NAD 2600A Amplifiers

4.67/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

150 Watt Monitor Series Power Amplifier - Power Envelope - Bridging - Input Level Controls (1987-1991)

Submitted by milosz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2011

Bottom Line:
First off, note that the NAD Monitor Series 2600A power amp is the same as the power amp section of the NAD 7600 receiver. 7600 receiver is on of the best receivers ever made, great sounding tuner, good preamp and darn good discrete FET phono stage.

The "house sound" of NAD amps in the late 1980's was a slightly less strident high end on top of good mids and powerful, well controlled bass. What you'll notice with an NAD amp compared to many other solid state designs is that the highs sound less brittle, less harsh. The sound is definitely "poor mans high end." It's not as transparent or tube-like as a Nelson Pass class A design, but then it costs way less. And the bass is every bit as good as any amp out there. The "Power Envelope" design is a commutating power supply scheme that allows a very large, solid power headroom. I can't imagine you could run out of steam using this amp in a home setting. This amp is rated at 150 watts RMS / channel long term but they often actually measure more like 200 watts, and then on top of that they have a full 6 dB of headroom. That's 800 watts per channel at 8 ohms available for about a half second provided by the "power envelope" feature. The power envelope feature really does work, and since most extreme power or current requirements for music are for large transients- think bass drum whack- the ability to provide huge reserves for undistorted transients gives this amp a dynamic ability that few other amps can match, and certainly NO OTHER amps you can routinely buy for under $200 on eBay come anywhere NEAR this amp's sonics. They are also very stable into low impedance loads, I use mine to drive 2 ohms subs. DO NOT GO BELOW 4 OHMS IF YOU ARE USING THIS IN BRIDGED MODE. In bridged mode,each output stage sees 1/2 the load. That means if using a 2 ohm subwoofer array each output stage will be working into 1 ohm. That may be too much to ask in terms of long term reliability!

One problem that all older NAD gear can suffer from is intermittent speaker relay contacts. The contact seem to go bad. The parts are available, but replacing the relays is a bit of a chore. I've never tried using De-Ox-It to try to clean the relays, maybe that would work.

Build quality is not up to "audio jewelery" standards, but for mass market gear it is pretty good.

Submitted by shark777 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have a NAD C272 in my first system and wanted to upgrade my second system.I purchased a perfect cosmetic 2600A on Ebay for $150.The sonic upgrades were amazing after replacing my audiosource amp100 on my second system.A must buy if you find one in decent condition around $100-$200.I paid $699 for my NAD C272 and they are both 150 Watts per in 8 OMHS.The 2600A is equal in qulaity and sonics to the C272 in every way.I wish I thought of this before I plunked down the $699.Anyway this is a great amp with wonderful warm sound,nice bass, and soundstage.

Submitted by bryndildaddy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2009

Bottom Line:
Originally I had purchased this amp as part of a subwoofer project, since it can deliver 250 watts in bridged mode. Instead, I rotated this amp into my system for a months time inbetween running a B&K 4420EX and McInthosh MC2125. Though it is kinda silly to expect the 2600a to match the build quality of those two units, it is quite sturdy and barely broke a sweat during usage.

I found this NAD to have a very forward, punchy sound, especially following the smooth, dark, analytical B&K. After dialling back mids and tweets I found the listening experience to be very enjoyable. This amp projects a massive sound stage, but ultimately lacks a certain amount of inner detailing. I can't imagine running short of usable power with it - this amp has really nice amount of head room and consistently ran cool. The adjustacle inputs were a nice touch, as well.

If your listening style and system leans to the analytical, I would probably recommend this as a backup, but otherwise, if you can find one cheap it has gobs of stable power, and can be bridged to 250.

Submitted by karister a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent sounding and vary stable, sturdy amp. I like the warmth, detail, broad and the deep sound-stage. I never had to crank it up more than 10-11 position and it's a very reliable peace of equipment. Like the fact the whole top part of the cover has plenty of ventilation and it won't heat up as some others do, due to lengthy operation. Though it's almost twenty years old, it can stand up to any amp within it's price range hands down. I think if one can get their hands on a nice amp like this on the used market in good condition, they should go for it and I'm sure you'll like it how good of a amp it is.

Submitted by Con Dempsey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
I Have no idea when this amp was made but I'm guessing late 80s. I scored mine in a pawn shop for forty bucks without having listened to it at all, I then had to go out and get an old 70s Holman pre-amp ($350) oh they pair up sweet just turn on the supply by turning up this amp and you will hardly have to move your preamp a few positions up the volume nob to understand what kind of power your working with. You definitely need some banana plugs because the connections are poor in the back and this can cause the channels to cut out intermittently, spent the evening soldering and now I can really let this thing loose without worrying a bit about cut out. I might have to buy my neighbors some ear plugs or whiskey cause they'll be listening to my music clear as a bell if I'm not carefully. Bring on the power gonna need some spikes to hold my speakers Polk R 16. This is a value set up and will make as much clear noise as any sane person could want.

Nad 2600a?

currently using a late eighties Denon 55 W int. amp., looking to upgrade a two channel vinyl only system. Wondering if this would enough of a step up to be worth the effortRead More »

Opinions on NAD 2600A

Hi all. Anybody have any opinions on the NAD 2600A and whether or not the $230 US I paid for a good used unit is a value? Thanks in advance. :)Read More »

SFLAT: