Musical Fidelity A3CR Amplifiers

4.69/5 (35 Reviews) MSRP : $1595.00

150-watt-per-channel dual mono power amplifier with choke regulated power supply technology

Submitted by markjrho a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have to admit that when I first connected the A3cr to my Integra, I was not overly impressed; the sound seemed very recording dependant. Admittedly, I was doing all fo my listening throug a pre-pro until I was able to get a dedicated two channel preamp. I recently connected the MF to a Mcintosh C15, and all I can say is WOW! What a difference a quality preamp makes. I am now hearing what others have described. This amp has gobs of power and just keeps going. Yet its detailed with just a touch of warmth. I wouldn't call it overly warm, but just enough to keep that smoothness coming.

Its powering my Nola Viper IIA's and I can say that they have never sounded better in my system. Anyone who is into quality sound should not look past this on the used market. For its average selling price today, ($600) it is a steal and will destroy a lot of today's amps up costing quite a bit more than its original MSRP. Highly recommended!

Submitted by Geoffcin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
After a friend lent me this amps to use with my Magnepan 3.6's, I was planning the day when I could add it to my audio setup. When he bought a massive Classe 401 for his 3.6's I got a chance to buy it and did.

The amp is fast, clean, and dynamic. With rock it excels, but also has excellent low level performance that exceeded all my expectation. The amp is like getting an amp and line conditioner packing into one, as the choke regulation makes for one of the lowest, blackest sound floor I've ever heard in an amp of any price. I've got a brute of an amp that this is replacing, a PS Audio 200c that is rated @ 400wpc into 4 ohms, and the A3cr sounds better in every attribute right up to clipping.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by JoseM a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
After moving to a larger room my NAD 20-watter was not enough anymore.

With the MF A3cr all my music has been suddenly upgraded. Every cd and dvd now has a sound realness never experienced before in this room.

Never had my speakers disappear like this. It's just scaring and amazing at the same time.

With the MF A3cr you don't listen to music you participate in a musical event.

Purchased At:   Used from friend aud

Submitted by timnewhart a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
The A3 CR is a wonderful amp that makes a huge difference in my admittedly mid-fi system. Though I was once a subscriber to and follower of The Audio Critic by uber-objectivist Peter Aczel, I've come to learn that all amps, in fact, do NOT sound alike. And the A3 CR provides justification for such a leap towards subjectivity. However, I should add: most amps DO need careful and considerate matching, and the A3 CR is no exception.

After 100 hours of burn-in, I, initially, had this amp connected to a Transcendent Audio Grounded Grid preamp and a pair of JM Lab Electra 917's. Though I had greatly enjoyed this system when paired to an NAD 270 amp, the A3 CR didn’t quite shine as I had hoped. A little discouraged, I connected the A3 CR to a second system, a Dennis J Had signature AE-3 preamp and a pair of Maggie 1.6’s. For some reason the A3 CR just opened up the Maggie’s like I had never heard.

A final note: I purchased this amp from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio in Upland, Ca. All those griping in various hi-end magazines about audiophiles using bricks & mortar for the info then going elsewhere to buy on-line, should meet Kevin Deal. Perhaps those bricks and mortal stores don’t convey the passion along with the knowledge, as Mr. Deal does. If they did, the customer might commit to the store as much as to the product.

Purchased At:   Upscale Audio

Submitted by AllenP a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I plugged the A3CR amp and matching preamp into a system that had previously hosted a Bryston 4B-ST with Copland CTA301 preamp, and prior to that a Copland CSA 505 valve amplifier. I find my componentry similar to other reviewers here - Audioquest Gibraltar bi-wire speaker cable, Cardas Neutral Ref and Nordost Red Dawn interconnects. Other items are a Copland CD289 CD Player, a Nakamichi CR-5A cassette deck; Linn LP12 Turntable; and Magnum Dynalab MD-108 Tuner. Ths Musical Fidelity combo is far and away the best I have heard with this syetem. Speakers are Totem Tabus on Lovan Sovereign 6 stands.... and the MF pair makes them sound better than they ever did before - crystalline highs, clear mids and imaging and the Bass is :"just right" - I found the Bryston gave too much emphasis to the bottom on these loudspeakers, and the valve amp did not give enough. These pieces are beautifully made, well designed and sound great at a price that I can afford. I have listened to stuff that costs five and six times what this pair does and was not overwhelmed with a difference in percieved quality. Very nice gear

Purchased At:   Whitby Audio Video