McIntosh MC240 Amplifiers

4.7/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $290.00

Vintage Vacuum Tube Amplifler

Submitted by Todd Marlowe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2014

Bottom Line:
IVE BEEN LISTENING TO MY MC 240 AND MX 110 FOR OVER A YEAR NOW ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW. 240 IS THE BEST IN THE LINE UP OF THE OLD MAC'S IMO. IVE COMPARED IT HEAD TO HEAD WITH A PAIR OF RESTORED MC 30'S. NO CONTEST THE 240 WALKED ALL OVER IT. EVEN THE MIDS!!! MY UNITS HAVE BEEN RESTORED TO PERFECTION. I HAVE SWITCHED THE 12AU7 TO A 6CG7 NOW IT SOUND EVEN BETTER. I RUN A SONY SX5400ES MCINTOSH MC 240 MCINTOSH MX 110 AND A PAIR OF JBL STUDIO 590'S. A BUDDY CAME OVER MY HOUSE THAT JUST GOT BACK FROM CES. HE SAID MY SYSTEM WAS AS GOOD AS THE 100,000.00 SYSTEMS HE HEARD. EAT YOUR HEART OUT.I AM IN TO MY SYSTEM FOR LESS THAN 6,000.00. CHEERS

Submitted by coupleduck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2012

Bottom Line:
I've had my MC 240 for 20 years. It's been paired with a C-20 preamp and a pair of JBL L112s. The best way that I can describe the sound is that it doesn't lie. Garbage in will be garbage out. With a quality source, whether analog or digital, I'm can't complain, to say the least.
I like the sound of the vintage Sansui receivers, like my 9090DB and the QRX 7001 which I'm auditioning right now, I can't say that they sound as good. Yeah I need a sub to get equivalant bass, but from the mids to the treble, the Sansuis can't touch the Macs or maybe any good tube setup. Tube sound is JUST something you need to hear and compare with solid state. It seems like nothing gets lost. it's such a full sound!!!!! I guess I'm sold on tube sound.
So. in conclusion, if you get a chance to listen/buy an old McIntosh tube amp, I'm sure you'll be impressed and satisfied.

Submitted by convivialist a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
Price Paid: $1750 for MC240

The Mcintosh MC240/MX110 combo is the "Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers of vintage tube audio -- pure honey". This particular Mcintosh MC240 amplifier was purchased with its matching MX110 from the original owner's wife. She said the two units were purchased new together in the 1960s. The owners manual was pristine but the units did not function and had years of grime on them with some condition problems.

My Mcintosh tech has been servicing Mcintosh for 40 years and knows the inside of these units. He is a minimalist and replaces only what is necessary; and while it was not necessary for this unit, he can clean messes left by prior amateur techs beautifully).

The unit was meticulously maintained and serviced only by the authorized Mcintosh dealer until the original owner passed away. Since that time, it remained installed in the wall that it had occupied since 1965; and it became non-functional and was ignored for 15-20 years.

When I picked up the repaired unit from the dealer, the Mcintosh tech said that the unit was functionally beautiful. He said it performs well above all original specs, and he elected to reduce the output to 55 WPC. After 20 or so hours of painstaking cleaning (mostly with q-tips and very soft cloths), the MC240/MX110 combination was ready to power up for its first test run in many years. I keep these at my climate controlled office where I can show it to clients and play them during business parties.

When powered up, there was only beautiful music. The MC240/MX110 combination is pure elegance: tight base, lovely mids and balanced highs.

So here's a toast to the fine folks at Mcintosh that invented this beautiful MC240/MX110 combo, the fine American manufacturing employees that assembled it, and to the original owner. The original owner's wife said he liked fine wine, but he loved his Mcintosh. I do too.

Strengths: sound quality, looks, value, history

Weaknesses:
1) Not all 240s sound alike, but most can be made right by a good tech if they haven't been too excessively altered.
2) You'll want to listen when you should be working if you keep it at the office.

Similar Products Used: Other Mcintosh

Submitted by Bill mc laughlin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
I got this amplifier here in Toronto from a friend, I was looking stereo power amplifier to use it togeather with Audible illisions M3, I went lot of music store with few 60`s prestige records such as John Coltrane, Sonny Rolins, recorded by master Rudy Van Gelder and I had few Philips records, J.S Bach the 3 violin concertos by Arthur Grumiaux etc... and I listen lot of amplifiers tube or solid state, they were very expencive and fancy, but they didnt apeal to me they were not musical, and they were lifeless. My friend ask me to listen Mcintosh mc240 and his tannoy 12" reds I took my Audible illisions m3 pre amp and went to his home, after listening few records I bought that mcintos , I was looking for this sound, it was great snare, accoustic bass, sax, and piano was amazing. I can listen 2 or 3 hours and I never get tired and I enjoy every second of it. I am not into Telark type of audiophile recordings we all know those recordings has great dynamics and air in their recordings and no performances. If you want to listen Performance from masters who did record for blue note , prestige, atlantic, philips, london you better buy vintage mcintosh MC 240 or I had long time ago Quad 2 they are very nice as well.

Purchased At:   from friend

Submitted by pangl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
It is rather curious to say whether something sounds great, or something that should sound great but it is not but you are so suckered they you *think* the sound is great. MC240 is the perfect case for this paradox.

I owned 4 different MC240, from all original to the fully updated unit. They all sound different. Unless you went thru my experience you would not come to my conclusion of MC240: MC240 should sound great, and it was probably the summit achievement during the golden age of tube amps. But my ears tell me they are NOT today, regardless of whether it's original (which is weird - the parts that contribute to its critical sound are not designed to last 40 years!) or modified (which changes the sound signature substantially).

Or put it bluntly: It is not cost-justified to pay $1500-$2500 for the sound of MC240. Of course, it is more stupid to trust Absolute Sound and buy all those Chinese made garbage which are made by sweat shops in remote villages in China. So don't feel bad if you still want to buy an MC240. :-)

The original MC240 sounds very warm but lacks resolution, precision (attack & imaging). If you play mono LPs with lax vocals you gonna feel like in heaven. But any reasonably modern passages would reveal all the weaknesses of the original unit which is 40-50 years after its birth.

The updated units - 3 in all I owned - varied from bare minimum parts need to be replaced for proper operation, to full blown "updates" - have something in common: They don't sound like the original unit at all and they sound different from each other. The warmth is mostly gone, the magical midrange does not have the sheen any more, and what you get is better dynamics, better extension and imaging at various degree.

I went thru the whole hell to tube rollings too. Frankly, I think RCA Black Plate 6L6GC is over-hyped on MC240, and RCA 7027A makes the unit sound awkwardly bright and thin. Tried different combo of Mullard/Amperex on the 12AU7/12AX7/12BH7. I think overall any original MC240 won't sound good no matter what, and updated MC240 sounds best with 7027A and all Mullard 12AX7/12AU7 with Amperex 12BH7.

In the end, I sold all 4 MC240s at varies time because unlike some people who have oil wells in their backyard, I cannot have something expensive in my setup that gives mostly *nostalgic* value. I mean, if you look at eBay closely, I think people are more crazy about how the chrome chassis looks - there could be $1500-$2000 difference for Christ's sake. Don't you find this amusing?

Do not get me wrong as an McIntosh basher. I used to be in awe with the MC240 sound. But once you get experienced it, and you experienced something much better, you would put things in different prospective.

It is an interesting side note that I know several fellow Audiophiles who owned vintage 15" Altec and Tannoy, and they worshipped the MC240. I crashed the party by telling them how any decent 300B SET would beat the tar out of MC240. And my prediction is true. I know. Because I went thru the same path.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Good bookshelf speakers for a MC240 tube amp???

I have recently inherited a McIntosh 240 tube power amp and C20 tube preamp - both are in the shop now being tuned up. So now I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf-sized speakers that will match up well with the Macs. The system will be in a small carpeted room (~10'x10') with about 7 feet between t ... Read More »

Dahlquist DQ-10 and McIntosh MC240 ???

I've been enjoying my DQ-10's for years since they've been powered by a relatively high-current Carver TFM-35 SS amp pushing 250w per side. I have recently lucked into (basically inherited) a McIntosh MC240 (and a C20 pre) that I'm considering using to power the Dahlquists. The Mac is rated at 4 ... Read More »