McIntosh MC7205 Amplifiers

4.31/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $4500.00

5 Channel Power Amplifier - 100 Watts

Submitted by Sean a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2015

Bottom Line:
For those that say these are Japanese amps with a McIntosh label slapped on them I suggest you visit the Mcintosh factory in Binghamton NY yourself where you can watch your amp being build by hand.

Clarion did buy Mcintosh but as Clarion president Yutaka Oyamada told McIntosh employees, "...we like McIntosh as it is, and we have no intention of changing what has made it so successful."

Clarion did a very good job at leaving them alone for a very good reason.

I'm not saying this is proof that they are superior products but check you facts before you make silly statements with no basis in fact.

That being said, I use the is amp with my MX134 with very good results. This replaced a Rotel setup that I thought was very good. Using the Mcintosh lifted a veil I didn't know was there and all you hear is the music and not the components. this is the way it should be.

Submitted by deafbykhorns a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
I owned this amp for almost a year and it worked fine until one night while playing at low levels, the amp started smoking.
This amp has been described as Powerful, rich sound. I agree on this part however it don't agree with this statement: Built like a tank. Should outlive its ower. Well it didn't outlive me. Yes, maybe a fluke and a quality control issue but that's my experience. I'll keep my autoformer(MC352) main amp and probably get a MC303 which is what McIntosh is known for in the audio world.

Submitted by audiojunky a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
my question is what are the main differences b/t the mc7205 & mc205. as well i am using this amp with an mx-135 and plan to purchase a vintage mcintosh tube amp to run my front mains basically for music listening.

why the negative reviews?

also would you recommend the mc205 over the mc7205?

Purchased At:   3250

Submitted by audiojunky a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2007

Bottom Line:

why the negative reviews?

also would you recommend the mc205 over the mc7205?

Purchased At:   3250

Submitted by John a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2006

Bottom Line:

I've owned and extensively used the 7205 since May, 2001. The only problem I've had with it are the lamps that light the power meters have burned out. Other than that, I've thoroughly enjoyed it for over five years and thousands of hours. I, too, don't understand the negative reviews of this amp. I have other Mac amps (the 2205 and 2255) and granted it doesn't sound as good as those, it didn't cost as much either. Hey, we're talking about a 5 channel home theater amp here, not necessarily a 2 channel amp that a hard-core audiophile would use. Negative reviewers of any 5 channel amp should take that into account. I own a lot of Mac gear and have 25 years of experience with McIntosh products. If you can get one of these used, I recommend it. I also own the Mac 132 processor, have used it the same length of time, with nary a problem

Peerless: