NAD 214 Amplifiers

4.47/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

CONTINUOUS AVERAGE POWER OUTPUT INTO 8 ohms: 80W - Rated distortion(THD 20Hz-20kHz): 0.03%

Submitted by netz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
NAD 214 has been already well covered on this review site, as well as its brother 317 - same amp + preamp circuitry added. I only want to add one thing - do not hesitate to buy two! :)

The way they sound in bridged mode is better than I expected. You know, bridging doubles the distortion and cuts the damping factor in half, so I actually expected them to sound worse. What I got instead when I added a 214 to 317 was a very nice expansion in soundstage, earth-shaking power and the voices got more alive.
Well, we all know NAD is not really high-end, yada yada, but for the money - it delivers.

Maybe elimination of the metal jumper preamp links contributes to this, but now I can tell you - two is better than one ;)

Submitted by stercaland a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2006

Bottom Line:
I've owned my NAD 214 for about 10 years now, and I can certainly say that I'm more than pleased. After 10 years it is going strong, so build quality and reliability certainly has not been an issue. Although NAD no longer makes the 214, I'd feel confident of getting a well-made product if I were in the market for one of their current products. A good used 214 often can be had on Ebay for $200 to $300, and this, of course, speaks volumes of NAD's resell value. In fact, I'm currently in the market for a second one so that I can bi-amp it with my original one.

While it may be true that there are better sounding amps out there (i.e. Bryston, Krell, Conrad-Johnson, Audio Research, etc.), the NAD comes in at only a fraction of the cost of its higher-priced proteges. Yet . . . I'd venture so far as to say that the 214 delivers 90% of the performance of the "price-no-object" amps. Audiophiles with deep pockets and a bit of the old "audiophilia nervosa" syndrome will gladly shell out a few thousand dollars more to eek out a bit more detail, a wider soundstage, or transparency, but I'll save my dollars for other essentials in life.

Adcom, Marantz, and Rotel deliver NAD some stiff competition in the same price range, but my loyalty has always been with NAD and will probably remain firm. Aside from the spartan, dull-grey facade of the amp (which I've grown to love), there's nothing "wrong" with this amp. Similarly-priced competitors offer only a prettier chassis and often for a few hundred dollars more.

Without a doubt, this amp is true to its British heritage. By this, of course, I mean the jolly old "British" sound that is best described as laid back. You know, bass extension that is tight/punchy and controlled but a bit rolled off towards the bottom end. Upper frequencies are transparent although a bit rolled off as well. The midrange----ahhhh yes, the most important midrange----this is where the NAD delivers the goods. True, a Bryston does it better, but you won't hear a more refined midrange from another amp in this price range.

Purchased At:   Underground Sound in

Submitted by Belgarchi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
Excellent power amp for the price. Very well build, heavy, superb toroidal transformer.
It sounds very good, especially in the midrange. Not the deepest in the bass nor the most fluid in the highs, but to have something clearly better, you must spend more than $1,000.

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Submitted by spinback a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought the NAD 214 off a on-line action ebay, it came new in the box so I let it burn in for two weeks before I would give my opinion on how it sounds. After the two week burn in I played a verity of music rock, jazz, classical, the amp played all of these with ease and with finesse, the 214 is towards the neutral side but with warmth the bass is very tight and controlled and this amp has killer dynamics for it's 80 wpc this is due to it's high current design.

The NAD 214 sold new for $500 and was made from 1995 to 2000. I have listened to many NAD amps and the 214 is by far one the best amplifiers that I have heard from NAD it's that good and I have been buying and selling audio for the last twenty eighty years this amp will become a all time classic as did the 3020 intergraded. I love this amp and will be keeping this one for a long time to come, if you can find one of these go for it it's definitely a great amplifier.

Claudio Martini
CM Audio

Purchased At:   E-BAY

Submitted by Jonas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
hello
I bought this amp half a year ago, and it replaced a one year old NAD C300 integreted amp, which i thought was great. I bought it in a local hifi store. The only reason for replacing my "old" amp was that this one was so cheap that i just couldent leave it. I was surpriced over the tight bass, and the clear mid-range. Compared to my old amp, all my music sudently sounded better. I play it with a pair of B&W dm22 speakers, it sounds just lovly. A lovely amp, which i will strongly recomend to others who wants great sound, without paying a fortune.

Purchased At:   2tal

NAD 214 Advice needed

I have a chance to buy a pair of NAD 214 power amps for $300 for the pair or $170 each. I have read mixed reviews about the bass. Can any one comment on the sound of this amp? I am considering 1 amp but may buy 2 and biamp them. Thanks, LarryRead More »

Rotel RB 981 vs NAD 214

Hi All, This is my first time on here, I am looking to get my first Amp, and I am looking at a couple of used ones. I don't really know anything about Amps so I am hoping to get some feedback. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations of one over the other?Read More »

Nad 214 Amp And Bi-wiring?

I was always under the impression that you needed a multi-channel amp to Bi-wire. But the people at Nad insist that if I bi-wire the speaker end, and twist the ends on the amp end and plug them in to each post on the 2 channel amp it is the same thing!!! Is this possible??? JayRead More »

Nad 214 amp and 4olm speakers?

We thinking of picking up a Nad 214 amp that I can get a good deal on. But I'm having trouble finding out whether it can drive my PSB Stratus Silveri's. If anyone has any info for me...great. JayRead More »

Premier Mounts: