McIntosh MC2102
Description: <ul> <li>2-Channel Stereo Vacuum Tube Power Amplifier</li> <li>Stereo: 100 Watts per channel</li> <li>Mono Parallel: 200 Watts per channel</li> <li>Mono Bridged: 200 watts per channel</li> <li>Unbalanced and Balanced Inputs</li> <li>Input Sensitivity: 0.8v</li> </ul>

Submitted by John Copeland a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2013

Bottom Line:
Due to a relocation I have downsized my home listening area. My signal path now consists of a McIntosh 841 CD, a McIntosh MC2200 tube pre-amp, and the McIntosh MC2101, powering a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino speakers. All connections are McIntosh balanced xlr. All components were purchased used, but in mint condition with very low hours. After set-up and speaker placement adjustment, I am amazed at how well this system sounds. I enjoy jazz, R&B, Classical, and acoustic guitar recordings.
The MC2102 performs flawlessly. The all tube analog signal path works exceptionally well with the SF Concertinos. I don't require extreme volume, I am surprised at the bass response that the MC2102 provides with such small speakers. Don't miss a sub at all. All in all, it would cost significantly more money to exceed the sound performance is my limited listening space.

Submitted by carl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2012

Bottom Line:
Hi, after owning numerous Mcintosh solid state amps and finally a pair of Mcintosh mc 75 tube monos, I decided it was time to upgrade ,i bought the mc2102 with high expectations used at 4600.00 ,was I dissapointed, i thought it might be the mcintosh brand kt88's tubes,sold them off put telefunken small tubes and shaguang 50th aniversary tubes in it.was suprised at the change in sound ,but not impressed .i wish i never sold my mc75 monos. At a price tag of 7500.00 new, again not impressed. I am running a Mcintosh mc2200 preamp with klipschorns with akg crossovers.

Submitted by stereogal a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2007

Bottom Line:
As the previous reviewer, bought mine used. But, having an good relationship with FG @ Audio Classics (highly recommended), I paid a couple of hundred extra for the peace-of-mind that buying from someone who unconditionally stands behind their sale gives me. I was listening to a pair of MC275MkVs running as monoblocs. The wife wants us back near the grandkids and the condo over there simply can't support all the gear I've got, so needed a single amp. The MC275s are wonderful. I was 'anxious' to say the least. While the MC2102 sound is different, it is still truly excellent. It actually has a bit more 'punch' in the low end/lower mids. The top end is as smooth, but with more low end it sounds just a bit les 'there'. Overall, I will have to do a bit of adjusting of the speaker position and orientation and will try biwiring shortly to see how that goes. As with the MC275s, I've switched out the KT88s to Tung-sol 6550 reissues, and NOS RCA 'blackplate' 12AT7s and Tungsram 12AX7s. Very please with what I hearing and think I've found a keeper. Not quite the 'edge' that I particularly like in the MC275, but can't imagine it getting too much better. I'm listening to a pair of Sony SS-M3 2-way speakers and will be changing them out for a pair of MoFi's OML-1 2-ways this weekend. Bottom end is supported by a powered 10" sub, that I've had to turn down about half-way due to the stronger bottom end compared to the MC275. My listening is about 75% jazz with the rest being a mix of R&R, classical and whatever. About 50% FM, 25% vinyl and 25% digital. Other than weighing in at 88 pounds, it is a great amp to listen to and look at. As mine is one of the later models and has been back to the factory (broken glass in shipping), I expect a long and trouble-free life. I'll give it a pair of 5s. I would have voted for 4.5s, but not available. Excellent piece and highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Audio Classics

Submitted by Snugglebunnies a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
McIntosh, any McIntosh. "THE" American
audio icon. I always wanted one.

Remember the old saying, be careful what
you ask for, you might get it?

The MC2102 arrives at my door. Actually,
UPS throws it in my general direction.
I sign for the beast and the journey
begins.

I place it as gently as the 90lb. behemoth
will allow and it fires up...literally. I
think the term my repair tech used was it
"Flamed out".

The amp worked as it should for about a
day and then proceeded to blow up taking
out 3 of the KT88 power tubes with it.
McIntosh has the audacity to charge me
$100.00 each! (Sovteks, $25 everywhere)

I haul the now newly inoperative amp to
my local repair tech and I wait patiently.
He calls and informs me that McIntosh had
"issues" with this amp before. Apparently
a previous design flaw which McIntosh has
now fixed with a revision to a PC board.

A week and $125 repair bill later, I lug
the resurrected amp back home for another
go. I reinsert the amp back into my rig,
switch on the power, pop a CD into the
player and cross my fingers.

It's been about a week. So far so good.
But...I don't feel comfortable leaving the
room when it's switched on for fear that
the damn thing will blow up again. Prior
to purchasing the McIntosh I owned an old
Audio Research tube amp which I routinely
left unattended for hours at a time with
no fear of it blowing up.

How does it sound? It's a McIntosh...how
do you think it sounds? I'll tell you. In
a word...Glorious. My Maggies (3.6) never
sounded better. Together they make music.
I will not bore you with pretentious audio
jargon but suffice it to say that when I
sit in my listening room, my eyes closed,
immersed in some of the most enjoyable
music late into the night, I can't wipe
that silly smirk off my face.

Would I recommend this amp? Conditionally.
Taking into consideration that this is a
tube amplifier, and the way UPS seemed to
take sadistical pleasure in throwng the
amp around...literally rolling it along
because it was "too heavy" for him to
carry (send TWO people next time!),
I can recommend the MC2102. But make damn
sure you get a later version or one that's
been updated. Otherwise you may be in for
a rather expensive lesson, not to mention
the way your back is going to thank you
after carrying the amp back and forth
from the repair shop (was LOTS of fun!)

Oh yeah, almost forgot...it gets HOT!
Nice in the Winter but come Summer...

In closing, I "wanted" to give McIntosh
a 5 star rating, but all things considered
I felt that I could not in good faith.
Suffice the appropriate rating. I hope
that others have better luck than myself.

Remember...
It's not the destination, but the journey.
God bless the U.S.