Naim NAP-140 Amplifiers

45 Watt Power Amplifier

Submitted by JimmyBlues a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
Back In The Saddle Again With Naim "Shoe Box" Style Amplification

It's been about a decade and a half since I sold my Naim CDI - NAP 72 - Hicap - NAP 250 system, taking a sabatical from the hi-end. About eight years ago I decided to get back into the hobby with the purchase of a Linn Classik music system and a pair of Linn Kan V speakers.

I've kept the aforementioned, and added quite a bit of vintage gear since that time, including a number of tuners, amplifiers, preamps and tape decks.

Amongst them is some vintage Naim gear from the 1980's, including a chrome bumper Naim NAC 42 - Hicap - NAP 110 setup. As well as a newer cosmetic NAC 62, which will run both 24 volt rails on the Hicap power supply.

The NAC 42, which predates the Hi-Cap power supply, can be used with a Hi-Cap. However, it will only run one of the 24 volt rails in the Hi-Cap. Personally, I have not been able to hear much of a difference between the 42/62 Hi-Cap setups; both sound extremely similar, which should come as no surprise given that their electronic architecture is basically the same; the NAC 62 being a refinement of the earlier 42 and 42.5 preamp's.

They both work quite well in my vintage system, which includes an Electrocompaniet Preampliwire IIA and Electro Amplwire 65, as well as a Naim NAP 110 - which gave up the ghost the day affer I purchased it off of Audiogon. The seller did state that the NAP 110 did have a slight hum to it, indicating that its ancient power supply capacitors were starting to fail. However, I did expect that the amplifier would last more than a day after purchasing it.

On the plus side, the NAP 110 is in excellent cosmetic shape, and worth every penny of the $273 I paid for it.

However, rather then sending it back to Naim Audio NA for what is certain to be a $400 to $500 service, I am going to spring for the Avondale Audio Mini Cap 6 capacitor mod for my NAP 110, which is a nice clean design that will fit into the space left vacant by the two ancient power supply cap's and rectification that I've since removed.

The Mini Cap 6 module costs about $150, and appears to be a straightforeward installation, while offering a great sonic improvement over the original power supply.

Overall, the Naim NAP 110 offers a nice stopping point if you plan on eventually trading up to more powerful vintage Naim amp's like the 160, 180, 250 or 135's. However, the NAP 110 is more than good enough to be your last amplifier, provided that it's partnered with an efficent pair of transducers.

I'd also recommend using the NAP 110 (as well as all other Naim amplifiers, with Naim preamplification) since these amplifiers are designed to work best with Naim preamp's. However, I have found that Naim preamplifiers, when partnered with high quality amplifiers from other manufacturers, can often sound as good if not better than their Naim counterparts.

* Note that you must have a separate Naim power supply in order to do this, such as a SNAPS, Hi-Cap or FLATCAP.

Many Naim enthusiasts also found this out when a British audio dealer (whose name presently escapes me) decided to begin importing American audio back in the 1980's, in efforts to break the stronghold that Naim and Linn had on the British audio community at the time. Many a Naim enthusiast ended up trading in his NAP 250 for a Krell KSA 50, finding the KSA 50 to be superior is many ways.

Personally, I've owned both the KSA 50 as well as 250 and 135's, and consider all three to be superb amplifiers, when set up properly.

As for my NAP 110, I plan on doing this Mini Cap 6 upgrade in the coming year, finances permitting.

Enjoy the music!

Jimmyblues..

Submitted by Alan Brownstone a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
After searching for over 30 years for my Nirvana I came across a nAP 110 which i had upgraded to a 140 by naim UK. This Amp is superb. I use it with a 72 and SNAPS, Theta Pearl and Chroma DAC with the JM Lab 927be speakers. Rhythms, depth, beautifully clear bass (I hate wallow) and trebles that shimmer. I recently tried a NAP 250 and was stunned that I preferred the 140. I may take one reviewers tip and go for a High Cap. No more upgrading for me!!

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by kev6eel a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
In my 72/HiCap/140 combo this power amp is amazing. It truely is a fit and forget amp - the musicality of it allows you to foget about hi-fi and rediscover music. This combo lets you forget all the spurious hi-fi talk and concentrate on what matters - the source material ie: the recorded work. Yes it is very revealing of poor sources, so don't hook up your old plastic Pioneer turntable and think you will be amazed, cos you will not! Also, do not bother using a non-Naim pre-amp with a 140. They usually sound poor or worse. Good 62'2, 72's are available second hand via eBay or Loot for £2-300, so check them out. Then if you want a REAL list in dynamics and depth, add a HighCap PSU. It takes it to a much higher level. I have had my combo for 5 years and I do not intend to change anything!

Purchased At:   Loot.com

Submitted by chrisallan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got this and a 42.5 pre-amp from a surplus store that had undervalued them - my idea was to re-sell them for some extra bucks. Wrong! After years of unsatisfactory set-ups I was listening to music again. I've since added decent interconnects and naim speaker cable and this is the best sound I have ever had - detail, sweetness, punch, and I can listen to it for hours.
I'm converted and the only upgrade I would now consider is the Naim 250.

Purchased At:   Surplus store

Submitted by moby18 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had more than my fair share of amplifiers as I used to work in a Hi End Hi-Fi shop in Manchester town centre UK. One day we traded in a little Naim Nait 3 and plugged it in for a laugh. It drove a pair of Kef reference speakers (£2,500)incredibly well with balls i've not heard from an integrated. So much so I took it home for a full audition. A week later I bought it!

Working in a hi-end shop introduces you to some incredible sounding pices of kit but the basic ingredients of this amp were spot on. Ok, so the soundstage isn't very deep but the drive and clarity got me hooked. The phono stage was also stunning for the money. To cut a long story short I had several Nait 3's and finally managed to get my hands on a NAC72/NAP140 which is 11 years old. I was more than a little apprehensive because of the age of the units but once plugged in all that disapeared. This amp is simply phenominal and the best six hundred quid I have ever spent on Hi-Fi. If you have an older combo like mine it is well worth getting the units serviced and also replacing the old grey snaic with a new black one. The sound was cleaned up and sounds even better. I have a pair of Dynaudio Audience 52's and this combo sounds great. There are a lot more expensive hifi systems out there but in my opinion you would have to spend a lot more money to get more music and enjoymnet than this pair.

Purchased At:   Second Hand