Odyssey Audio Stratos Amplifiers

• CURRENT DELIVERY: 45 Amps

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Audiofanj a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2016

Bottom Line:
    This is a review of the Odyssey Khartago Extreme SE++ power amplifier. Essentially, this is the Khartago amp with all the top of the line parts upgrades of the transformer, caps, main circuit board, wire and binding posts. My version actually built in 2016.

AlI can say is, combined with my Rogue Audio RP-1 tube preamplifier, this is by far, the most enjoyable amplification combo I have yet heard in my listening room to date.

I purchased this combo to solve one problem that my full tube integrated amp couldn't quite do for me, namely, reproduce cymbals with the relaxed, detailed, pristine, airy presentation without sounding too recessed or worse, like white noise. Listening to Steely Dan's Gaucho lush recording is just incredible now. Very real equally balanced sound across the frequency range is the holy grail of sound reproduction that I have been searching the past 4o+ years. Yes, the Odyssey Khartago was the missing piece to my system. I have all my electronics wired with silver interconnects and speakers are single wired with heavy gauge copper wire with copper jumper cables. All wire by Signal cable.

Needless to say, this version of the Khartago sounds like an $8,000+ piece of gear. Coming from one who has owned McIntosh, Hafler, Threshold, Aragon, Primare and Plinius, that's saying a lot. Kudos to Klaus Bunge for bringing this product to market for such a reasonable price!

Submitted by david brow a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2012

Bottom Line:
    odyssey audio stratos mono extremeswith dual torodial transformers .

The monoblocs work very well with magnepan 3.7 speakers. Plenty of current to play at loud levles without getting hot.They do not shut down when driven hard all day. (most other amps do) Very reliable and very musical on maggie.

Submitted by August West a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
    I owned these amps in the past and was thoroughly disappointed in them. They suffer from poor construction and ac hum, and just don't sound that good. They may be decent for the money but certainly no better than that, and paired with the Odyssey solid state preamp they were lean and fatiguing to my ear.

I decided to give them another listen in the Manufacturer's room at the 2011 Rocky Mountain Audio Festival, where I found Klaus giving court to a small group of young audio buffs. I listened carefully and did not hear the ac hum, but I did hear the same sound signature that irritated my ear in my living room and made me feel relieved to be rid of them when I sold them on AudiogoN where they are readily available on the used market every time I have checked. I just don't see that level of turnover in truly well made, good sounding amps. I give two stars because I didn't experience catastrophic failure of the amps, nor did they seem to have any permanent negative effect on my speakers or any of my other equipment. Unfortunately that's the most favorable thing I have to say about them after my experiences with them.

There are some good solid state amps by McCormack, BEL, even NAD, and other manufacturers that I would choose over these in a heartbeat. I would steer a friend toward a modestly powered tube amplifier if suitable for their speakers and musical tastes.

Submitted by PerryC a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
    WHERE THE HELL DID MY SPEAKERS GO? That's what happens when you start listening (broken-in and left on all the time). For the price, this amp is simply AMAZING!!! Imagine what the price would be if there was a middleman. Maybe the the price will double, the way the STRATOS sounds. I'll make it short. Put all the positive reviews here all together and that will be my review.If you call their tech support, you talk directly to the owner/designer, not some random guy.

I bought mine used for $500...can't complain. And this is a basic model. I'm planning to have it upgraded in the future but for now, I mam very happy with it.

Highly recommended!!!

CANARE Wires
    SONY CDP 102 (1985)

Submitted by Ross76 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
    I have a Stratus extreme plus. it was upgraded to that as I had shipping damage on initial delivery. Klaus and Mike have been great in handling the shipping incident and, of course, shipping accidents are not their fault. However, a couple of months after the shipping incident my left channel went kaput. It may have been related to the shipping damage. Nevertheless, Klaus and Mike took good care of me ( twenty year warranty, TWENTY). I have had the amp now, again, for about 4 months. Everything is going great and it sounds great. Meaning, it reveals what is on the recording. Great recordings sound absolutely stunning in clarity, imageing, soundstage, depth, low end and lack of high glare. Poorer recordings don't sound as good ( of course )but do benefit from the ultra revealing nature of the amp. Bottom line I am VERY HAPPY with the service I have got from Odyssey. I also am very happy with the sound of the amp. The only reason for 4 stars is that I had to ship it out twice for repairs. Tthough I don't beieive it is due to poor manufacturing. With trouble free operation for a few more months and I would certainly raise my rating to 5 stars. I have Nestorovic 5AS speakers, Cascade tube pre-amp, OPPO universal, Phillips turntable, PS Audio Duet power conditioner, Transparent, the link, cables. .For the price and performance I am happy I chose Odyssey.