Onkyo M-501 Amplifiers

4.21/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

150 Watt Power Amplifier

Submitted by Sergio Nascimento a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have used the Onkyo set (amp M501 + Preamp. P301) since 1997 with excellent results. My front speakers are the fabulous Yamaha NS-1000 (22 years old and still working fine with their Berillium dome tweeter and midrange speakers). On 2,002 I tried to replace the Onkyo set (M501/P301) for the Yamaha A/V Receiver RXV-1000 (just to build a home theater ). The RXV-1000 is great for videos. But it doesn´t has the punch and the overall sound quality of my (old) Onkyo M501/P301. As I listen lots of CDs and MDs I decided to sell the Yamaha receiver and reinstall the Onkyo set again. I lost my home theater when I sold my Yamaha RXV-1000, but with the Onkyo set (amp/preamp.)I´m now enjoying my CDs/MDs/DVDs(shows)with a better audio quality.

Purchased At:   Hi Fi Center, São Pa

Submitted by megarios1 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
Bought this amp and the Onkyo P-301 pre amp to match. Overall, I am quite pleased with the results. For the audiophile on a budget this is definetly a very good bang for your buck. My only complaint is that I cant get satisfying sound at low volume, but this could be the speakers I´m running Mission 773e. I also have a pair of Niles outdoor speakers and the amp has plenty of clean power to run both A+B speakers at the same time. Even if I run for a couple of hours at half volume the amp will not get hot, compared to previous amps. Overall a very good value!

Submitted by victor palma a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
spanish?. bueno el ampli me funciona bien pero al subirle mas de la mitad del volumen distorsiona o en algunos casos se apaga, quisiera saber si se puede operar a menos de 8 ohms y como, aunque me gusta su sonido, espero cambiar despues al M-504 o M-508, a proposito se puede operar el M-504 o M-508 con el Preamplificador P-301?, espero alguna ayuda.

Submitted by Chris Behrens a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
First of all, let me explain my perspective. I am not an "audiophile." I will not spend $100 on interconnects. I am, like most enthusiasts, an audio lover ON A BUDGET! Unlike other reviewers, I will not rate this amplifier in comparison to amplifiers 10 to 15 times in price. I will review this amplifier like someone who want to upgrade their current system, but needs to stay within a budget.

For the money, this is a great amplifier. I recently bought a pair of Acoustat Spectra 1100's (electrostatic loudspeakers), and I needed a powerful amplifier to drive them. Despite what some people have mentioned about this amplifier's inability to handle complex/low impedance loads, this amplifier drives my ESLs wonderfully. Changing from my Sony intregrate reciever/amplifier to this amplifier created an amazing difference in sound. The soundstage widened incredibly. It was like I was listening to my music in a can before this amplifier. The dynamic range is so much more broad with this amplifier. It sounded as if I had added a powered subwoofer. The details in the treble and midrange really come alive in the music. Voices sound powerful, but not strained. To anyone who is interested in owning electrostatic loudspeakers, or who have a pair now, you must buy a dedicated power amplifier to really hear what all the hype is about.

As far as power, this amplifier is ideal for a small to medium room. Remember that ESLs are quite ineffecient, so if you use traditional cone speakers, this might work for a larger room. In my medium sized apartment living room, I can't even turn my pre-amp past it's 10 o'clock volume position without my ears starting to hurt, though the sound does not sound strained or clipped.

Physically, I have a problem with the width. It would not fit in my entertainment center, though my cd player, vcr, and preamp fit fine. The binding posts do not allow a pin speaker connector to go through the post. As far as looks, I think it looks wonderful with it's shiny black metallic paint with rack handles.

In summary, if you have unlimited budget, DO NOT buy this amplifier, because it will never be a Dynaco or a Mcintosh. This does not have a 50 pound power supply and it's capacitors are not "as big as a beer can" (but hey, most people aren't intimidated by the size of their capacitors.) If you refuse to buy anything ever sold at Circuit City (can you say Velodyne?), don't buy this. If you have less than $200 to spend, and you want a quality improvement over an integrated reciever/amplifier, I certainly recommend it.

Purchased At:   Out of Newspaper

Submitted by Robert A a

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
These amps are the best power amplifiers for the price. I have four of them and I use them to run all sorts of speakers. I use three of them for my full range 6 channel surround speakers. I use the other to power 4 - 15" subwoofers at 2 ohms per channel (400 watts at 2 ohms) and it handles it fine. To say it won't handle a low impedence is a lie. I've been pushing these 15's for three years now without any problem. These amps are really well built and offer very clean power( less than .07% THD from 20Hz to 20KHz). They work best with a lower impedence as they put out more power.

Premier Mounts: