McIntosh MC2205 Amplifiers

200 Watts (1975-1981)

Submitted by max11499439z a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
My setup:
McIntosh MC 2205 amplifier
Martin Logan Ascent speakers
Rotel 1070 CDP
SignalCable Ultra interconnects
SignalCable Ultra bi-wire speaker cables

Note that like a previous reviewer, I have not added a pre-amp to this relatively simple system in order to remove any unneeded pre-amp coloration. With that said, the sound of the system and the perfomance of the MC 2205 is excellent. Resolution of vocals, guitars and percussion within a wide soundstage is very good. I have listened carefully to my fovorite CDs including Genesis Second's Out, ELP Works, King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King, Yes Close to the Edge and Pink Floyd Meddle and can now pick up nuances thet could not be perceived with entry level equipment (in my case Adcom 550 amp).

Submitted by jawzx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
I took a 2255 (the "pro" version of the 2205) home to audition it for a while and came to the following conclusion: If I buy this amp I'll need to replace everything else in my system.

As I wasn't willing (or able) to do that I regretfully returned it and continue to enjoy my Onkyo TXDS494 and 5.1 channel audio.

The time spent with the Big Mac was a real kick and someday I hope to be able to afford the types of equipment upgrade I'll need to really enjoy an amp like this to it's fullest.

My Big 'ol Magnepan MG-IICs have never slammed or been as dynamic and hard hitting as they were connected to the 2255. I have always enjoyed the imense somewhat larger than life sound stage served up the maggies but I've also come to accept slightly flabby bass as the trade off... Not with the Mac. Connected to the 8 Ohm taps on the 2255 the MG-IICs broceded to show what happens when an amp can REALY move a lot of current around.(my little TXDS494 doesn't fall flat driving the maggies but now I have better idea of how much more room the MG-IICs have to grow) The 2255 could easily be described as "an 89 Lb Velvet Sledge-Hammer". It rules any speaker you connect, including the current-hungry maggies, like a benevolent dictator.

Bass resolution is phenomonal and the mids are clean and warm, without any distracting color. Treble is smooth and controled, even with speakers that actualy have good extension above 20kHz (the Old Maggies don't). Power output is rated at 250/ch at all output impedences and I beleive it. It never even got above "warm" when driving my maggies to ear-splitting, window rattling volumes. The quality of construction is second to none, It has pretty blue-green power meters, it has a shinny glass front-panel and great tactile knobs. It's a McIntosh.

This is one heck of an amp, even by modern standards.

Purchased At:   Local Used Equipment

Submitted by CX Siagian a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wow, this Mac is a great one. Makes me listening and really involved with the music. The sound it produces is clean, detailed, warm, transparent, with excellent soundstage. Truly enjoyable!

Purchased At:   From a friend

Submitted by Frank Phillips a

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
It's one of those stories you just can't believe. A great Mac amp at a fleamart for $20. Then I shipped it home to San Diego, and the glass panel got broken. I still love it. I will never part with it. It plays really great music.

Submitted by Jason a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
5 stars. Period.

As Ferris Buehler said, "It is so choice, if you have the means, I highly recommend it."

All light-heartedness aside, this amp is built like a tank, weighs 94 pounds, produces dynamic audio effortlessly in a transparent fashion, and has engineering qualities at which I marvel.

This is one component that I do not know where to begin my description of it. I will never sell it. I am not necesarily a McIntosh freak, however, I am a believer in this unit.

I am using this amp to drive a pair of 40-year-old Acoustic Research AR-3's. AR-3's need lots of power to sound well, and this amp is one of the only one that I have coupled with those speakers that produce audio so effortlessly.

To add further to the above description will lead to incoherent, awe-struck babbling, so I will leave it as it is. Try it out. The MC-2205 is amazing.

Purchased At:   Individual