NAD 916 Amplifiers

4.86/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $699.00

6 Channel Power Amplifier - 30 Watts

Submitted by Michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic amp. With 6 channels and bridgable it gives you lots of room to play around with configurations to get the most out of your speakers. I can't go past that really nice NAD sound, warm and full.

As the other reviewers have said, if you can find it, grab it!

Purchased At:   Prouds Audio

Submitted by DFK a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I agree with the other reviewers. This 6-channel bridgeable amp is my single best value-per-dollar investment yet. You'll love it too...If you can find it! One of it's charms is that it's so flexible. I mean I can use it as the heart of a 6-channel near-field Dolby Digital system OR as a very-high-powered bridged 3-channel amp for the (all-important) Left-Right-Center speakers. It's an amp that will always find a use somewhere in my system(s).
At the same time it has that NAD quality of build & sound. Which means it's suited in bridged mode for an audiophile's 2-channel system.
In my opinion it sounds just as smooth, airy, and full-bodied as the Parasound amps, buthas no trouble dealing with finicky and inefficient loudspeakers (such as Magnepans) in normal-sized listening rooms-- the loads which A/V receivers often can't deal with.
One of the great things about a bridgeable 6-channel amp like this is that it lets you experiment. Experiment with bi-amping, or with running a vintage passive subwoofer like Audio Concepts' Sub 1 on the sixth channel (rather than paying top dollar for a new powered sub)...
Oh, one more thing... In my personal experience, NAD customer support & product longevity has been excellent. No planned obsolescence here!

Purchased At:   internet merchant

Submitted by Freaky a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
A great versatile piece. When I first got this amp I tried it as 6x30W with 3 pairs of PSB alpha minis (paired center). This worked great with the equivelant sound of a NAD 314 integrated (a favorite amp of mine). However this amp lends itself to many different configurations and I just had to try all of them. I tried bridging all channels to 3x90, for a dramatic improvement across the range. I then settled on a 2x90 front L+R, with one mono 30W channel driving two rear speakers in parallel (30x2) and another channel driving two centers (another 30x2). The amp is capable of these loads comfortably. If I had Dolby Digital 5.1 I would not be able to do this configuration as the rear channels are dicrete L+R. Further, this amp is based on the 912, so one could easily expand by adding a 912 or two to drive additional channels. These possibilities add to the fun of building a system and squeezing all the juice out of it. I have loved having a versatile amp like this and I think it will remain with me as my system grows.

Submitted by Daniel Lofgren a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
I´m using the 916 togheter with the Rotel RSP-966 sound processor and Canton speakers. Instead of bridging the 5&6th channel, I left one obselete in order to obtain a similar current strength on all channels.
I think it sound great, it has that typical soft Nad sound. The 6x30 W power rating is a true understatement, it can be pushed to really decent levels. It has three separate transformers [actually it is three 912´s in one box], and it feels sturdy and well built. All metal, no plastic. Value is great.

A great piece of equipment to start out with when building a home cinema system. For more power, just bridge all channels and get 3 x 90 W, add a two-channel amplifier.

Given the price/performance, I´d like to give this unit 5 stars, minus 0,25 stars for lack of "protection" relays.

Submitted by Mark a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
I picked up a used 916 about 9 months ago for about $275. Using it in 6 x 30W mode to feed 3 different rooms (audio only - have seperate home theater system). Sound is fairly typical NAD power amp, warmish and punchy. Front end in use is a Sony CDP-CA8ES and Sony TA-E1000ES preamp (using DACs in preamp). Build quality seems pretty solid - its a heavy unit. There are relays to prevent power-on thump to the speakers. My main listening speakers are NHT superZeros and a small AR S8HO powered sub. The NHTs are very inefficient, and so the sound is a little flat at higher volumes. I have tried bridging to create 2 x 90w setup for the NHTs - it makes quite an improvement. Hard to beat the value.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile