmonic distortion). 300 watts RMS x 7 @ 4 ohms

Submitted by surveyor55 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
The Outlaw Audio Model 770 Amp has excellent detailed sound at low or high volume levels!
Excellent wide open soundstage
Very low noise floor see the specifications!
Very solid build quality, it weighs in at over 90 lbs.
It employs quality parts throughout:
Two huge Toroidal Transformers
22,600 uF of capacitance per channel (158,200 uF total)
10 output transistors per channel (70 total)
Individual winding from transformers for each channel
Very high damping factor
Power to spare
five year warranty
excellent customer service from Outlaw Audio

Purchased At:   OutlawAudio.com

Submitted by markNelson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased this amp after reading many reviews about how great it is for the price. I was nervous about buying this without being able to listen too it, but was I ever surprised. I ordered it before the christmas holiday and they has it to my house in 3 days in time for the holidays. This thing is a brute and you will need two people to move it. Once I hooked it up everything Much to my surprise, the amp started smoking. I was thinking what am I going to do now. I contacted outlaw (this was on a sunday night) via email, and by tuesday lunch I had a new amp. Way to go Outlaws. That is some of the great customer service I have heard about. I proceeded to hook up the new amp and it wokrs wonderfully. The sound is much cleaner then I could have dreamed. After one month of playing the amp is getting much smoother in its sounds and continues to sound better and better. I would highly recommend this to any one.

Purchased At:   Outlaw.com

Submitted by RKlapp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
For those of you who might be wary of buying this unit over the internet, don't hesitate. I've run Pioneer and Pioneer Elite stereo and A/V receivers exclusively for 30 years (I like the sound of MOSFETS), but the last two burned out at 35 months of service each, and I was advised to move on to separates. After reading the reviews and recommendations in The Perfect Vision magazine, I ordered the Outlaw Model 950 Preamplifier/Processor and the Model 770 200-watt-times-seven channel amp. All I can say is Why Did I Wait So Long? After so many years with the same brand, I wondered if an entirely different collection of electronics (Motorola DSP vs. Cirrus Logic) would sound good to me. They don't sound good. They sound great. They sound fabulous. When listening to CDs, my Outlaws provide a very precise soundstage, wider than before and surprisingly deep, allowing my Infinity Interlude IL60s, just the two of them, to almost surround me with sound. The Interludes have built-in 500 watt amplifiers for the side-firing 10" subwoofers, and with the Pioneers I had to keep the Infinity's separate volume controls turned low. But the Outlaw 770 provides such clean sound, so much added clarity in the mid-bass, mid-treble and treble frequencies that I've turned them up. Read Wayne Garcia's review from Perfect Vision at the Outlaw Website (www.outlawaudio.com), he says it so much better than I can, but I've never heard a more satisfying sound. I find myself grinning constantly while listening to music I've heard hundreds of times before.
And how do my Outlaws deliver when used as a Home Theater System? I run a seven-channel setup (all Interludes) and select DTS-ES or Dolby-EX whenever possible. The Model 950 Pre Amp Processor has a comprehensive feature set of digital surround processing capabilities, and a generous panel of inputs/outputs which include two HD-ready (40+ MHz) component inputs and six assignable digital sound inputs. The Model 950 instruction manual is as good as any I've ever seen and can be viewed at their website, but Home Theater newbies may want to invite a more knowledgable friend over for an installation party. The steering logic in the 950 is exceptional, better than anything I ever heard from the Pioneers, but that may be because of the capabilities of the Model 770 amplifier.
In a word, awesome. Just listen to the THX opening on the Abyss DVD. You hear EVERY note--without a fade-in--which was apparently the result of my receivers' back channels scavenging power from the front channels of an overtaxed amplifier section. The Outlaw has two giant toroidal power amps to supply it's seven channels, and the difference has to be heard to be believed. Presence, separation, definition. With a musicality that will handle every score from Amadeus to the Matrix. Thrills and chills.
This is my first experience with separates, so maybe they all sound like this. But not at this price. I paid $2398 for my Outlaw combo, plus $185 for two-day shipment from Massachusetts to Arizona, or $2583 to my door. More than I payed for my last Pioneer Elite, but less than they want for the current model. And they don't give you a 30-day money back guarantee.
In my opinion, they also don't give you this kind of performance

Purchased At:   866-OUTLAWS

Submitted by Spobs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had this amp for 6 months now. So far not one problem with it. It is a powerhouse! It drives a seven B&W speaker system, the not too efficient CDM NT series. It has never gotten hot no matter how hard I drive it with all channels. It is a very quiet amp. It tames my speakers well, (they are a kind of crisp speaker). Just wish it had a pretty blue pilot light instead of an ugly glowing green button that never goes off unless you turn the main power button off.

Purchased At:   Outlaw

Submitted by DArbignal a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've only had this amplifier for a few hours and I'm already madly in love with this thing. Moving from my B&K amplifier to this one, I immediately noticed that the dialog cleared up. Other aspects of the sound also seemed to have cleared up too, but it's too early for me to be sure. (It could also be me being biased to expect to hear an improvement.)

This thing is *heavy*. Make sure your rack/shelf can sustain 100 pounds. When I first picked it up, I thought somebody had replaced the interior with lead ingots as a joke or something. The weight astonishes me every time I move the amp.

The amp design is wonderful. I like how clearly and simply the back panel is laid out. The trigger solution is simple and effective; I got it working within minutes.

There was some confusion about whether this amp requires a 20 amp circuit. Apparently, it's a *recommendation* that you put it on a 20 amp circuit, but not a requirement. It has a standard three-prong plug, and not one of those funky 20 amp jobbies.

Purchased At:   Outlaw web site