McIntosh MC7270 Amplifiers

4.71/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $2500.00

270W Solid State Power Amp (1985-1991)

Submitted by Richie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2017

Bottom Line:
I love this power amplifier, i own both tubes and solid state amplifier of different brands, this particular model, the MC 7270 is one of the best SS amplifier i've owned, very powerful and delicate as the same time, open, wide soundstage. It has to be matched with an excellent tube or SS pre amplifier, like any other high end amplifier to sound it's best, the source is equally important as the power amplifier, if you can find an excellent to mint unit, do not hesitate to get it, they appreciate in value as it gets older, the combination of the handsome looks, the blue dual meters, built quality and the excellent soundstage makes this amplifier one of the very sought after vintage amplifier.

Submitted by Larry a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
Mac. Great quality. Average Sound.
Always was. Still is. Great consistency.
Beautiful to look at. Agree, you can
always find someone to buy it used. It
clearly beats the pants off panasonic.
It clearly is good enough for 90% of the
stereo buyers, although so is panasonic.
I say chunck your panasonic, chunck your
Bose and buy Mac. It is absolutely a
big step up from these.

Submitted by ben garland a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
This review is on the Mac 7270 power amp, in the past 25 years I had the pleasure of owning about 3000 audio items have always found Mac to be a excellent buy in quality and sound, one always knows that you will always be able to sell your Mac for what you paid or more.this amp is the 7270 a 270 watt per channel amp.in sound this amp is not the best I have heard from mac, in fact I find it to be the worst.i have owned the CJ premier 11a and the quicksilver silvers both are tube type and that maybe a unfair comparison,but in the past I have always loved the Mac sound but not this time .the 7270 is just flat lifeless,it may very well have been my sources but I must say it just sounded flat dull.if you are looking for a Mac I would urge you to be well aware of the sound before you buy the 7270,on the other hand in the right set up it may very well be a great sounding amp.

Purchased At:   bought used

Submitted by Rick Cesario a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have used this unit since 1987 and its performance has been flawless. I have it coupled with Infinity 9 Kappa speakers which togther provide excellent sound throughout the audio range. Beats the pants off any sub/sat combination any day of the week.

I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Submitted by Ruben Garcia a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
I fell in love with this amp. I used it for my music. I have a Marantz SR7000 as preamp for movies and to power the surroands. But for my music specially jazz and clasic there is nothing like the Mac. I am so happy with it. If you are thinking of buying this baby make sure you got a good one. I paid $2200 for a used one. as far as I concern is one of the best investment I have ever done. House of Music in San Francisco