Myryad MA240 Amplifiers

120W x 2

Submitted by Hans Damen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2007

Bottom Line:
I was playing with a Rotel RB-991 poweramp lately. As loadspeakers ProAc Studio 150.
Somehow i could not get it right. It was not lifely enough. Now i changed to the MA240 and as a pre the Myryad MP100. I must say things improved a lot! The sound is more open and lifely. Espesially voices like Cecilia Bartoli have improved a lot. The Rotel was impressive but not very honest. Myryad seems more natural.
I am happy i bought it.

Purchased At:   Privat

Submitted by Keith Partington a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
As music lovers our system is required to play music, often all day long, ranging from Andreas Vollenweider and David Arkenstone, Vanessa-Mae and Bond, to Madonna and Kate Bush. After years of Denon and Linn amplifiers, all with their merits and demerits, four months ago based on reviews from enthusuasts and professionals we home auditioned an MA-240. It is absolutely stunning! Sounds of Music at Tunbridge Wells had a special offer of £750 on the new amps which we took advanmtage of, but even at the full undiscounted price of circa £1,000 it would be worth every penny.

We enjoyed the sound of our two Linn LK-140 amps in active mode but tired of them running so hot at only moderate volumes and having no bass punch when turned up high, even when matched with Linn speakers. One Myryad MA-240 in single passive mode can effortlessly impress with subtle details at low volume, bringing out detail in our cd collection that previous amps have never even hinted at, or, cranked up with rock music for dance or exercise sessions it can lift the roof off the house for hours on end. The amplifier barely ever gets even warm and seems to have endless levels of output power to guarantee speaker driver integrity. It certainly delivers much more than its stated 120 watts per channel!

As music addicts rather than audiophiles our system now benefits from the simplicity of single amp massive power supply and has infinitely more detail than any of our previous passive or active Linn amps. With the MA-240 the system sounds incredibly yet realistically detailed, has ample power reserves for sustained playback at whatever volume, and has the ability to project gorgeous treble notes across the ceiling all over the bungalow. The system comprises a Linn Ikemi cd player, Linn Wakonda preamplifier, Castle Harlech S2 speakers (gorgeous sound and quality of finish), Townsend Isolda speaker cables, Van den Hul interconnects, and a REL Strata III powered sub-bass unit (stunning controllability). As well as music power the Myryad also provides excellent effortless sound from our collection of World Cinema arthouse movies, whether from VHS or DVD.

This power amp is here to stay and, if we ever needed more power we wouldn't hesitate to buy a second Myryad unit to run in bridged mono mode at 400 watts per channel.

Purchased At:   Sounds of Music, Tun

Submitted by Mark Perrin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I now have 3 MA240 power amps running with a TagMclaren AV32rEX Pro logic II pre amplifier and i must say its stunning. I have also bridged 2 power amps together for the main speakers and it sounded Blinding, Images were huge and control amazing. I wholeheartedly recommend these power amps to anybody with this pre amp and a love of Hi-Fi & Home Cinema. I am saving for another 4 so that i can Monoblock them for all 7 speakers. Blimey i'm getting obsessed.

Submitted by Sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had to get a new pre-amp because my old one had died. After researching pre-amps on this site I decided on a Parasound. I found Steve at Alpha Sound through Yahoo shopping (looking for a Marantz AV receiver) and offered me a great price on the Parasound, but recommended the Myryad MP-100 as a real step up. He also offerred to send me Myryad and Sherbourn amps to audition in my home even though I felt comfortable with my 15 year old Adcom. All I can say is the difference in the new components was amazing. I chose the Myryad MA-240 over the Sherbourns because it had better imaging and because the Sherbourns seemed to over accentuate the bass and treble (or maybe they were just weeker in the midrange - I had to adjust the volume to compare the two because the Sherbourns have more power). This may also just be because the Myryad amp and pre-amp are better matched. I would not totally discount the Sherbourns: they are about 1/3 less expensive than the Myryad and may pair better with other pre-amps. The only thing to watch for is that they are very long (about 19 inches) and may have trouble fitting into a shallow audio cabinet. My old Adcom sounded muted compared to both the Myriad and Sherbourns even though I had been pleased with it all these years. The most amazing thing to me about the Myryad system is that I have been hearing details in my recordings that I never knew existed. I was so pleased with the new sound that I asked Steve about speakers to replace my Infinity RS-3As. He recommended the Celestion AR2s and let me demo them at home (this is all by UPS). Again a major improvement I would not have thought possible. I know now why he allowed me to demo all this equipment... I bought just about everything he sent me. The next step is the Myryad MCD-100 to replace my 15 year old CD player.

I know this sounds almost like an ad for Steve, but he was very patient with me asking all sorts of questions and let me demo equipment in my home at no risk... something I really didn't expect from a internet dealer. I also price checked using Yahoo, Goto, and called 4-5 Myryad dealer from the list at artech-electronics.com. Alpha sound had the best price on all the Myryad products I checked on by $50-$100 a unit and a good number of the dealers charged full retail price. I also stumbled onto some closeout sales, but was too late to get the components I wanted. Definitely take your time to shop around, you might come across a real deal.

I gave this 4 stars for value only because I think the Sherbourns are probably a better value for the dollar.

My current system is:

Denon CD Player (15+ years old)
Myryad MP-100 pre-amp
Myryad MA-240 amp
Celestion AR2 Speakers
Aperature Interconnects

Purchased At:   alphasound.com

Submitted by Mark Perrin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
What an amazing amplifier, I have been using this ampfor about 6 months now and am consistently impressed by the way it controls my speakers. I listen to all sorts of music and its important to me that my amplifier makes the most of my speakers. I am currently using B&W CDM7SE's at the front and i have continually run into problems with the ever so lean bass. I tried the Rotel amps first but they sounded too bright, the Arcams too basy but WOW, the Myriad is just stunning. Its cheap and has got bags of control & power. I love it so much, i'm saving for another 4 so that i can Bridge them all for use in my surround system.

I PLAN TO USE A TAG MCLAREN AV32R PRE AND 5X + MIRIAD POWER AMPS BRIDGED INTO 400WATTS PER AMP FOR MY SURROUND SYSTEM. WILL POST WHEN COMPLETE 90% SAVED UP NOW.

High End: