NAD C 270 Amplifiers

4.77/5 (22 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

120W x 2

Submitted by Jon Lusk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have loved sound and the likes of Adcom, Counterpoint, Carver, Audio Research, Acurus, Sim Audio, Emotiva and Cary for close to 30 yrs now. Recently I had to part with my Cary due to financial difficulties so I purchased one of these after reading lots of reviews and I must say "WOW" this amp is a stone cold killer of a bargain! Now comparing It to the likes of the Cary or Sim Audio, Audio Research it unfair simply because they are much better but at 5 X 10 times the price or more. With that said this amp would and does hold it's own in every way! The reserve power and depth of the soundstage is simply amazing at this price point and honestly you will have to spend 5 X the price to get better. Love it and have purchased the 2100 for my center channel and bridged it. My Cary was 200 X 5 compared to 120 x 2 of the c270 and I have had to adjust the decibel level down by 2 with the NAD's compared to the Cary.. Highly recommended!!

Submitted by Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
I use 4 of these for my bluray 7.1 system. It sounds amazing this is clearly one of the best amps ever made for the price tag. Nad really got it right even with the new c7320 and the c272 the c270 and c370 still sound better. There is so much power and clarity in these amps. Is there anybody else out there who has used it in a 4 amp 7.1 surround system. I would love to hear your views

Submitted by twc644 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2008

Bottom Line:
Update: Now owning this amp 5 years later from my last review and still going strong.It was running a little warm so I changed out 95% of the tired smaller capacitors from 1uf to 2200uf.This restored the dynamics and lowered the overall temp of the amp.It sounds better than new and is driving two pairs of modified Polk bookshelfs.

Very warm sound.It retains the capacity to drive two pairs of speakers dropping the impedance down below 4 ohms.I'm impressed by this being this amp is pure mid fi.Not to mention it's built in China ! It still provides clean highs,warm midrange,and surprising bass with four 10,000uf 80volt caps for the main power supply.

Personally,I feel anyone would be happy buying this amp used for a modest system.I can say it sounded better than an equivalent Adcom I use to own

I'm still a happy owner and it does not leave me wanting more.
***IF ANYONE COULD PROVIDE A SERVICE MANUAL I SURE WOULD BE GRATEFUL TO ADJUST DC OFFSET***

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by rsmcphee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have 3 of these for home theater running a Martin Logan Ascent, Martin Logan Theater i, and Martin Logan Scenarios. Also, I matched the NADs with the Rotel 1066 surround sound processor. My sources include Samsung HD931, Pioneer A563A universal player, and Musical fidelity A324 upsampling DAC. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Martin Logan speakers, they are one of the most demanding speakers to drive for any amplifier. I must admit I had my concerns when I first hook up the NADs 270 with the Martin Logans, but after listening to them and allowing them to break in about 100 hours, I was immediatedly floored when I heard the sweetness of vocals that comes out of my speakers. The instruments had space and dimensionality that can only be associated with great amplifiers such as Krell KAV500, Pass X3, ATI 2007, and Simaudio Titan. I have owned all these high end amplifiers but I must admit the NAD is very very good in comparison to high end amplifiers. Of course my favorite is the Simaudio Titan, but then again it is $6300 retails versus the inexpensive NADs. Going back to the NAD, it is very easy to listen to. If I had describe it I will simply call it NAD's non-fatiguing, natural sounding character. In comparison to the $6300 Simaudio, the NAD has less dynamics and less air. But for the money, it is a wonderful bargain. The Simaudio and NAD comparison is not really fair, its like comparing a Ferrari and a Nissan. There is simply no contest in sound quality. Of course, the NAD losses in this comparo, but what is surprising is for the money this little amplifier gives out sound that can be more associated with high end equipment. I really enjoy this amplifier especially when matched with the Martin Logan Scenarios. It makes the Martin Logan Scenarios sing with imaging and realism. The partnership between the Scenarios and the NAD C270 had me smiling from ears to ears. Now, switching to home theater, I heard same sound in music. The sound is clear, crisp and non fatiguing. The bullets were flying all around the room with Matrix Reloaded and it seems like the amplifier provided enough low end when needed. The dialogue were easily understood and the music background were heard without being overly done. In short, this amplifier works double duty as home theater amplifier and stereo amplifier. Get 3 of these for 5.1 setup and you will smiling without a doubt for theater application. It may not be the most detail amplifier in the world, but for the overall musicality and listenability I will gladly give this amplifiers a 5 star without reservation. I bought this amplifier for my second home theater from BRETT INTERIORS 520-733-9896 and they were very helpful in helping me match my system for very affordable price. Thanks NAD and Thanks Brett Interiors for such musical equipment!!!

Purchased At:   BRETT INTERIORS

Submitted by eemlawyer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased my C 270 used in an effort to find a budget amp to run on the front L and R pre-outs on my Denon AVR 2801 to power my new Magnepan MG1.6/QR speakers. The Maggies are revealing and power-hungry and I had a tight budget. I ended up with a match made in heaven. The C 270 feeds the Maggies well and never breaks a sweat! And talk about crystal clear highs and a "breathy" midrange! And solid, defined bass! It's all here- as much as I could ever ask for. This is the only system I have ever owned that sounds better at home than in the store. By the way, this amp is quiet, delicate AND powerful.

I know there are better amps out there, but this one is good enough to keep me distracted from everything but listening to music.

Purchased At:   Audio Systems