McIntosh MC2105 Amplifiers

4.93/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

Vintage Mcintosh amplifier 105w/ch. Response 20-29kHz (+0 -0.1dB).

Submitted by doj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2016

Bottom Line:
This is my first Mcintosh and can't stop loving it.

I've got a full set of tube gears from the 1960s Dynaco, pair with a nice Focal ARIA 906 bookshelf. Purchase this MC2105 meant to be the power amp for my 2nd system of a pair of floor standers. I can say this Mcintosh sounds just like tube maybe only a bit shy on the airy full body vocals, but the low end is very taut and solid, better than the Dynaco.

I used to have a SS power amp (Anthem MCA20), I sold it because it's a bit hash and bright overall, I even had to add a tube buffer to smooth it down. But with Mcintosh MC2105, I can enjoy music for hours without being bored.

A true keeper.

Submitted by Allan Gregg a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2014

Bottom Line:
In 1976 I acquired a used 2105 and C-28 for $950.00 plus tax from a small shop in Indianapolis. A 2105 on eBay in 2014 Dec reveals typical issues with vintage amps: "it blew a resistor a day later. I took the stereo to a repair shop and they said it has bad capacitors and a resistor. The repairman said there was NO problem with the 2 LARGE capacitors. They replaced the resistor, but not the capacitors"

In 1973 I purchased a new Kenwood 8004 integrated amp for $300. The Kenwood was rated at 60 but actual output was 66 and 68 with distortion levels below McIntosh specs for tube and solid state. Still have the graph from that McIntosh amp clinic. The Kenwood performance line was almost indistinguishable from the the bottom line of the graph frame.

Flash forward 41 years and the Kenwood still performs like a champ without any service issues. Was on the verge of taking it to a shop but cleaning the input jacks with steel wool solved the static problem. Unlike the Mc it can drive six speakers simultaneously. Got rid of the McIntosh long ago.

Submitted by Roni Solomon DDS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
For years I have tried to get my hands on one of these for cheap. I would read stories on message boards of people buying McIntosh gear at estate sales for $20 a pop, or finding them on the side of the road in perfect condition. About a month ago I found a MC2105 that was "immaculate, stored for 30 years." I bought it for a song and brought it to a technician to have a look at it. Cosmetically, yes, it was immaculate, but it did have some electronic issues.

I called McIntosh directly and they were super friendly on the phone, all the parts I needed were in stock and not terribly expensive. About a week later my tech had completed a full restoration of my amp, everything from the output transistors to the capacitors. When I brought it home, I mated it with my JBL 4312a Control Monitors, new old stock PS Audio 4.6 Preamplifier, and modified Technics 1200 MK2. I was floored. I've heard plenty of McIntosh gear over the years, but there's something different about hearing it in your own home.

Like others have said, it is a very musical amplifier, I think that is what I like about it most, it is very pleasant. The official specs say that the damping factor at 8 ohms is 10 and 18 at 4. That would lead some to believe that the bass is not tight or refined, however, I find the bass on my 2105 to be very good. I would describe it as stately, not boomy or muddy. The autoformers ensure clean and distortionless power delivery at 4,8 or 16 ohms without clipping. I can listen to this amplifier for hours, at almost any volume, without fatigue.

Before I had the 2105, I had a Pioneer SX-980, a Sony STR-7065 and a pair of SAE Mark 2500 amplifiers. In comparison I found the Pioneer to be too bright and a little dry, the Sony to be pleasant but lacking enough power for my needs, and the SAE amplifiers to be too much power with poor reliability. All of the pieces of gear I owned before this, while good in their own right, did not suit my needs and tastes the same way the 2105 does.

For me, the years of waiting paid off, and I am thankful that I was able to get this amplifier and a full restoration for less than the price of an unrestored example on ebay or audiogon. I encourage anyone who has an interest in this amplifier, or McIntosh gear in general, to give it a shot. Even if you hate it (which I doubt you will) you can ALWAYS sell it and make your money back. As for me, I will never sell this amplifier, never. I'm selling off all of my other gear only because I don't see myself listening to it now that my McIntosh is in the house.

Submitted by fde a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2008

Bottom Line:
very very good, in any style of music.
sound opened, very to detail, very clean low frequency, very fluid medium, very precise treble, one of the best amplifier, than I have to listen

Submitted by muziekfreak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
Well what can is say, its a very strange amp! Not only because of the retro looks (It's from like 1969) Ik love the looks after a few days of adjusting to it offcourse.

The sound is tricky, we tested it with Infinity QE speakers. Did not work, harsh sounding no control at the high regions. And no low frequenty respons. With The Driade 103mkII (Topmodel of that brand a true legend) The same thing happend. LOTS of detail in the high and mid range. Yet again no low frequenty respons. Reallt annoying fact!!

Seen the fact i own a Dynaco st80 tube amp, And a audiolab m480 amp. Put them on those speakers and the ROCK ! With the MC2105 nothing ! Then gentlemen i had my last hope. The gigant Magnepan MG1 out of the 70'. Modified with supertweeters. Iff this is'nt gonna work then i trow away the MCintosh for sure.

We did it put the Mcintosh c26 pre-amp and the Mcintosh mc2105 onto the magnepans. As source we used a dual 503-1 turntable and a modified Sony xa50es cdplayer. Till our suprise ! THE ROCKED!!

FINALLY !! IT WORKS! i was so thrilled at that moment. Because you buy something and it does'nt work with the easy speakers. But with de magnepan the amp suddenly whas alive and kicking. What a dynamics and very good solid low region all of a sudden. We used Direct master vinyl of Norah jones,sara k,diana Krall..and stuff. Really nice the best sound i have right now ! And believe me folks, i had ALOT OF STUFF before is bought my mcintosh.

Now i'm very happy with my mcintosh set-up just bought meself a Mc1900 receiver that i want to use a tuner. It does'nt fit nicely with the c26 and mc2105..but who cares it works like a charm.

Purchased At:   secondhand