Metaxas Audio Systems Solitaire Amplifiers

4.22/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $3400.00

130 Watt Power Amplifier

Submitted by Brian Dahlke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2012

Bottom Line:
Of all the changes/upgrades my system has responded positively to, Verastarr Grand Illussion power cables have enableded audible life changing nuaunces ,softer ,fuller , sweeter /richer sound.with each verastarr cable purchase,I have fallen in love with my cuurrent system over & over agin. Metaxas Solitaire ll amp, Audio Research LS-9 pre, Creek CD 53, Focal Chorus 816 speakers.This investment has rendered trips to hi-fi shops checking out new equipment ,fruitless ! I did not know how beautiful the music could be.

Submitted by bob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
I personally own the Metaxas Solitaire amp and the Marquis 3 preamp. I have previously owned Mac, Krell, Pass Labs, ML and a ton of tube equipment. I found as I moved up the audio chain to more expensive equipment there were slight differences from one brand to another but nothing life changing. People tend to need an excuse for the expensive change of equipment they purchase but after a week of owning most brands there were no big differences until Metaxas. The main difference is the micro detail control and the amount of ambience that the Metaxas product produces. I had owned over 300 different sets of speakers and finally settled on Zu about 3 years ago just because whatever you put into Zu comes out at the speaker end. Zu is phase coherent and the only speaker that I have heard that doesn’t lie. When I put the Metaxas equipment on the Zu speakers they immediately said this is very special sounding electronics. I could get much more into detail but it is just my opinion and as for reliability, not one problem. If there is better equipment out there I have not heard it and just like several other people, every time I demo other more expensive equipment I always prefer my Metaxas.

Submitted by bkdou812 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2011

Bottom Line:
Metaxas Solitiare ll is one of the finest amps out there,with recomended upgrades to stabilize [monster heat sinks etc.] even high dollar amps dont compare .speed ,clarity,and the soudstage is impressive.I`ve owned mine for 7 years, and it`s here to stay.To date I have not found an amp to compare with the Metaxas`s neutral uncolored reproduction. The Metaxas is finiky about what you match it to,cd players,speaker cables,turntables ~ will bring out their inherint weakness,like most high end amps ,it plays well with nice toy`s. I highly recomend Kosta Metaxas`s " Metaxas Solitare ll power amplifier"

Submitted by mitcho103 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2008

Bottom Line:
great sonics if you can get it to work. A common problem as I now find out is the stability of Metaxas equipment. They sound great, but at the expense of stability/ long term usage.

I purchased this and the matching preamp directly from Kostas Metaxas. The amp and preamp had to be sent back countless times to Kostas which is expensive since he is in Australia and I in North America.

I sent back the amps 4 times. Each time Kostas indicated it was repaired and my concerns regarding the stability of his amps was unfounded!!!! I was held captive a couple of times and was told I could come and get my amps from him if I did not like the way he was fixing them. I obviously paid him since it was going to cost huge sums for me to get them.

After the 4th time being repaired, and subsequent break down after a couple of days (once after 30 minutes), I took the equipment to a local tech who builds amplifiers himself. He requested schematics from Kostas to which Kostas would not provide. Kostas indicated it was a secret and the tech was just after his design. Well, the tech repaired it a couple of times and each time the system blew. I finally asked him to do some mods to correct the problems which he did. I finally got the tech to do some mods to the amp. He indicated there were some serious flaws in the design for stability sake. As well as the preamp.

What a disaster buying the Metaxas gear. I had the same problem with his integrated as well. I can not recommend Metaxas gear for anyone unless you are well versed in amplifier/ audio design. You can then mod your amp/ preamp et al for it to work properly. I found threads at various sites after this fiasco and found this is a common problem. I spoke to a couple of former Metaxas dealers in Australia and New Zealand and they indicated that was common with his designs and that they stopped selling his gear because of it.

I still have the copies of the emails to verify my post

Purchased At:   direct from mfg

Submitted by jaap linde a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
The first Metaxas product I bought in 1981, was a used Charisma preamp, built in 1986. I still remember clearly the realistic soundstage, dynamic and detailed bassreproduction, and the very clean, undistorted sound of high frequencies, when I connected it into my set. After a few days, when the preamp had warmed up, also the important midrange in the audiospectrum came alive with astounishing precision.

In those days, as I mostly am doing nowadays, I only played vinyl records. The Charisma has an incredible good phonostage.

Two months ago I could buy a second-hand Solitaire MK-II poweramplifier. The lack of any distortion, the place of voices and instruments in realistic deep and wide soundspace are convincing qualities. In my opinion this is the first solid-state main amp witch can compare and beat the involvation in music that tube power amps usually have.

The Metaxas Solitaire performs very stable into the 1,5 ohm speakerload of my Infinity QRS midrange and high magnetostatic loudspeakers with an active crossover to Eton 580/11/hexacones.

When very precise and realistic reproduction of recorded (acoustic) music is your aim, I highly recommend Metaxas' equipment.

Purchased At:   1994/2003