McIntosh MC225 Amplifiers

4.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $200.00

Tube Power Amplifier

Submitted by Bill Rawls a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
The 225 matches excelently to My Klipsch Belle's and My Klipschorns. The 104 db/watt efficiency of these systems is a must for an amplifier of this size. 118 db peak passages are possible without clipping - a must for any realistic reproduction of music. Try to get 118 db peaks from any of the low efficiency speakers ( less than 100 db/watt ) and you end up with an impossible situation.
The 225's have fixed bias, this should be critically set as I have found that amplifier signatures change with as little as 5ma. differences. The Sovetek 7591A's (not XYZ) are better sounding tubes than the NOS stuff being sold.

Purchased At:   E-bay

Submitted by Tom Farrell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
Over many years of experimenting with many products -solid state vs tubes I much prefer the tube sound. I recently purchased a 30 year old MAC 225 Amp and was amazed at the quality of the sound.My then current Cary SLA70 did not compare. I was hearing things I had never heard before on some favorite CD's with the MAC 225.Can I realistically improve the sound of my system by moving up to a MAC 240 or 275? Replies are appreciated. Also to maintain the MAC 225 sound signature should I continue with my Audible Illusions MOD 3 Pre amp(Tube) or move to a Mac 33 pre amp (Solid State). Any comments,suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

Submitted by George Lo a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have been using MC-225 for more than 5 years and that is the part I think I will use it for my whole life (I guess my next generation can still use them by replacing some parts). It gave you great and smooth sound especially in the mid to high range. Very impressive for playing songs by female singer. Don't think that 25 watts is small, it can still gives you very solid bass and sound stage.
Currently I have two sets of MC-225 to drive ProAC Tabelette 50 Sig. Other components include:

CD : Pioneer DV-S5
D/A : PS Audio Ref. Link
Pre-amp : Matisse Fantasy Line MkII.

Cables :
CD to D/A : Straight Wire InfoLink
D/A to Preamp: Straight Wire Virtuso
Preamp to MC-225 : XLO 1.1S and Aural Sym. Generation V
Speakers Cable : AudioQuest, Jade and Black

With this HiFi Set, I can now really enjoy my music especially live recording. It makes me feel like in the show!!!

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Kevin Duncan a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 1999

Bottom Line:
This unit has a powerful and dynamic sound that belies its rated 25 watts. The soundstage is wide and deep. This unit replaces a Golden Tube SE-40 in my system. I was supprised to hear a thiry year-old push pull amp that sounded as smooth and all around better than my much loved SE-40. It is a very revealing amp, also. Any failings in other components will show up clearly. The 7591A output tubes are a somewhat rare and expensive at this stage.

SFLAT: