Onkyo M-504 Amplifiers

4.38/5 (78 Reviews) MSRP : $870.00

Integra Serier Power Amplifier - 165 Watts - Dual Mono

Submitted by BryanB a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2014

Bottom Line:
Well, a lot has been said about these amps over the years, and rightfully so. Here is an opinion from someone who has(and in some cases still does :)) own(ed) virtually every high powered amp made. Onkyo's Integra, and Grand Integra Metered amps(M504, 506, 508, 510, 588, 5090, 5099, etc.) are, and always have been top notch. Build quality, appearance, and musicality all in. I get tremendous laughs from all of the ridiculous posts from confused audiophile wannabees, and the endless pontificating from self described aficionados on what equipment to buy, and how to match and utilize it. Folks, here is the bottom line. First, figure out your budget. Second, buy the best equipment you can afford. Third, do the best acoustic engineering you can within the space you have available, and remember that speaker positioning is critical. Fourth, ENJOY THE MUSIC!. As for the Onkyo's being discussed, consider this. A new M-5000 retails for $15,000 !. An old, well preserved M will run you between $300, and $2000 depending on model. Compare that to an Accuphase, Hi end Mac, Threshold, Krell, etc. (You cant buy one of those for $300) Does the new M out perform the old ones? Probably not. Will it outlast them? Probably not. So, what do you think. For me, its a no brainer. I could afford a new M, but would I buy one over an older one at 5-10% the price. Not a chance. If you have never owned one of these amps, jump aboard and enjoy what you have been missing. If you already have one, then Im preaching to the choir. ENJOY!

Submitted by Breeze a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
Well here we go. The years are around 1987 to 1989 (need to find the receipt) and I was doing a DJ gig part time when the amp I was using said see ya and died on me. I don't remember exactly how I came to Onkyo but I found in Japanese it means "High sound" Thus the truth is in the listening. I am still to this day using my M 504 which is being pre-amped through a Pioneer SX850 from 1977. These two pieces are for me a perfect match in that I have the versatility of the 850 with the jaw dropping power of the 504 and I do mean power. I have sometimes while playing some classic rock albums intentionally tried to get the 504 to shut down and although I do not abuse my system I sure as heck am not afraid to "crank it up" They don't build products for consumer of this status now days. The richness of music can only be achieved when you're plugged in and can enjoy the analog/digital experience through clean uncluttered power that the 504 delivers year after year. My overall description for the 504 "BULLETPROOF"

Submitted by mike mccauley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
i have the onkyo m-504 and the m-506rs and ive owned a ton of amps before but i have to say,i use a dynaco pas 3 preamp,i totally rebuilt,new boards,tubes ,power supply,uses 4 12ax7 tubes,2 in the phono board,2 in the other board.this set up with 4 cerwin vega re-30 that i changed the tweeters out with aluminum horns,it gives me goose bumps.im running the m-504 in this set up.it has very low bass if needed,the highs are so clean and crisp,if ya take the time to rebuild a pas 2 or 3,you can use a solid state onkyo m504 and get the warm,crisp tube sound you want with out breaking the bank for a high end tube amp.ive seen ads (reveiws) on the m-504 sounding muddy,im telling ya,its not the amp,its your cheesy preamp or your amp is faulty.these amplifiers if taken care of will last for yrs.i bought these 2 amps used,350 bucks for the 504 and 250 for the 506rs.i gave my son the 506rs and he loves it.theres so much head room on these amps,half throttle and the shingles on the roof are flapping,joking you get the pic.if you can get one of these amps at or below 4 bills,get it,you will love it and they are nice to look at.165 rms wpc with 0.003 thd 120db s/n ratio.its 49.5 lbs but nice built amps are heavy.people complain of a amp being heavy,well i dont carry mine every time i use it so i dont care about the stupid details of weight.i had to put this review in because of a few bad ones i read and theres must be a bad one ,im betting its their preamp.put poop in,you get poop out.amps do that.

Submitted by deputy173 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Onkyo M504 approximately 20 years ago at a store called CRAZY EDDIE'S. I paid full retail $840.oo , which was a small fortune at the time for a college student.. I also got the preamp p-304 and the quartz tuner t-9090..total cost approximately $2000.00. I saved for this set up and i am proud to say i never looked back. I complimented my system with KLIPSCH bookshelf speakers and today i still own the set which is in "Mint", condition. I love my amp and the power it cranks out. The amp has never given me a problem and the sound it produces when i'm cranking the volume does not sound distorted or muzzled like other amps. I will cherish this amp forever. Its a classic

Submitted by schmitzdonald68 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
I can not say enough good things about this amp. Only thing that I wish is that it was an M-508....wihich is on its way....WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Before I get started though, let me say that these amps are designed for musical performance. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a power source for their vinyl or cd's in the $1500-$2000 range. If you are looking for a home theater system, I would recommend looking for an amp that is bridgable (these are not).
I have dreampt of owning this amp (either one) since I was in highschool. Without giving away my age, lets just say that was decades ago.
These monster amps are absolutely BEUTIFUL!!! The clean lines and lack of flashy lights and over bearing lettering schemes combined with the flat black textured case, brushed aluminum front panel and wood side panels, make these amps a piece of art.
The meters are very large. However, I find that this does not take away from the prescense of these amps but actually ads to it!! They are analog instead of lighted bars or LED's. There sensitivity is right on the money.
The power of the 504 is rated at 165/channel into 8 ohms. I have mine being controlled by a P-304 and at half throttle, Diana Krall's angelic voice and dancing fingers on the ebony and ivory barely breaks the half way mark of 5 watts, but boy does it fill the room with sound. To those of you that are not knowledgable and think that you need 500 watts to hear everything, I will tell you that you are wrong. This amp is among the most efficient I have heard at low levels and every little detail comes out as if you were right there and she was singing in your living room.
I paid just over $400 USD for my M-504 off of eBay and just recently won the M-508 for just over $500 USD. Both a steal!!! If you have the opportunity to find either of these fabulous units, BUY IT!!!

Other components in this dedicated audio system:
Monster HTS 3600 MK II Power Conditioner
Onkyo Integra M-504 (soon to be the FABULOUS Grand Integra M-508) power amp
Onkyo Integra P-304 control amp
Onkyo CS5VL SACD/CD player
Onkyo T4500 tuner
Music Hall MMF 7.1 (INCREDIBLE) turntable
Bose 901 Series VI (with active equalizer)

MS 1400W: