McIntosh MC162 Amplifiers

4.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $2200.00

160w x2 Channels

Submitted by Hot Donkey Butter a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2015

Bottom Line:
I farted in a bucket. My phone was in the bucket. I recorded the fart on my phone. I played the fart back with this amplifier and it sounded so natural. You could hear the hollow sound of the bucket and everything. So I am very happy with this amplifier other then that now my phone smells bad.

Submitted by Ehsaanul Haq a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought McIntosh Mc 162 from a friend few days ago. Its really awesome. I am desperately desire to buy another one. If anyone is interested please contact me. My email id is. Ehsaanul_haq@hotmail.com.

Submitted by Efort a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a demo, and was used to using Rotel gear. I was a little skeptical at going from a 200w per channel amp to a 100w@8ohms, I felt I was stepping back, boy was I wrong. I lugged this home and set it up with my Rotel preamp, right off the bat I noticed a difference. The amp just seemed alot smoother over the Rotel, more laid back. After about a week, I said to myself, there must be somthing more I'm missing. So I went back to the dealer and bought a McIntosh C-41 preamp. Amazing, that's the only way to describe it. The Rotel gear was great, but the McIntosh gear just takes it to another level. I'm currently hunting down another MC-162 (there discontinued) so I can have a pair and bridge them. Can't wait.

My System

McIntosh MC162 amp
McIntosh C41 preamp
Music Hall mmf-25 (with upgrades)
Music Hall mmf-9 turntable
B&W 604s3
All MIT cables

Purchased At:   Audio Concepts

Submitted by Skyhawk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I listened to this product for about 2 hours. Connect to Energy Veritas 2.4 and Bryston SP 1.7 Pre/processor.

If I had to pick a word it would be liquid. The amp had terrific soundstage, and good overall tonal balance.

The sound of this amp is very "laid back" to say the least. The bass is not intrussive, but punchy. The highs seemed to roll off, and the mids were accurate.

BUT This fine amp ran out of steam long before a satisfactory reference volume.

Submitted by naveedafridi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
Excellent amp. It is a heavy, durable looking component. Simple and elegant.

The sound is secure, solid, detailed and musical. Thsi is the first amp, that moments after starting, I forget the amp, and my system, and find myself immersed in the music. No harshness or fatigue. There is no grain in the upper registers. Bass is strong and detailed.

And you have to like those VU meters. McIntosh blue....wow.

Purchased At:   Team Electronics