Outlaw Audio Model 750 Amplifiers

4.86/5 (56 Reviews) MSRP : $1099.00

165W x 5 Channel Amplifier

Submitted by rsmcphee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
First of all, let me discuss my set up. Here are the components I am using
to listen to these fine speakers. I have:

A/V Receiver: Onkyo TXDS797 THX certified 135 watts per channel for 6
channels at 6 ohm
CD/SACD Player: Sony NC650V 5 CD/DVD Changer
DVD Player: Pioneer Elite DVC-36 5 CD/DVD Player (used this in this review)
5.1 Setup: Center: Wharfedale Pacific Series, Surround Rear: Wharfedale
Pacific PI 10 and Main: Wharfedale Pacific PI-40
Cables and interconnects: Monster cables Reference all the way (using digital coax cable)
Subwoofer: Infinity HPs-1000 (1000 watts RMS)

I have the outlaw bi-amping my Wharfedale Pacific speakers. It is currently handling the mids and I have the onkyo handling the lows. The sound stage produced with the outlaw is very realistic. The voice comes out with excellent details. Instruments with this amp are well spaced. I was listening to SADE Live with this amp and played Jezebel (my reference DVD) and the results were spectacular. SADE’s voice came out with every ounce of her emotion attached. This amp is clean and quite neutral. Play bad CD and you know it is bad. Play good CD/DVD and you know you are in for a sonic treat. I was going to buy the Rotel RMB 1095 but I saw this on Ebay and decided to get it. I am glad I did. What a great value for the money!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Dimick1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been using multiple NAD 2200 stereo amps to drive my home theater and decided to get one multichannel amp for reasons of conveinence(NAD's have no DC trigger and three of them take up alot of rack space). I am now using an Outlaw 1050 receiver to drive the rear center channel and the Outlaw 750 to handle the other five channels. My Swan Diva's never sounded better and I set the crossover from 80 to 60 to my SVS 16-46 PCI sub. Bass is better defined now that the Diva's are handling the 60< range and it eliminated a dip in frequency response I noticed on my decibel meter in that range also. This is a dedicated home theater room so I can not comment on the musical aspects of the Outlaw 750(although I have read that it excels in this area also)but for home theater, it gives you incredible bang for your buck. Simple operation, great sound and seriously heavy duty build quality as evedeinced by the weight. I looked and listened to ATI 1505,Parasound 1205, NAD 925THX, Rotel 985MKII and Sherwood 9080. All had their strengths and weakness's(sound,looks,price,build quality) and to me the Outlaw 750 came out on top. I looked and listened to only used equipment so all of the amps had been well broken in. Prices for the used equipment ranged from $400-500(rotel and Sherwood)$700(NAD,Outlaw)$900(ATI,Parasound).

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by williamsd2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got my used Outlaw 750 yesterday. I replayed my favorite songs and my favorite scenes from movies. The battle scenes from Pearl Harbor made me feel like I did when saw it in the theater. I actually listened to the songs instead of my equipment. John Mayer's guitar and voice were so sweet. It was a great experience, and I'm looking forward to much more serious listening.

I had been using my B&K ref 30, matched with an old Denon reciever in by-pass mode as my amp. Obviously, the Outlaw was a huge step up. Here are just a few simple, but wonderful, things I noticed immediately:

First, the Outlaw had much better control of my woofers than the Denon. Again, not much of a fair comparison. I think my Martin Logan SL3's were delighted to have such a pure, strong signal feeding them, finally. The sound never got distorted, and I like my music and movies LOUD!

Something else I noticed - the soundtrack to movies, that I feel is sometimes lost behind the dialogue and sound-effects, was actually there. I love movie soundtracks, the element responsible for the emotional foundation. And they were very much present - I hadn't noticed that with any equipment before.

Finally, my roommate and I are enjoying our Hitachi HDTV projector, and we sit about 13 feet away from the screen and speakers. The Denon provided sound enough for our apartment. But he even noticed that the Outlaw filled the entire space between us and the screen with sound. It just pulled us in to the action! That's what I've been looking for.

Yes, the 750 is retired, but you should be able to find a pretty good deal on Audiogon or Ebay from time to time. The new 755 is $1299. I plan to bi-amp my SL3's with the 750, and I called Scott from Outlaw and he said the 755 wouldn't make a difference. If you can find a deal on a 750, go for it. You'll love it, and you'll save some money.

Purchased At:   audiogon (used)

Submitted by MH a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
Other than a short-lived experience with an Adcom 5 channel amp, this is my first real experience with a separate amplifier. I lived with the Adcom for about a week and then returned it due to excessive noise and hiss.

Six months ago, I upgraded my receiver from a Yamaha RX-V890 to a Marantz SR-7000. I didn't really consider purchasing separates at the time, but in hindsight I wish I had. I had been relatively happy with my Yamaha from a power perspective, but needed to upgrade to Dolby Digital. I chose the Marantz for its sound quality, features and build quality, but I have been disappointed in its power output. I'm using Paradigm Studio 60's for my front mains and my system is located in a medium-sized room with high ceilings. The Marantz tends to sound thin and strained when I try to listen at higher than normal volumes and sometimes distorts during loud passages on movie soundtracks. I began researching high-power, 5 channel amps in the sub $2000 range a few months ago and decided on the ATI 1505. While reading reviews of the 1505, I came across the Outlaw 750. In the end, the positive reviews of the 750, the savings over the ATI and Outlaw's return policy gave me the confidence to try the 750.

I ordered the 750 and 3 pairs of Outlaw's new interconnects on a Monday night. I had a question about shipping the next day, left a message at Outlaw, but never received a call back... Not a great introduction to Outlaw customer service (I ended up contacting the shipper directly and got my question answered). Both packages arrived on Wednesday of the same week. After unpacking, I was immediately impressed with the build quality of the unit. Heavy gauge steel, quality connectors and a clean, simple design go a long way to instill confidence. The Outlaw interconnects are also nicely built and a bargain at about $16 a piece (with shipping) for the .5 meter lengths. The only hook-up hitch resulted from the size of the barrel connectors on the Outlaw interconnects. They are large barrel, locking type connectors and the tight spacing of the pre-out outputs on My Marantz made for difficult connection. In fact, all 5 connectors ended up in direct contact with one another. I e-mailed Outlaw tech support and was assured that this does not present a problem (quick response this time). I used the Marantz DC out trigger and a .99 cent cable from Radio Shack to power-on the 750 and everything works flawlessly. I checked for any noise or hum problems and detected none.

Finally, the moment of truth... I fired everything up and put on a couple of CD's. Wow, the first thing I noticed was an incredible soundstage that I had never quite heard from my speakers before. Midrange that had hardly been present suddenly came to life. I began noticing little nuances in the music, i.e., the sound of the foot pedals on a piano, the breath of a vocalist, etc. that had just not been as apparent with the Marantz (of course this also applies to limitations in the source recording like tape hiss, etc - a small price to pay). Everything sounds more lifelike. Next, I put in a couple of demanding DVD's to check out the home theater side. Battle scenes from Gladiator and U-571, the incredible surround effects on the Phantom Menace and others all sounded fantastic - and had clarity and punch that my 7000 could just not muster. Of course, now I'm dreaming of an upgrade to my center channel and rear surrounds.....

In all, an excellent product and a good value. Outlaw proves that a great sounding, high-quality amplifier can be produced at a reasonable price (comparatively speaking). $1099 is still a lot of cash, but I know that I'll get many years of use out of this product. Best of all, I know that I've purchased my last receiver. I'm sure I'll upgrade to a better pre/pro as the technology changes, but I feel like I'm well taken care of in the amplifier department for years to come. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Outlaw Audio

Submitted by Stanly a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well, I would just like to say that I am impresed with the Outlaw's customer service. I am stunned by the amp itself!
Build quality is on par with the best stuff out there. Sound is very natural with no signs of brightness (I can't say the same thing for the Adcom I was using to do blind tests!). Actualy I feel it does only one thing: amplifies the sound without adding anything to it. My understanding is that's what an amp is expected to do and the 750 lives up to it. I am using it to drive Maggies 1.6 and there hasn't been anything to dissturb me in the sound so far. Midds are smooth, hights are clean, detailed but not bright...Bass is tight and clean. Tons of power, doesn't seem to be bothered by the low impendance of the planars. Vocals and acoustic instruments are almost alive in my living room!
I used to work with rock groups for about 3 years on the road and I have designed and built lots of amps in my life.
I can honestly say that for the money this is the best I have seen...Actualy it is fair to say that one can pay at least twice as much for an amp and end up with worst sound compared to the outlaw(stay away from the Adcoms with FETs).

Purchased At:   Outlaw Audio (B-stock)

Award-Winning Axiom: