NAD 216THX Amplifiers

3.74/5 (77 Reviews) MSRP : $699.00

CONTINUOUS AVERAGE POWER OUTPUT INTO 8 ohms: 125W, Rated distortion(THD 20Hz-20kHz): 0.03%, Clipping power (maximum continuous power per channel): 160W - THX Certified

Submitted by Ed P a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2014

Bottom Line:
Hello, I'm using this amp with some older Magnepan MGIIIa's. It drives them very well and with great authority. The sound is very "tubey" sounding to me. I really like it. It puts me in almost a trance of sorts. It allows me to melt into the music and not hear electronics. I paid only $200 from someone on Craigslist but it did need some capacitors replaced as they were looking like they were about to vent. (Four 220uF at 160V). Did the repairs and am now enjoying it very much. Mostly listen to vinyl.

Submitted by Cas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2012

Bottom Line:
After listening to its little brother for al while, it was time to upgrade to the 216THX.
I did read the reviews here en was a little scared to be disapointed.
But i have to say, i realy love the amp, its delivers clear, powerful en nice sound.
That is if your source and speakers are up to the job.

Bought it secondhand and is it is a lot of Hifi for the money.
Still like it better then my old Yamaha gear. Its nicely detailed in high and mid en not to harsh.

Buy one, you wil love it!

Submitted by neddy999 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have had this amplifier for 10 years and (recently) now have two used in bridged mode. This amplifier is superficially very impresssive and makes a fair stab across the frequency range overall. However, it is uneven in its performance. The bass is superb and produces visceral results with my KEF 105 mk1s. Midrange is good though it is the treble that lets the side down. The NAD's are comphrehensively out-classed by the power section of an Arcam AVR200, treble is much more liquid and detailed; the KEF 105's almost dissapear in the sound stage, with the NAD's you always know where the speakers are. The Arcam is bass shy in comparison with the NADs. If I was forced to choose between the Arcam and the two NAD's it would be the Arcam. However I get the best of both worlds, one NAD 216 for each bass bins (x-over 400 Hz) and the Arcam for the midrange&treble. Overall: top class bass for very little money; sound quality is 5 star for bass/subwoofer duty and 3 star when used for full range duty. I can see why this amplifier polarises opinion as it has superb bass but poor treble.

Submitted by jcschlic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
Well I just purchased the NAD 216 THX on eBay to power my mains (Infinity IL60) and I think that given this amps' smooth neutrality combined with my speakers' warm tendencies, the pure clean power of the amp has really let this system shine. For music, this amp has really been what these speakers needed. I consider it a good buy considering I got it for $200.

Submitted by HIFIVE a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
I'm afaid all too often midfi budget gear is often evaluated by some people that have no idea about sound quality, no wonder, most audiophiles wouldn't give this a second look because of price. Several years ago I could of easily been one of those people. I came across the NAD 216 THX by mistake and very glad I did! Years back, I owned some of the older NAD amps and always thought they were very average in sound quality, they just didn't do it for me. This amp is a different story! (NAD power amps are getting much better). I put the Adcom 565 preamp on this amp because I thought it would be an excellent match. I was right! The sound produced by the NAD 216 was amazing, offering a powerful quality transparent 3D sound with a very huge soundstage! I AB'd it against my expensive Threshold power amp and although the Threshold slightly edged it in the midrange, I discovered I could easily live with the NAD 216 in my main system if I were an audiophile on a budget! NAD has got a clear winner on their hands here. Strongly recommend!

FGH 26: