Nikko Alpha 220
Description: 120 Watt Power Amplifier (1979-1983)

Submitted by MrHyperactive a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
My Parents bought this entire system in the mid 80's had the whole shabang (tape deck, CD player, Turntable, equilizer, radio) Anyways, I never really though of it much until It was time to move and my parents wanted to get rid of it. I guess it was to big. I went into an electronics store and was talking with one of the salesmen about the new amps and happened to mention the Nikko amp. He was amazed. He asked me how much I paid, and he told me never to get rid of it. He used to DJ with the model up. Right now the Amp is hooked up to my computer, with which I watch all my movies and listen to all my music. I still think it blows all my friends systems out of the water.

The 2 tower speakers that come with them are loaded with a 13" woofer, 13" Midrange, a 4 1/4" high range and a tweeter. They sound so crisp.

When I was at school I used just the smaller speakers that came with the system. They were nice and loud when I needed them to be.

Purchased At:   From Parents

Submitted by ratpac11 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
i also have an alpha II. purchased from crazy eddie in 1979. this amp took one hellava beating, and never broke down.it was cranking out the last days of the southern rock, and the very beginning of the new wave movement;gen x-aka billy idol. during the dance heydays it had a monster pair of cerwins, a medium size infinities, aset of ar's, and an additional set of free standing tweeters set up in stack formation all on at once.

Purchased At:   crazy eddies

Submitted by maz1 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have a Nikko NA 120 amp, EQ 120 equalizer and a ND 120w tape deck that I got at an auction for $140. The speakers are Nikko too and have built in circuit breakers so you don't blow them. They also have bass reflex things under the woofer (not free air flow). I like the system and it has real high quality sound, but I don't know a thing about it. If you could help me find anything out about it, give me a shout.

Purchased At:   auction

Submitted by R_I_P a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Hi.
Have bought Nikko since late 78, my first was an integrated model, Trm 750. Used it home and for some dj'ing, not any problems at all. My next was Alpha 440, Beta 40 and Gamma 40, this set I had for about 15 years without any trouble. I used it with some enormous Coral speakers ( Japanese copies of JBL ) with exellent smooth sound and breathtaking power. Sold this when I heard of a Alpha 2000 ( 330 w.p.c ), big , black with enormous blue V.U meters in front and possible to use balanced connections witch I did connected to an Denon PRA 1500 preamp. What a sound !!!! Clear like glass, power enough to break a rib. I uded this for a year until I looked at some Home Cinema stuff, sold it and bought a Onkyo 901 THX reciever. SOB. Allright, the new box wasn't bad at all, very nice for Home Cinema and a crisp / clear sound but nothing like my Nikko amps.
Somebody who want to sell me an Alpha 2000 ??

Purchased At:   QXL

Submitted by Kow K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
Forgive me to post a review of Nikko Alpha II here. No other entry is provided for review.

My Alpha II is made in Japan, in April 1978, more than 20 years ago. Actually, it is suffering from its age. It needs some time for "warming up" until it gets fully functional. Until then, you usually don't hear nothing from the right channel. But to be completely honest with you, I've never got messed up with this "minor" problem.

I say it is minor because it sounds great. Yes, its performance is almost incredible; clean, open, and natural. No coloration at all. It has even a good pace.

If I can add something to the reputation of Nikko gear, it is that in my case, Alpha II outperformed a used Classe CAP 80 (= 101) which cost me nearly $650. The Classe is one of the so-called hi end units. But their comparison was nearly an "unfair match-up".

No matter how wonderful unit it is, it has some weaknesses. Most seriously, its binding posts are outdated and you'll have great hardship if you try to to hook them multi-stranded cables. RCA jacks are not gold-plated (but I don't think no audio gear had gold-plated even in early 80's). Finally, it's pretty rare.

For the last thing, I have a solution for you if you're one of those who really love audio and are not biased by brand names. It is Alesis RA 100 (and probably 150, 300). I owned both. Admittedly, Alesis amps aren't as powerful as Nikko amps, but they are easier to get and among other, they're very good performers.

Dissapointed with CAP 80, I posted critical reviews of CAP 80 and 101 before. They seem to get a Classe fan mad. In his review, he added a comment on my systems, daring to say that my Nikko and Alesis are "little better than bookshelf systems". Well said, man! I have listened to CAP 80, but I strongly wonder if he EVER known Nikko or Alesis, let alone having listened to any.

Let me add a brief comment on Nikko's brand name. I'm visiting US from Japan and I believed I knew all Japanese audio manufacturers. But I've never heard of "Nikko" until I found reviews of their products here at this site. The world is wide ....

Do you what "Nikko" means in Japanese? My guess is that it's an acronym of Ni(ppon) Ko(ugyou), or something like that, roughly meaning "Japan Technologies". But you can't trust me too much here. I almost nothing about this company except that they manufacture

Purchased At:   eBay