McIntosh MC300 Amplifiers

300w x2 Channels (1995-1999)

Submitted by Don a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2012

Bottom Line:
This kid had this amp and it had a buzz it(polar switch had dust in the contacts) and asked me if I wanted to buy it. At the time I had no idea how much it was worth but being a musican I remembered the old MC60"s and MC90's guys used to play bass through. I gave him 250.00 for it and pick up a MC26 pre-amp off consignment from a music store for 75.00 and there is nothing that can pry my hands off of this MAC! I also bought 2 heathkit speakers with altec A-7 horns and altec 15" speakers for 475.00 and reconed them one time sense 1989. I can here a triangle anytime one is used on a song. A two-way system with the magnets of the horn and woofer aligned is a beautifully phased sound. Remember the old "gray boxes hanging at Disney". Happy days!

Submitted by Henry a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
This amp is one of the best 2-channel solid state amplifier out there. Period.
After this model, MC300, McIntosh up'ed the high frequence range on latter models, e.g. MC352, MC402, to probably attract more buyers especially the younger audiences. But I noticed that their latest model, 2011 model year, eg. MC452, MC303 2-channel amplifiers, seems to go back to the MC300 principal sound, smooth and roll-off at extended high frequency range.
Well, if you have one MC300, hold on to it for life. It is pure and original Mcintosh sound.

Submitted by bosco2362 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I , like many others on this site, purchased this unit used. It took a long time to find one, but when I did I snapped it up. What can I say, Liquid,liquid, liquid. The sound coming from my Thiel 3.6's now that they are powered by this big Mac is wonderful. I can listen for hours with no fatigue at all, even with red book CD's! And of course, that great look and fantasic build quaility. It's to bad that some people that come onto this site leave some unfair reviews on products. I highly recommend this amp. Like I said, works greta with Thiel speakers.

Purchased At:   Private Sale

Submitted by Mark a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was searching for this amp for quite a while. There are really difficult to find on the used market. Finally I was able to grab one and I've been happy ever since. This amp brought me so much musical enjoyment! My system consists of Sonus Faber Electa Amator II speakers, Conrad Johnson Premier 14 preamp and Theta Pearltransport and MSB Gold dac. The Mac was what I needed here: it gave me the additional liquidity, almost tube-like, rich and full bodied midrange with detailed but very, very smooth highs. There is incredible power in the lower registers with excellent control and dynamics, but that's what you should expect from a 300 W powerhouse. The soundstage extends well beyond the room boundaries and is nicely lit.
There are also no excessive heat, buzzing or humming issues. This thing is dead quiet.
Frankly, before I had a chance to listen to the MC 300 I never even gave a Mac a serious thought. I'm glad I found out I was wrong.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Hwan Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
It is an ever difficult task to balance benefits and costs, and I found MC300, along with C40 Preamp, B&W N804 and Kimber wires and cables, to be as close to ideal as anything I have tested.

On the upper price range, I have listened to much higher priced Mark Levinson Monoblocks; ML may boast more accurate musical reproduction, but I did not feel a significant difference that would justify the price difference. If anything, I preferred the warm sound of MC300 -- it felt softer, gentler and very smooth. On the other hand, I listened to NAD and other amps that cost less than MC300 (MC300 most certainly was too expensive for me), but the difference between MC300 and NAD was too obvious to ignore, for NAD did not sound too different from the $600 Harman Kardon that I had had for the past 10 years, and it did not make sense to upgrade to NAD. I wanted a major change in sound, although MC300 was a bit pricey, there simply was no middle ground for me.

I mostly listen to classical music (strings, vocal and piano), and I found my system to be fully satisfactory for now, and probably for a very long time to come. I could not wish for more.

Purchased At:   Used