Meridian 558 Amplifiers

5 channel amplifier rated at 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms (180W all channels driven). Can also be used as a 3 channel amplifier (2 at >500W into 8 ohms stereo (bridged) plus 1 at 200W). Balanced and Single ended inputs.

Submitted by AVGuy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is simply the best 5-channel amplifier currently available! I recently upgraded my home theater system that was based on an old Lexicon CP3 processor and stacks of QSC amps feeding pro speakers (separate lo, mids and high cabinets). Initially I only wanted to replace the processor and while listening to a Meridian 561 processor at the dealer I also heard a 558 amp. I was so impressed I decided to also upgrad the amps (my actively crossed over system required two 558s for a total of ten channels). What a dramatic improvement! At first I was overwhelmed by the improvement in the processor, but soon it became apparant that the amplifiers where also largely responsible for breathing new life into my speakers. They sounded more dynamic, full bodied and musical. This is an amazing amplifier.

Purchased At:   Savi Technologies

Submitted by Jaekook Kim a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
Thanks Dorne, I know why your statement was so gapingly, short.
I would like to let you know that your review did help. Despite my tendency to shy away from virtually any writing assignment, I worked up my courage to add my review. This amp is THAT good.

I couldn't agree with more with Dorne. This amp makes you learn brevity in description. I am still speechless even as I write this review I'm listening to this wonderous amp in 5 channel music mode. Oozes awe out of you whether in music or in movies.

With 596 DVD player, and Tagmclaren AV32, this 5-channel power amp gives out performance that I have NEVER experienced. Not overly analytical although this amp itself seems to be doing lots of analyses.
Words evade me. Just don¡¯t forget to keep it on your shortlist for power amp buy.

If I may add, Dorne, I must add, ¡°still" the best to your single-line review. Thanks, Dorne.

Purchased At:   Daehan Music

Submitted by Dorne a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
The best amplifier money can buy under $10,000 period.

Purchased At:   paradyme