McIntosh MC2100 Amplifiers

4.92/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

One Of The Last McIntosh Chrome Chassis Amplifiers - Solid State 105 Watts/Channel or 210 Watts Mono (1969-1977)

Submitted by J M N a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2012

Bottom Line:
Purchased this Mcintosh 2100 in 1972 at Norwood's Audio, Savannah GA. Absolutely no problems. Years ago compared it to 100+watt Audio Research SS amp with Magneplaner IV triple panel as speakers. With this comparison, no difference. Also compared to Hafler SS amp, no difference. Reliability 4+... No reason to change after all these years!
No hum, no noise, never too warm either even when left on for days.
Music is the reason.

Submitted by cuzzym a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've owned my two MC2100's, my MC-C28 preamp and my set of Bozak 410 concert grand speakers since 1975 and that's all I've needed since. Sure, I've heard other systems with fine deep lows response and crisp piercing highs, but the soothing deep bass response and the crisp crystal clear highs and mids that my Macs reproduce (coupled with my Bozak concert grands) does it in a manner less offensive to the ear. I should also mention that I have my concert bi-amped - using one 2100 to power the lows L&R and the other 2100 to power the highs and mids L&R (obviously setting both Macs in stereo mode). I've had only one minor problem with one of my Macs in 1979 -- the fuse kept blowing. It was ultimately sent to MacIntosh's factory for repair (the service tech did his best but was unable to pinpoint the problem0 and I had it back in about 10 days. The problem turned out to be a loose solder joint. I have had no problems since. New or used, MacIntosh are well worth the money -- for sound reproduction second to none and rivaled by others. They are all I've needed for 35 years -- you won't regret owing one (or two) either -- they will be all you'll need too!

Submitted by BJay a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
Bought my first 2100 Amp new in 1972. Performed flawlessly with heavy use until one of the llarge power supply capacitors shorted. Replaced both capacitors about four years ago and it continues to meet original specs. Just bought another 2100 from Audio Classics. Has a few light scratches but meets original performance specs. I intend to use the pair as 210 Amp monoblocks for my 2-channel system in which they drive my ML-1C speakers which I also bought new in 1972. These four-ways are totally smooth top to bottom. I just upgraded the cross-over capacitors with film capacitors. My system is so smooth yet detailed, I often play LPs and CDs till the wee hours of the morning . This is one of the best amps I have ever heard, anywhere. I am convinced it is not the limiting component in my system. Each time I upgrade a source component or interconnect, the sound improves. Not sure what I will have to do to reach to limitations of the 2100. Don't hesitate to get one if you have the chance. There are several shops around the country fully capable of keeping these antiques in perfect working order if you find one which has been abused. I have been using mine continuously for 37 years.

Submitted by trygve a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2009

Bottom Line:
i have two 2100s running mono for a total power output of 420 watts. i have to say this is a great amp you can run it all day and it will barely get warm. the sound quality is great for the price. the only downside is the amp makes a buzzing sound but you can't hear it when music is playing.

Submitted by wjack a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2008

Bottom Line:
I just got the Mcintosh 2100 amp about a week ago. I don't know how old it is, but it's got to be at least 31 years old. It looks to be in very good shape for being so old. I was using an Adcom 555 mkII amp. There is a definate difference in the sound. I've listened to about every cd and album I have thru the mac 2100, and it is very sensitive to the quality of a recording. A bad recording can sound very bad, but a very good recording can be breathtaking. It's especially impressive with music that was recorded with alot of tracks with different sounds. Listen to a cd by Jean Michel Jarre called Zoolook with this amp and tell me this thing isn't amazing. I'm going to sell my Adcom and keep the Mac. I'm listening to a cd of Ennio Morricone music thru the mac 2100 as I type, and it sounds beautiful.

Award-Winning Axiom: