McIntosh MC402 Amplifiers

• Exclusive Output Autoformers
  • Fully Balanced Input to Output

Submitted by Claudio Martini a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2014

Bottom Line:
Having enjoyed and listening to audio with all different types of equipment Such as Mark Levinson audio research Bryston and quite a few others that I'm leaving out for the last forty years I am now fifty seven, I always seem to come back to the McIntosh sound I grew up with, a McIntosh MC250 the McIntosh MC 2105 and the McIntosh C29 preamp these presented to me a organic rich and layered and extremely musical sound that's very hard to get away from I have always come back and this time for good with a McIntosh MC402Amp C2200Preamp Audio Research CD7CDplayer and MR88 tuner

This review is for the McIntosh MC402 which I believe it is one of McIntosh best stereo amplifiers ever made and I believe that it will become a legend like the MC 2105 in the time to come. I know McIntosh has come out with new amplifiers and a line of extraordinary equipment such as the MC452 and the rest of the McIntosh line which are awesome in terms of build quality and sound but the new Macintosh sound is changing with the times faster cleaner more open detail not that it's bad but I believe that that MC402 will represent the true McIntosh sound of old and will be one of the last amps to have the original McIntosh sound.

The MC402 is MC2105 on steroids rich layered musical very very dynamic smooth and has incredible amounts of power the only thing that I feel that will better it is a pair of MC501 So if you find one of these amplifiers grab it I believe it is the best bargain in Audio today.

Submitted by casablanca1969 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2008

Bottom Line:
MC402 sound one of the warmest in the solid state power amplifiers. Though it never sound as lively as those famous tube amp like Audio Research, Nagra,VTL, ....etc, it does have to power reserve to drive the speakers loud and have a better control bass than the tube amp.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Anroj a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp to compliment my McIntosh C2200 preamp. I wanted to wait awhile before writing this review to make sure the amp was broken and that I had gotten used to its sound (or lack thereof). I love this amp. It is smooth, powerful, has great bass weight and pitch. The midrange is sweet and seductive and the highs are airy and extended. It also projects a wide and deep soundstage with recordings that were recorded that way and is very true to the source without being dry or anylitical. One of the things I have noticed about this amp is the three-dimensional quality that it brings to recordings. Performers have a presence with natural air and space around them. This amp is just seamless from top to bottom. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

mcintosh mc402 or mc602

I've been looking at the info on these two amps and I would like to know if one is better sounding than the other? I know there's a 200 watt difference but is there a difference in sound quility? Thank you for your input!Read More »

Atlantic Technology: