NAD 925THX Amplifiers

3.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $1299.00

Power Amplifier

Submitted by Dale a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
Gee, I gave it such a glowing report only to come back now and tell you a couple of weeks later a channel on this amp went out.
I popped the top just to see if it was something obvious. In the course of investigating, a single wire solder terminal came off in my hand. It was a cold solder joint. I repaired it myself, but it did not fix the channel problem.
The fuses are buried on channel boards inaccessible without removing the board or a special tool. Believe me, I have been in electronics engineering/manufacturing for over 20 years, those channel boards do not snap out.
So I shipped it off to the dealer where it remained for over a month. The last I heard the tech was still waiting to get a schematic for it.
The dealer agreed it was not a good situation and offered me some recourse. It ended up being a B&K amplifier , the 3 channel 3220.
No comparision in performance or build quality.
I bragged about 2 big caps at 25,000 mfd each in the 5 channel NAD. The B&K has an even larger toroid, and 4 each 15,000 mfd. caps. (only 3 channels.. remember?)
The 925 is designed in the UK and built in the US. The B&K is designed and built in the US. Go figure.
But based on my experience I would stay away. Go for a Rotel, B&K, Anthem, ATI, etc.. whatever best matches your speakers.
It hurts me to say that as a NAD T751 owner I use now as a pre/pro for my B&K. But the receiver sounds as good as the 925, as well as having superior build quality.

Purchased At:   985

Submitted by Dale a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
Very clean, and gobs of power. I am using a T751 receiver
as a preamp/processor and it works out just great.
I only have an M&K 750THX speaker system, so it would seem the amp would be wasted on such small mains and surrounds.
(The sub has a built-in amp).
But in fact it does offer an added degree of impact, especially for movies, and still retains the natural sound for music, but a bit on the warm side. This balances out the M&Ks very nicely.
It's built like a tank too. I had to pop off the top and check out the workmanship, which is excellent. A well thoughout design using convection cooling (no fan) and it reamins only warm afte hours of driving my speakers. The mains by the way, are 4 ohms. But no selector swtich to deal with as the NAD sense the speaker load and adjusts the supply voltage accordingly. A toroid transformer to die for, flanked with 2 computer grade 25,000 fd capacitors.
Great amp for a more than fair price. Unless you have dull sounding speakers. audition this one for your system.

Purchased At:   All Home Theater

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
This amp is one of the great buys in home theater. It is conservatively rated and has a great sound. I was leaning heavily towards buying parasound, but the NAD was considerably less expensive and had a far better sound (warm). Adcom and ATI are far too bright for me (they may be fine for Rock music but don't cut it for good jazz). for smooth, clean power, I highly recommend this amp.

Submitted by Drew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
In its class (5 channel amps less than $4,000) it performs as well as anything you can buy. With an unlimited budget, Bryston and ATI rock, but for 5 channel performance at a quarter of the price, the NAD is definitely the way to go. The sound is neutral and clean (like Rotel), and no where near as bright or forward as the Adcom (which would be a bad match for Klipsch, B&W, NHT or Polk speakers). Has the power to really make the bass snap quickly and the midrange and tweeter are clean. This is an excellent amp. I'm using this amp for my center, rear and side speakers in a 7 speaker system, but if I had smaller bookshelf speakers (rather than large towers that can eat 300w per channel for breakfast) I would not hesitate to use the NAD in a 5 channel system. NAD has a reputation for building equipment designed for those who value the sound of their equipment above all of the frills. This amp is no exception, plenty of clean power that sounds far better than anything except the truely elite (and expensive) equipment like Bryston and ATI.

Submitted by Mike a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp because it was cheap and sounded decent. I like the sound now that it has broken in for a while, though I really don't have much to compare it too.
Electronics:
Acurus ActIII
NAD925THX
Panasonic A300 DVD
Sony MDP LD
Audioquest Turquoise Interconnects
MIT speaker cables

I have no complaints whatsoever about power. The sound is clean, very warm (good and bad), and staging is great. Bass could be tighter, high end and midrange are clean and clear.

My one complaint about this peice is that interconnects that have tight grips just rip the sleeve right off of the input connector. This is bogus and should never happen.

I bought this amp for $750 and I'd say nothing can beat it for the price.