McIntosh MC500 Amplifiers

4.8/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $7000.00

500 Watts

Submitted by ADIMAC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have several McIntosh models tried on my "legendary" JBL ti5000. A MC150 will be a better value for the smaller and exellent JBL ti models. Dynaudio Contour 1.8MkII is also an excellent match. Only the power (2x150W.)was not enough for my big speakers in extreme dynamic circumstances.
Now a MC500 has a better and straighter control of the 12'woofer. Midrange and high sounds more brilliant. All this results in a faster and better detailled sound. Even the legendary and unique McIntosh sound is always there when using the 8 Ohm Spkr.terminals.

Submitted by silver-mousquetaire a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
Sorry for my bad english. what can I say? I love this big amp! this marvellous product is musical, powerfull and... Maybe you can pourchase some amps which are more "real" (I think about the Macintosh sound that include a little lack of transparency), but what the hell! The music is here and it is the principal! Very recommended with Audioresearch tube pre-amp and Cabasse french loudspeakers.

Purchased At:   a friend

Submitted by Gary Shinall a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Absolutely The Best Amplifier I Have Ever
Heard In Over 30 Years Of Involvement In High End Audio.

Purchased At:   Ambrosia A/V In L.A

Submitted by Horst Reese a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have my used MC500 about a month now and had the MC150 before, which was a very fine amp serving all my (former) listening preferrences - clean but marvelous and never stressing sound. Today the MC500 is topping the `little brother`in every discipline. I can notice musical details I never heard before, bass performance is more accurate and you feel that this amp is driving the speakers with ease (German Physiks bending wave units). Look at the actual models from Mc Intosh: isn´t the MC500 one of the prettiest looking? As a side effect you even have a capital investment at least. Highly recommended!
Allthough I never heard anything better, five stars are principally impossible to give. There allways might exist an ultimative amplifier I just did not listen and compare yet... Exchange of experiences welcome!

Purchased At:   private occasion, used

Submitted by Robert a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
Another winner from the legendary McIntosh. Big, bold and beautiful. Can drive any speaker with ease. Sounds very detailed at any volume. Great for CDs.

Newton MC400 & MC500

I was curious to know if anyone has the CSW Newton series MC400 or MC500. I currently have 3 MC300 across the front of my home theater system and 3 of their surrounds in a 6.1 setup with a Hsu VTF-2 Subwoofer. I'm starting to listen to a lot of music (mainly Jazz) and the MC300's sound great for h ... Read More »

FGH 26: