Niles Audio Corporation SI-1260
Description: <ul> <li>12 channel amplifier</li> <li>60 watts RMS per channel into 8 Ohms .06% THD</li> <li>80 watts RMS per channel into 4 Ohms .06% THD</li> <li>Bridged: 100 watts RMS/channel into 8 Ohms .06% THD</li> <li>Three turn-on modes: audio sense, voltage trigger and manual</li> <li>Voltage trigger input accepts 3-30V AC/DC</li> <li>Binding posts spaced to accommodate dual banana plugs</li> <li><li>6 independent turn-on circuits for multi-zone applications</li> <li>12-volt DC control out</li> <li>Independent level controls for each channel</li> <li>Cascade outputs for "daisy-chaining" amplifiers</li> <li>Independent protection circuits for each channel</li> <li>Removable 2-wire line cord</li> <li>UL/CSA approved</li> </ul>

Submitted by 532015 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is my first review. I have always read them, but never produced one. When I saw that one of the components that I use constantly had no review, I felt compelled to write one.

Wow! What great sound! I did'n expect much quality sound from this amplifier because I am driving 17 (yes 17) ceiling speakers with it. It is possible to drive up to 36 speakers with this amp because each channel can drive up to 3 speakers rated at 8 ohms. I have heard ceiling speakers in restraunts and shopping centers. I'm sure you know what I mean when I say the sound is crappy. I have always wanted audiophile quality sound in my condo, and I was planning on buying high end B & W floor standing speakers for the main listening area, but after hearing the ceiling speakers I don't need them (my guest constantly tell me I don't need floor speakers because the quality of the sound is so good). My favorite thing to do is wait until I have a guest come over and sneak over to my stereo to turn it on. Their reaction is always the same - "Wow! that sounds great!" I had read so many reviews on ceiling speakers from audiophiles. All of the reviews said that they couldn't produce really good sound. I also read a quote from a reviewer in an audiophile magazine that stated "The amplifier is by far the most important component in the chian of components. I don't believe the former, I definately believe the latter. The speakers that I am driving are B&W CCM 65's. I ran "Home Depot" 12 gauge speaker wire to these speakers from my amplifier and built back boxes for the ceiling speakers. The sound is really really good. Plenty of volume too. I never use even half of the available volume. The amplifier is rated at 60 watts per channel, and I am using some channels to drive 2 speakers. The speakers are rated up to 65 watts each. I know that excess power gives more quality to the sound. Since I am splitting channels, I expected average sound. That's not what happened. I wish you could hear Frank Sinatra's voice being driven by this amp. You would surely be very pleased as I am. I suppose you could say it's other components that are giving me the great sound. I would say its the amp because I am using the cheapest 12 gauge wire from Home Depot and a $100 NS665 Sony DVD player I bought from Best Buy. The only thing left are the B&W CCM 65's ($225 each) and the amplifier. If you plan to drive a bunch of ceiling speakers like I am doing, I guarantee you won't be dissappointed. Do yourself a favor. Don't buy cheap ceiling speakers and get that elevator/restaurant crappy sound. Go to an audiophile/stereo specialty store. Audition a bunch of ceiling speakers. Spend some money on what you can afford. If you do, you can save your floor space and have really good sound everywhere. Good Luck!

Purchased At:   Niles Dealer in Flor