Myryad MA-120 Amplifiers

60 Watt Power Amplifier

Submitted by stacie f a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
It's a beautiful machine. I thought that only a tube amp could produce the sound i would appreciate, but i was wrong. This amp gives me the sound quality i always wanted. It isn't for the casual listener, but for anyone who appreciates great sound and complex music it's perfect. It does just as well with beethoven as it does with metallica. And that's a lot to ask of an amp.

Purchased At:   800stereo.com

Submitted by Parman a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
1. I still searching any alternative at this price range(about USD1000.00 MI + MA), not success yet.
2. Never try Japan made Int Amp at this price range. whatever how heavy and how big it is e.g. Denon PMA2000.
3. Change the power cord to NBS Dragon Fly or XLO (the Purple one) in order to get better performance. Just USD100-150, its worth.
4. Suitable to different kind of music like Classic, Pop-rock, Metal, Electronic..etc., therefore suitable to me.
5. MA120 must have if you want to extend the soundstage 50%.
6. Make sure good quality with "no character" interconnect used between MI & MA.
7 At this moment, I am looking for a CD player not more than 1000.00. If anyone have idea, please advise me. I would like to get out the best on MI/A120.

Submitted by Bob Brown a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
I replaced an aging NAD amp with this, pushing it with an aging NAD 1020 preamp and driving a pair of Phase Tech 7Ts. It does indeed remind me of NAD's 40W sound--smooth range, airy, transparent, lacking the body of a more powerful amp, but clear and unmuddied throughout its range. The Myryad can handle bass better than NAD, but overall it sounds somewhat dry--not a fault for some listeners (I prefer my wines dry, too; de gustibus). The build and finish have a no-nonsense, quality feel: simple brushed aluminum face with an understated logo; gold connections at the rear. It's not a super bargain, but worth its price. Perhaps the best that can be said of it is that it does not assert its own personality above the music. If you want bombast and a prestige mark, this is not your amp. But if you love music and don't want to be reminded you're hearing audio, come on in, the listening's fine.

Submitted by Pär a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
Have had a amp like this for about three months by now, and am most pleased. As I would recomend this to anyone who have a chance for a good deal, I submit a few opinions. [I would recomend it as a "full price" purchase as well.]A nice amp with stunningingly detailed and airy sound, and even more stunning look (in my opinion). Sturdy binding posts and nice (inter-) input and output. Power on via a standby mode and relay to avoid "power on spikes" (nice). The build looks and feels like top quality.
The sound is appealing. Sparkling and airy treble with no sign of harshness or "metallic sound". Midrange is airy and excellent with placement of sounds (in the stereo perspective). Bass is detailed and firm with good resolution, easy to hear differences with different bass sounds even if they are of really low frequency (below 50). A complaint may be that the sound is a little on the bright (or should I say "midrangy") side, but in the long it is much easier to live with than a "bassy", "screamy" or "blunt" sound. The amp really excells in keeping each sound unaffected by other sounds (resolution) without loosing the owerall musical sence. [I've heard it at length with Dali 104 and ALR/Jordan M2 (recomended for audition).]
Be aware that ther is a roumour that there was a revision (circa late -97) to this amp, and the integrated MI120. Before that there was a slight problem with harsh treble and loose bass, I'm told. As I havn't heard any "early models" i can't verify this. Listen before you go for a second hand one. Otherwise the ("late") amp is excellent, but don't excpect any spectacular sound when audition it: It sound is rather natural and "as should be". And that´s what counts in the long run!
So if any has a "late" MI120 for sale (in Sweden) I'm certainly intrested ;-) (for biamping).
[I was a lille bit conserned about giving it five stars. It looks like a little bit to much money has gone into build rather than sound, and to me it is sound that is the main topic. So soundwise with respect to cost it's four and a half star rating. (Well, I bougth it (hardly) second handed so my price was lower.) But as a quality gear it is sertainly worth the five star; and the sound is on the "my trusty old amp" side, so maybe the building cost is justified and hence five stars is a correct rating.]
/Pär