NHT SA-3 Amplifiers

4.4/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $750.00

250W Mono Subwoofer Amplifier - Line Level In/Out

Submitted by dimoradiamond a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Awesome Amp. Great bang for the buck. Gets loud and never distorts, even at ridiculous levels. I love this amp!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by toenail a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
NHT SA-3 purchased in the box for $175 un-used. I use it to power my homemade bi-amped towers. The amp drives two 12" JL Audio 12W0 woofers. I'm using an original Dynakit stereo 70 tube amp to drive the high end. The NHT offers everything I could hope for as a dedicated subwoofer amp. I use the pass through x-over to filter out lows from the signal going to my Dynakit. The low end can be blended seamlesly with a little time and some reference material. This amp is very dynamic. It can handle anything I throw at it, including occasional abuse while showing off the excursion cababilities of the JL 12's. When properly blended with the high end it is simply stunning for deep strings, pipe organ, acoustic bass etc. A quick adjustment of the settings can set you up for theater experience that is breathtaking. Can reproduce 25 Hz tones with ease and never overheat.

Purchased At:   Mardens Portland, ME

Submitted by wigmon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
First off, this review is for the SA-2 amp, not the SA-3. The main differences being 120 watt amp vs. 250 and only had 2 phase switch positions (0 and 180) instead of 4. I was debating between which amp I wanted to bi-amp my VT-2 tower speakers (this amp runs the subs in each speaker) and had decided on the SA-3, but found a good deal on the SA-2, so I figured to give it a try. As it turns out, the SA-2 will be more than enough amp for my listening preference.

This amp seems to have (I've only been listening for a couple of weeks so far) more than enough power to handle the VT-2's 10-inch woofers even on the heaviest and fastest bass tracks I have, and with plenty of power in reserve. I had been using only a 100 watt Yamaha receiver (2095 model) to power the towers and always felt something was missing, like the receiver was straining to drive the NHT's. Now with the receiver running the highs (filtered through the SA-2's crossover), and the SA-2 driving the woofers, the speakers have become much more revealing and detailed, and I haven't even spent any money on cables or speaker wire (using cheap RCA connecters like the ones that come free with your VCR). I can only hope that the detail and soundstage will improve with better interconnects. For me, bi-amping with this SA-2 amp has produced a marked improvement in my listening pleasure, and has eliminated the need for a seperate powered subwoofer in my system.

Rated this as a 5-star for value as it is doing the work of 2 powered subs in my set up, and has improved the performance of my HT receiver. Was considering new higher powered receiver or 5-channel amp, but got what I wanted for $200 instead of $2000+.

Purchased At:   Ebay - Used

Submitted by Eric Butler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a very good amp, power is clean and has enough headroom to drive two subs wired in parallel. I had only one problem when I hooked this amp to my system. It created a ground loop (those suck) and I had to do some research to fix the problem because I never heard of ground loops before this. All I had to do to fix this is to convert the three prong power cord that plugs into the wall to two prong. You can buy these for $2.00 and you get rid of all the low level hums. I am very pleased with this amp. It is rated to deliver 250 watts rms into 6 ohms mono, and when two six ohm subs are hooked in parrallel the amp delivers 330 watts rms. I have a Carver TFM 15cb and the NHT plays just as good. The NHT does seem to have a little more power to drive low ohm loads. I tried hooking my two NHT VT 2.4s to the Carver in parrallel and the Carver blew the internal fuses, it did not like that low of an impedence, but the NHT will just Drive them with no problem! Great amp can not be beat for the money.

System:
Sony ES str v444 Receiver (running highs and mids all surrounds)
Sony NC 600 DVD/CD
Carver TFM 15CB AMP Bridged to 300 watts and driving two ten inch Rockford Fosgate subs and a Rockford Fosgate 15 DVC
NHT SA-3 amp driving the sub section of the NHT VT 2.4 tower speakers.

Purchased At:   Keifs audio video

Submitted by ScottH a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
When shopping for an amplifier, I was looking at the Acurus A200 + RL-11, which sounded incredible, but was somewhat more expensive than I wanted. So I tried bi-amping my speakers (NHT 2.9s) with a less expensive NAD 317 integrated and the SA-3. I didn't expect anything, but it actually sounded as good as the Acurus setup, for somewhat less money. Plus, it allows for bass adjustment without resorting to the much-feared bass & treble preamp controls.

CSB 1206 BLK: